Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: Best 5th Film in a Horror Franchise?
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 5: The Dream Child 5 5.26%
Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror 0 0%
Diary of the Dead 3 3.16%
Final Destination 5 11 11.58%
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed 12 12.63%
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning 30 31.58%
Halloween 5 11 11.58%
Hellraiser: Inferno 2 2.11%
Howling V: The Rebirth 2 2.11%
Leprechaun in the Hood 0 0%
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones 1 1.05%
Resident Evil: Retribution 3 3.16%
Return to Sleepaway Camp 1 1.05%
Saw V 2 2.11%
Seed of Chucky 4 4.21%
Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker 1 1.05%
Taste the Blood of Dracula 4 4.21%
Texas Chainsaw 3D 1 1.05%
The Amityville Curse 1 1.05%
The Mummy's Curse 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #31
booper71
HackMaster

WITCHCRAFT V. is a favorite 5. Wore out that old VHS by pausing too much.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #32
maybrick
HackMaster

How about the fifth Godzilla movie: Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster? First appearance of one of the best Godzilla bad guys ever!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #33
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I had to vote A New Beginning. I think it's underrated as a "so bad it's good" movie. A lot of parts are legit laugh out loud funny when they probably shouldn't be.

But this is quite a rough list.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #34
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I can't believe I voted for Saw V, but that's actually the best Part V on the list. Every Halloween I made it a tradition to go see the Saw films theatrically when they came out, even though after the first film they steadily went downhill and I really didn't give a shit. However, Saw V managed to, interestingly and successfully, tie up a lot of loose ends the previous sequels created through all their "twists", and somehow made me enjoy the series again for the first time since the first film. But then Part 6 and 7 (and I guess 2,3, and 4) ruined the entire franchise.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #35
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Saw VI> Saw V.

I voted for F13th V. I've always enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #36
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
But then Part 6 and 7 (and I guess 2,3, and 4) ruined the entire franchise.
Really? I thought Saw VI was the best film of the franchise, along with I and III. V is what I'd consider the worst, with IV and VII not too far behind.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #37
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I enjoyed all of the Saw films except IV (the WORST) and VII.

V and VI got a bad rap, but I think most people gave up on the series after III and just disliked them on principle.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #38
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Really? I thought Saw VI was the best film of the franchise, along with I and III. V is what I'd consider the worst, with IV and VII not too far behind.
I actually remember very little about Saw VI, so I looked back on my rating, and while I still enjoyed V much more, I actually didn't give VI as bad a rap as I remembered, but for me it was pretty forgettable. VII definitely put the nail in the coffin though.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #39
shape22
HackMaster

This one isn't even close for me. Most of these films are among the worst in their respective families. But Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is THE BEST of the Hammer Frankensteins. Cushing is completely amoral and ruthless. And several of the suspense setpieces are so well constructed that they compare favorably to top-tier Hitchcock. Great film.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #40
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Most of these films are among the worst in their respective families.
Friday the 13th Part V > Jason X > The Final Chapter > Jason Goes to Hell > Freddy vs. Jason

Children of the Corn V > IV > VII > VI > III (> ? I didn't see anything after Revelation) (Sorry, Rhett, I still think Fields of Terror carried over Gathering's best feature - atmosphere - and improved upon the acting and character writing)

Seed of Chucky > Child's Play > 3 > 2

Hellraiser: Inferno > Deader (I really want to say Inferno was better than Hellworld... Overall, it probably was. But that last 30 minutes. Was... you really didn't want to be in the same room with me when I sat through the last 30 minutes of Hellraiser: Inferno.)

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 03-29-2014 at 08:10 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #41
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
my mistake. i got home and realized that the one i'm on is part 4, The Evil Escapes. I'm gonna watch it now. THEN i'll force myself to watch Curse
Hey, I really like The Evil Escapes. Pretty cheesy and fun, an early performance from Zoe Trilling is always good on the eyes, and the ending shot is HILARIOUS.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #42
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) would be the fifth Universal Frankenstein (but only the second Wolf Man) and would get my vote. It has an excellent opening scene and I enjoy it more than the first Wolf Man even.
The Universal Monster canon as you know gets pretty incestuous as it goes on. House of Dracula and House of Frankenstein are both cross-overs too, and then there are the Abbott & Costello movies. I went by the Wikipedia chronology, which really only lists Invisible Man and The Mummy as having a 5th proper film. I had to cut Invisible Man at the last minute to make way for Leprechaun in the Hood. Those are the kind of tough decisions we have to make around here...
Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #43
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
WITCHCRAFT V. is a favorite 5. Wore out that old VHS by pausing too much.
Crazy. Never knew anyone actually watched these movies. Have you seen enough of them to give us a ranking of each in the series? Genuinely interested. Haven't seen any, but was always impressed with at the very least the continuity of the covers for the 10+ flicks.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #44
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
I can't believe I voted for Saw V, but that's actually the best Part V on the list. Every Halloween I made it a tradition to go see the Saw films theatrically when they came out, even though after the first film they steadily went downhill and I really didn't give a shit. However, Saw V managed to, interestingly and successfully, tie up a lot of loose ends the previous sequels created through all their "twists", and somehow made me enjoy the series again for the first time since the first film. But then Part 6 and 7 (and I guess 2,3, and 4) ruined the entire franchise.
I've said it here before, but I really think SAW 4-6 did something few other sequels ever dared do, not resting on the laurels of the series like so many later sequels but instead going full on insular in folding back upon the past and present until they both become a horrible blur. Part of that is out of necessity because of Jigsaw's fate, but still, it was a blast seeing just how insane everything got by the end. I don't really know how people can like one of the 4-6 films and not the other, they really are almost all on the same level for me. There was a definite fall-off with 7, but it was still fun. IT's 3 that I'm surprised anyone likes. That one is like plaster, just trying to patch up all the dead ends and holes in 1 & 2 before we get the meaty story that starts in 4.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #45
othervoice1
HackMaster

After the lousy The Final Destination, Final Destination 5 was suprisingly really good and was a great wrap up of the series (although I bet another one comes some day). It gets my vote as best on the list
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote