Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #466
NaturesMistake
Stalker

My thoughts exactly. Wasted potential, I wanted to see more of them.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #467
maybrick
HackMaster

Here's an alternate theory: Terminus did an excellent, almost expert like job at corralling Rick and Co into the railroad car. Has anybody taken into consideration the obvious? WHERE ARE ALL THE ZOMBIES? It isn't as if they're bashing down the fences like they were at the prison. they're nonexistent. Terminus could also be corralling all of the undead into that one location and then destroying them, and that could account for all of the bones.

Here's another theory: When I think of boxcars, I think of WWII concentration camps. The area where those skeletons were looked like a war zone. Maybe it was a mass execution. Maybe Terminus needs slave labor.

Last edited by maybrick; 04-01-2014 at 12:44 AM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #468
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Spoiler:
Terminus could also be corralling all of the undead into that one location and then destroying them, and that could account for all of the bones.
Spoiler:
The bones were sans skin and most flesh, but still fresh blood colored. Even discounting why the disposed undead would, in this instance, leave a pile of fresh blooded bones, for what reason would those disposing of them skin them afterwards?

Quote:
Spoiler:
The area where those skeletons were looked like a war zone. Maybe it was a mass execution. Maybe Terminus needs slave labor.
Spoiler:
Again, the bones were skinless and stripped, but not clean colored (when corpses rot down to just bone, those bones tend to look fairly drab, not red and with fresh pieces remaining). Unless that mass execution was by filleting, that wasn't the cause.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #469
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
Spoiler:
The bones were sans skin and most flesh, but still fresh blood colored. Even discounting why the disposed undead would, in this instance, leave a pile of fresh blooded bones, for what reason would those disposing of them skin them afterwards?

Spoiler:
Again, the bones were skinless and stripped, but not clean colored (when corpses rot down to just bone, those bones tend to look fairly drab, not red and with fresh pieces remaining). Unless that mass execution was by filleting, that wasn't the cause.
Spoiler:
We're never given the time to inspect the remains for more than a split second, so really trying to state the precise condition of the remains is still pretty speculative. All I can say is that it was an awful lot of bodies to be "fresh". They'd have to have one hell of a voracious appetite, and not only that, but extremely fast at slaughtering.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #470
NaturesMistake
Stalker

I have to say, the remains looked fresh, like leftovers after a slaughter. If I'm not mistaken, a pile of feet was amongst the remains.
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #471
maybrick
HackMaster

New interview with Kirkman in Gimple.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Walking-...e-1079817.aspx

After reading it, the more I now firmly believe that they're not cannibals, precisely because that is what virtually everybody assumes they are. They seem to be trying to mislead the audience. As Gimple says, there's nothing there that explicitly says that they're cannibals if you haven't read the comics and don't know what is "supposed" to happen next. And if you read the comics, wouldn't you rather be surprised?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #472
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Spoiler:
We're never given the time to inspect the remains for more than a split second, so really trying to state the precise condition of the remains is still pretty speculative. All I can say is that it was an awful lot of bodies to be "fresh". They'd have to have one hell of a voracious appetite, and not only that, but extremely fast at slaughtering.
In this age of DVR, 'time to inspect' is no longer an issue. You can play, replay, and pause to your hearts content. No speculation needed.

Spoiler:
And given the number of people shown both inside the compound and outside it, there looked to be plenty of mouths to feed. And experienced butcher(s) (or many rural farmers, for that matter) can process a fair number of corpses fairly quick. Add in basic meat preservation techniques, and even the quibble requiring a ravenous appetite goes away.

In fact, it makes more sense to slaughter and process as quickly as you can - when getting maximum caloric input is a necessity, feeding an animal to make food is an incredibly wasteful choice. Wasting food on them just to keep them "fresh" until you're ready to eat them is a luxury that cannot be afforded - instead you kill them fairly quick (with some cautionary quarantine time) and process/eat what you can in the moment.

Now there is one part of the scene, IMO, that does fail the inspection assumption. In my experience when a rib cage of an animal is processed for meat, the ribs are not left as an intact group and all still attached to vertebrae. What would be discarded in a refuse pile would thus just be loose bones. But then chalk that up to showbiz decision making, not realism - such a scene wouldn't have had the same unambiguous impact.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #473
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
In this age of DVR, 'time to inspect' is no longer an issue. You can play, replay, and pause to your hearts content. No speculation needed.

Spoiler:
And given the number of people shown both inside the compound and outside it, there looked to be plenty of mouths to feed. And experienced butcher(s) (or many rural farmers, for that matter) can process a fair number of corpses fairly quick. Add in basic meat preservation techniques, and even the quibble requiring a ravenous appetite goes away.

In fact, it makes more sense to slaughter and process as quickly as you can - when getting maximum caloric input is a necessity, feeding an animal to make food is an incredibly wasteful choice. Wasting food on them just to keep them "fresh" until you're ready to eat them is a luxury that cannot be afforded - instead you kill them fairly quick (with some cautionary quarantine time) and process/eat what you can in the moment.

Now there is one part of the scene, IMO, that does fail the inspection assumption. In my experience when a rib cage of an animal is processed for meat, the ribs are not left as an intact group and all still attached to vertebrae. What would be discarded in a refuse pile would thus just be loose bones. But then chalk that up to showbiz decision making, not realism - such a scene wouldn't have had the same unambiguous impact.
An experienced butcher in this day in age is still largely dependent upon electricity, and there's seemingly not much of that going around. The refrigeration alone... Or a simpler explanation is that they could be feeding the zombies that are conspicuously absent from the perimeter. They probably have them all in a subbasement.

The thing to me that makes this whole enterprise unrealistic is that you could convince more than a handful of people that eating people is okay in an environment where food can be grown, game can be hunted, and there are still houses left to be scavenged from. I don't buy it.

Last edited by maybrick; 04-01-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #474
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
An experienced butcher in this day in age is still largely dependent upon electricity, and there's seemingly not much of that going around. The refrigeration alone... Or a simpler explanation is that they could be feeding the zombies that are conspicuously absent from the perimeter. They probably have them all in a subbasement.
Having personally watched chickens, rabbits, and once even a pig being gutted and processed using manual cutting instruments, I can definitely state you're drastically over-estimating the need for electricity. And with smoking or salting techniques, refrigeration is irrelevant.

As for feeding zombies, that makes even less sense - who would bother wasting their time processing a corpse to feed zombies? Given the messy eating habits of the latter, they certainly didn't leave those nice cleanly picked but still relatively intact bones themselves.

Quote:
The thing to me that makes this whole enterprise unrealistic is that you could convince more than a handful of people that eating people is okay in an environment where food can be grown, game can be hunted, and there are still houses left to be scavenged from. I don't buy it.
That walled and fenced, maze like compound looks mighty slim on secure places to grow food. Which - absent modern conveniences (as you like to bring up) such as industrial fertilizer, pesticide, irrigation, and combustion engine farm equipment - is highly unlikely to sustain a sizeable population.

Scavenging houses is a diminishing resource not up to the many months the series has established as having elapsed. Consider how much food the average person has in their home, then subtract how much is perishable, then subtract how much is consumed in the time period between when regional resupplies were cut off but most residents weren't yet dead, then eliminate from that a portion to pests or natural disaster. Now apply what remains to feeding many scavenging mouths for many months. Take a populace unwilling or incapable of wandering far from their safe residence (or even if they are), the amount of non-perishable foodstuffs left to scavenge just doesn't add up.

As for hunting, again, have you done any serious looking into just how little food one can sustainably obtain by hunting in the average post industrial age rural American setting, assuming there are even enough people in the group experienced with hunting (and not having to spend as much of their time ducking zombies)? A couple people picking off rabbits and squirrels to keep themselves trudging along is itself a stretch, but if you think a small town is going to keep itself going that way you're way off base.

Now am I convinced the assumption of what the folks are really eating is correct? Not yet, nor do I particularly care given the shock factor driven nature of the show means anything goes and it’s all just a whim of the writers carnival ride anyway. But every one of your reasons/examples of why things aren't what many viewers are assuming make even less rational sense or flat out don't match what was shown. Bottom line is you might be right in your objection, you're just doing a real poor job of making your case.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #475
maybrick
HackMaster

By the creators own admission, absolutely nothing in this episode conclusively equals cannibalism. It's all supposition based upon what people know from the comics. It's like how creationists begin at a preconceived notion and then proceed to look for proof to support their belief rather than how a scientist is supposed to look at the evidence and then draws a conclusion. Yes, it could be cannibalism, and I'm sure that the writers are eluding to that intentionally for the benefit of readers. But given what we can see there are easily at least a few other viable explanations to what is happening. Rick could have failed a test by drawing his weapon. Maggie and Glen could've similarly failed the test. The group could conceivably be the bad guys of the story. We don't know anything.

And I don't know if I'd consider Terminus a small town. It seems like there are only about 20 tops in their group. In a world with few humans and no annual hunting season to keep numbers down, it shouldn't be inconceivable that a group that size could survive in that fashion.

Last edited by maybrick; 04-01-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #476
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
From the moment the idea of Terminus was introduced I knew it'd be a trap, but just because they foreshadowed a trap doesn't necessary equal getting eaten. It would also work for trapping people for other nefarious ends.
I figured it would be a trap too. It's almost a cliche in post-apocalyptic films or shows. Inevitably traps are set, the men are eaten and the women used for breeding. It almost gets old being done so many fucking times, but it's probably what would happen if world was ending, so I give it pass after pass.

Strong season though, that whole second half was fucking dope!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #477
Mok
Helena Harper

I liked it. One thing though:

Rick: They're messin' with the wrong people!
Glen: K.
Maggie: Poop corner is over there.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #478
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Wherever they're going with it, I like it! Great season, especially the latter half. Loved the splitting up of characters, although a few of the contemplative musical montages got old.

I liked the band of rogues, too, and thought for sure the "Claimed!" rule would come more into play. Loved the psycho kid and her resolution as well. Deep stuff!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #479
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

I can't wait to pick up the new season on BR when it streets. I usually rewatch all of the previous seasons before watching the newest one. I don't record them from tv and I usually work on the nights when the new episodes come on. So that will be my time to catch up on all things Walking Dead.