Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #16
17thJuggalo
HackMaster
 
17thJuggalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,804
I watched this last night from the Arrow DVD that came out recently. Wow, this movie is in the upper echelon of the "so bad it's good" films. There were many scenes that were so awkward and ridiculous that they made me howl with laughter (while my wife just shook her head). I'd put it up there with Pieces as one of the top cheese fests that hasn't met the cult status of the Troll 2's of the world. Definitely recommended.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #17
shape22
HackMaster
 
shape22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I watched this last night from the Arrow DVD that came out recently. Wow, this movie is in the upper echelon of the "so bad it's good" films. There were many scenes that were so awkward and ridiculous that they made me howl with laughter (while my wife just shook her head). I'd put it up there with Pieces as one of the top cheese fests that hasn't met the cult status of the Troll 2's of the world. Definitely recommended.
Some online pundit once said the tagline for this flick should be "SEE HORSHACK NUDE." If that doesn't immediately identify it as a possible cousin of Troll 2 it probably should.

Between that and your comments I need to check this out. It sounds like a perfect candidate for my 80-proof cinema nights.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #18
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,449
This movie is terrible. I didn't find it as enjoyable as Troll 2 at all. It was like a corny Scooby-Doo ripoff with dialogue consisting of mostly terrible jokes and puns. I found it mostly boring.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
I thought it was unpredictable, freaky, and clever. Pretty much my top 3 for an experimental horror flick. It might have needed an extra body or two to up the stakes but as a kind of weird movie, it worked pretty well. More like 5.5/10 rather than a solid 6.

I endorse it. Meanwhile, the print that was on Netflix in 2012 was bad. I would have liked to've seen this in widescreen. And with a sharper mastering job, better black levels.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #20
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I thought it was unpredictable, freaky, and clever. Pretty much my top 3 for an experimental horror flick. It might have needed an extra body or two to up the stakes but as a kind of weird movie, it worked pretty well. More like 5.5/10 rather than a solid 6.

I endorse it. Meanwhile, the print that was on Netflix in 2012 was bad. I would have liked to've seen this in widescreen. And with a sharper mastering job, better black levels.
I hardly know what you're on about half the time
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
Dude, I've seen Chopper Chicks in Zombietown. One of the few times Troma let me down. This was more of a Troma movie than that was. I had recently seen this basic thing (alternate dimension, ghost town, soul gate) fail with Chopper, Phantasm II, and House II. So when I saw Hellgate, I was like: finally.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
dave13
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
This movie is terrible. I didn't find it as enjoyable as Troll 2 at all. It was like a corny Scooby-Doo ripoff with dialogue consisting of mostly terrible jokes and puns. I found it mostly boring.
Yeah, that's about it. Maybe I need to watch it again, but based on my single viewing of this a few years back, I thought it was a complete waste of time. The best thing about it was the poster.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Yeah, that's about it. Maybe I need to watch it again, but based on my single viewing of this a few years back, I thought it was a complete waste of time. The best thing about it was the poster.
I plan to never watch this one again, once is definitely enough The poster is definitely the best part, I agree.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Yeah, that's about it. Maybe I need to watch it again, but based on my single viewing of this a few years back, I thought it was a complete waste of time. The best thing about it was the poster.
I need to give it another viewing as well. I watched it a year or two ago hoping it would be another so bad it's good film like Troll 2, Burial Ground, Samurai Cop, Pieces, etc., but came away mostly bored.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #25
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
There is nothing so-bad-it's-good about Burial Ground.

It's just bad.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA
 
bruce h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
There is nothing so-bad-it's-good about Burial Ground.

It's just good.
There. I fixed it for you.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
There is nothing so-bad-it's-good about Burial Ground.

It's just bad.
This is right.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #28
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
There is nothing so-bad-it's-good about Burial Ground.

It's just bad.
I agree. I hated that one.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #29
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
There is nothing so-bad-it's-good about Burial Ground.

It's just bad.
You sir are incorrect.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #30
CPT HOOK
HackMaster
 
CPT HOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: US
Posts: 3,775
Mods, can we please change the name of this thread to "Hellgate (1989) - Any GREAT!!!!!"
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com