Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #46
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rift View Post
You are all dead to me.
Right???

I agree with one or two points being made, but... damn.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #47
Zillamon51
Maniac

I've always found John Carpenter's The Thing to be highly overrated. Certainly, the creature FX are astonishing, some of the best of that kind of stuff ever put on film. But the characters and dialogue are just there to pad out the film between monster scenes. It's really just a slasher film with a novel setting and a cool monster. All things considered, the 1950s original is a much better film.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #48
myhorror
Stalker

Every single film by Argento except for Phenomena. No doubt he is/was a talented director, use of colors, blah blah blah. For me I will never need sleeping pills...just pop in an Argento disk BAM sleeping in minutes. Phenomena is a masterpiece imo though.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #49
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
Every single film by Argento except for Phenomena. No doubt he is/was a talented director, use of colors, blah blah blah. For me I will never need sleeping pills...just pop in an Argento disk BAM sleeping in minutes. Phenomena is a masterpiece imo though.

Although I enjoy it. I actually think Phenomena might be his weakest film pre 1990.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #50
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Although I enjoy it. I actually think Phenomena might be his weakest film pre 1990.
Cat o' Nine Tails and Four Flies on Grey Velvet are both lesser films.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #51
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Cat o' Nine Tails and Four Flies on Grey Velvet are both lesser films.
Maybe if you don't like "who done it" films. I consider those two of his best.

Just finished watching (well mostly) the original Toolbox Murders. I definitely think the remake is a much more fun film as the original bored me to tears.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #52
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post

Just finished watching (well mostly) the original Toolbox Murders. I definitely think the remake is a much more fun film as the original bored me to tears.
The original started out great but after the first 20 minutes or so did slow to a complete crawl. I do like the atmosphere though.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #53
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Most of Argento's films are who-dun-its. Except Stendhal, Jenifer, Phantom, and Pelts.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #54
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

While I understand its cult status and artistic merits, the original Dawn of the Dead didn't thrill me on my first and only viewing. I think Fulci's cash-in, while less artistically ambitious, manages the visceral scares better.

A Blade in the Dark I consider downright lousy. The killer's psychology is not only unenlightened (even for the eighties), it's downright insulting. And my idea of suspense isn't having the victim standing there whimpering and attempting neither fight nor flight while the killer approaches slowly.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #55
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bruun View Post
While I understand its cult status and artistic merits, the original Dawn of the Dead didn't thrill me on my first and only viewing.
Granted, I was only a teenager when I first saw them, but neither Dawn or Day impressed me on my first viewings. It took me a few tries before I really began to enjoy them. To be honest, they're still not favorites. I haven't watched either of them in probably 10 years.

Quote:
A Blade in the Dark I consider downright lousy. The killer's psychology is not only unenlightened (even for the eighties), it's downright insulting. And my idea of suspense isn't having the victim standing there whimpering and attempting neither fight nor flight while the killer approaches slowly.
I didn't care too much for Blade, but it's better than Macabre. That movie has an interesting first and final five minutes, but the rest is an exercise in drying paint.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #56
rift
Stalker

That boggles my mind. Dawn of the Dead had everything a teenager or kid could want: wish fulfillment of zombie apocalypse, wish fulfillment of living in a mall and having the run of it, maurauding biker gang, great unrated gore, downer quasi-philosophical message with a glimmer of hope, real filmmaking from an auteur director working outside of the studio system...did I mention living in an awesome big ass mall and having the run of the place?

And Fulci couldn't lick Romero's boot.
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #57
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
While I understand its cult status and artistic merits, the original Dawn of the Dead didn't thrill me on my first and only viewing. I think Fulci's cash-in, while less artistically ambitious, manages the visceral scares better.
Well... it is a more visceral movie than Dawn. Which, Romero's film, was about that "hypnotization" of consumer culture on overload. It's practically hypocritical to even remake that movie on a big budget.

Quote:
Lamberto Bava never made "thinking-man's" horror flicks. This isn't a defense, I'm just saying- I think Demons 2 was a fluke.

Although... that made-for-TV movie he did, Graveyard Disturbance... that was almost a decent flick. (Oh, Zombie Dude: there's another reason I thought Hellgate wasn't so bad.)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #58
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Exorcist - I know I've brought this up elsewhere, but I just never felt it was scary. Effects and acting are excellent, but I never felt that invested in Reagan to worried for her and she/Pazuzu didn't really seem to pose much of a threat to anyone else other than suffering from elevated heating bills and having to have the carpet cleaned on a regular basis.
Just wanted to comment that horror movies have never really scared me; it's not something I look for to call it "good." I mean, sure when I was 5 even Young Frankenstein could be scary at times, but whenever I enjoy a horror film it's not because it overall scared me or gave me even just one fright.

I also have a hard time imaging the large bulk of posters here watching these films in a fetal position, their hands over their eyes except for the tiny sliver when you take a peak.

For me genre's like Crime or Drama and even the occasional toothless Thrillers do a better job at suspense to me than horror films. The good ones have the luxury of building characters first and foremost. I think Inland Empire was the last film to have me "scared" purely because it builds to the point where literally anything could happen. I hadn't gotten a knot in my stomach like that for a long nor had I gotten one since. And while it speaks of ghosts and hauntings I don't think anyone considers it supernatural horror.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #59
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I also have a hard time imaging the large bulk of posters here watching these films in a fetal position, their hands over their eyes except for the tiny sliver when you take a peak.
That's the only way I'd be able to watch any of the 46 Fast And Furious movies.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #60
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Lamberto Bava never made "thinking-man's" horror flicks.
Perhaps he didn't, and that's okay. But I at least think the equally silly Monster Shark is fun. A Blade in the Dark just doesn't have much to recommend it for a movie that generally seems to be rated high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rift View Post
That boggles my mind. Dawn of the Dead had everything a teenager or kid could want: wish fulfillment of zombie apocalypse, wish fulfillment of living in a mall and having the run of it, maurauding biker gang, great unrated gore, downer quasi-philosophical message with a glimmer of hope, real filmmaking from an auteur director working outside of the studio system...did I mention living in an awesome big ass mall and having the run of the place?
And there, I think, is why the movie doesn't excite me. That's a whole lot of flavours for one movie. One overly long movie. And I'm not saying that it's a bad movie or undeserving of its iconic status, but I didn't derive the viewing pleasure from it that I do from more focused genre classics from that decade, like Halloween, Carrie, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Omen, or Alien.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote