Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #61
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
The original started out great but after the first 20 minutes or so did slow to a complete crawl. I do like the atmosphere though.
Even the start wasn't that good to me. At first I thought the film was just going to be a string of murders, one after the other for the whole duration of the film
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Most of Argento's films are who-dun-its. Except Stendhal, Jenifer, Phantom, and Pelts.
Yea, I guess they are now that I think about it. My bad.
Quote:

Although... that made-for-TV movie he did, Graveyard Disturbance... that was almost a decent flick. (Oh, Zombie Dude: there's another reason I thought Hellgate wasn't so bad.)
What's the reason?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #62
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

There were a lot of horror movies in the late 80's / early 90's that threw unrelated, random "freaky" things onscreen and most were not very good or focused. I saw a lot of these kinds of movies. I mean, you did ask what I was on. I thought you'd like to know- Graveyard Disturbance was one of those movies (I was "on"). Spellcaster was another. Chopper Chicks in Zombietown was another. The Church, Witchery, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, the Children of the Corn sequels, the Nuke 'Em High sequels.

After that bunch, Hellgate seemed much more effective and focused.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #63
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
There were a lot of horror movies in the late 80's / early 90's that threw unrelated, random "freaky" things onscreen and most were not very good or focused. I saw a lot of these kinds of movies. I mean, you did ask what I was on. I thought you'd like to know- Graveyard Disturbance was one of those movies (I was "on"). Spellcaster was another. Chopper Chicks in Zombietown was another. The Church, Witchery, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, the Children of the Corn sequels, the Nuke 'Em High sequels.

After that bunch, Hellgate seemed much more effective and focused.
Each to their own I guess. Hellgate is still a film I'd never recommend to anyone. I don't mind bad movies but I found that one to be a snooze fest.

Another film I feel is overrated is American Psycho. It's ok but I never understood what all the fuss was about especially as the ending left me rather confused.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #64
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bruun View Post
While I understand its cult status and artistic merits, the original Dawn of the Dead didn't thrill me on my first and only viewing. I think Fulci's cash-in, while less artistically ambitious, manages the visceral scares better.

A Blade in the Dark I consider downright lousy. The killer's psychology is not only unenlightened (even for the eighties), it's downright insulting. And my idea of suspense isn't having the victim standing there whimpering and attempting neither fight nor flight while the killer approaches slowly.
I saw ZOMBIE a few years before DAWN OF THE DEAD (vhs) and I do agree with your p.o.v. I wasn't thrilled with DAWN after hearing all the raves for a few years. I had seen NIGHT/LIVING DEAD and when I got 'round to DAWN, it was so far removed from that setting and what I was expecting...it didn't even look like a horror film. I was disappointed but I gave it a few more chances before I started to enjoy it for what it is. Expectation can just kill the enjoyment for really good films.
ZOMBIE had the kind of thrills I wanted - but I'll admit it had long stretches of non horror action (the audience even in 1981 was a little restless). Still when it concluded, I felt I had witnessed something special.
ZOMBIE is also so far removed from DAWN OF THE DEAD in my mind that I never got the labels that Fulci's film was a cash-in other than the adverts and a few story elements (bodies wrapped in sheets - rising...; shoot 'em in the head). ZOMBIE actually reminds me of older films especially with the whole voodoo/island thing.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #65
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Each to their own I guess. Hellgate is still a film I'd never recommend to anyone. I don't mind bad movies but I found that one to be a snooze fest.

Another film I feel is overrated is American Psycho. It's ok but I never understood what all the fuss was about especially as the ending left me rather confused.
The ending was saying that he basically did kill all the people. But he got away with it because nobody cared. They didn't care because everyone in that "your friends are my friends" circle he ran in were so interchangeable. But he wanted people to care. He hated what he was and everyone he was forced to be around and wanted some proof that anything he did could make an impact.

The ending was saying that There Is No End. The 1%'ers are like a weird hydra. Cut off one head, or a dozen heads, and you change nothing. And no one notices because they don't look above the collar.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #66
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
The ending was saying that he basically did kill all the people. But he got away with it because nobody cared. They didn't care because everyone in that "your friends are my friends" circle he ran in were so interchangeable. But he wanted people to care. He hated what he was and everyone he was forced to be around and wanted some proof that anything he did could make an impact.

The ending was saying that There Is No End. The 1%'ers are like a weird hydra. Cut off one head, or a dozen heads, and you change nothing. And no one notices because they don't look above the collar.
There you go. I always thought the ending was saying it was all in his head.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #67
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
There you go. I always thought the ending was saying it was all in his head.
Me too. Though it's been awhile since I've watched it. The blu-ray is one of the black sheeps in my collection because the picture quality sucks so bad.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #68
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Me too. Though it's been awhile since I've watched it. The blu-ray is one of the black sheeps in my collection because the picture quality sucks so bad.
Maybe it's just open to interpretation? I've only seen this on dvd, plus I usually sell off blu's with terrible transfers. No point me keeping them if I'm not going to watch them.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #69
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Maybe it's just open to interpretation? I've only seen this on dvd, plus I usually sell off blu's with terrible transfers. No point me keeping them if I'm not going to watch them.
Perhaps. I'll have to watch it again soon. The wife despises the film, which is understandable. That's another reason I haven't watched it lately. As far as the terrible blu-ray quality, it's one of those films that I want in my collection (same with 28 Days Later and the Prophecy films), that despite how awful they look, they were too dirt cheap to pass up. I would have gone nuts if any of them went OOP and I would have to pay anywhere near the MSRP much less over it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #70
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Perhaps. I'll have to watch it again soon. The wife despises the film, which is understandable. That's another reason I haven't watched it lately. As far as the terrible blu-ray quality, it's one of those films that I want in my collection (same with 28 Days Later and the Prophecy films), that despite how awful they look, they were too dirt cheap to pass up. I would have gone nuts if any of them went OOP and I would have to pay anywhere near the MSRP much less over it.
I don't remember it being to bad in terms of gore. It was almost silly at times. The 28 films are another two I couldn't really get into. I'll probably give those a re-watch soon. It has been years since I've seen them.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #71
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Mad Man- One of the most unintentionally funny films I have ever seen. (that hot tub scene almost killed me.)

Motel Hell- It's been years since I've watched this one, but I never thought it was that funny, or clever for that matter.

Phenomena- One of Argento's most overrated films. I didn't hate it, but good God was the ending frustrating and underwhelming.

Amityville Horror (1979)- Why so many people talk this movie up is beyond me. Maybe it is because I'm from Long Island and everyone who lives around these parts knows that the story is bullshit, but even from a film making stand point I don't understand its appeal.

Poltergeist- I've meet so many people over the years who have insisted that is one of the scariest movies they saw as a child. I couldn't disagree more. I thought it was boring as kid and when re watching it in my teens I felt the same way. I'm sure if I were to go back and re watch it now as an adult my opinion wouldn't change.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #72
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rift View Post
That boggles my mind. Dawn of the Dead had everything a teenager or kid could want: wish fulfillment of zombie apocalypse, wish fulfillment of living in a mall and having the run of it, maurauding biker gang, great unrated gore, downer quasi-philosophical message with a glimmer of hope, real filmmaking from an auteur director working outside of the studio system...did I mention living in an awesome big ass mall and having the run of the place?.
No shit. I saw it as a teenager and it blew my mind. This was still in the pre-VCR days, and a lot of the more "extreme" horror films (TCM, etc) were not accessible. It wasn't on the first run (I was too young on the initial release) but a few year later when a watered down R-rated cut played on a double bill with Creepshow. I had never seen anything like it, even with the goriest bits cut out.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #73
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Phenomena- One of Argento's most overrated films. I didn't hate it, but good God was the ending frustrating and underwhelming.
I thought the ending was beautiful. Well, I'm not saying the monkey bit was heart-warming or anything. This is Argento we're talking about. Nothing is exactly on-kilter. But the underwater scene is to-die-for, the usage of sound, that gorgeous penetrating, emanating scream, the fire on the water, the typically sharp-as-a-knife editing, Jennifer swimming away as though she'd just been psychologically cleansed (some have called this a sequel to Suspiria, and you'll remember Jessica Harper had a similar reaction to the rain at the end of that film), the music...

DAMN I LOVE ARGENTO!

His most overrated movie: Cat o' Nine Tails.

That is all.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #74
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
I thought the ending was beautiful. Well, I'm not saying the monkey bit was heart-warming or anything. This is Argento we're talking about. Nothing is exactly on-kilter. But the underwater scene is to-die-for, the usage of sound, that gorgeous penetrating, emanating scream, the fire on the water, the typically sharp-as-a-knife editing, Jennifer swimming away as though she'd just been psychologically cleansed (some have called this a sequel to Suspiria, and you'll remember Jessica Harper had a similar reaction to the rain at the end of that film), the music...

DAMN I LOVE ARGENTO!

His most overrated movie: Cat o' Nine Tails.

That is all.
I don't consider Phenomena a sequel to Suspiria, but I have absolutely no problem believing that both films could take place in the same universe.

I'm not alone in the opinion that Argento was pretty infallible up until Trauma and Two Evil Eyes. It's almost as if by failing to gain success in the American marketplace he gave up on trying to be good. Most of his work for the past 25 years seems rather lazy and uninspired.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #75
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I still think Stenhdal Syndrome is an excellent film. For me, it was after that when he stopped trying.