Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Hannibal TV series

The new tv series of HANNIBAL starts this Thursday on NBC. Being a fan of the novels and movies, I am excited to see this, but not too sold on it being a network TV series. I have not followed much on this, but it looks like it takes place before "Red Dragon" as it follows William Graham's hunt for Hannibal. Not sure how long they can stretch out that storyline, but I'll give it a shot.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Well, did anyone manage to give this a chance last night?

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Ash28M
HackMaster

It's on my PVR. I should get around to watching it soon.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

This was my review:

Great pilot, but is it moving too fast?

Graham is a wonderful character, brilliantly seen and read in Red Dragon. This pilot is interesting because it kind of fits more with what we have seen with Manhunter, and that is perfectly fine with me.

I won't get into the plot, because we all know it. I will just simply say, this is a great pilot with some great familiar themes. My problem is it feels more like an episode of a miniseries rather than a TV show. I really hope Hannibal himself is pulled more into the background to allow for a network series gain some balance, because there is a lot of room for this to become a unique procedural drama. But I get nervous when an alphabet network gets a hold of a series like this because they inevitably begin to go for the cliché. Graham's visions, for example, I see becoming old if overdone. And if there is too much going on with the Lector story, this will burn out too fast.

I give this a six now, it could become a ten, but I see some things to be cautious about. If the show is smart enough to keep Hannibal as the secondary character he is meant to be and focus on Graham and the FBI, it has a good chance. Hannibal is a great antagonist, but the puppet master should not be seen unless need be.

This is NBC, there is a lot to worry about. If they want a Lector-heavy storyline then I hope they have an endgame in mind ala Breaking Bad, otherwise this will just burn out.

Fingers crossed.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
zompirejoe
Maniac

I enjoyed this very much. I know how the story eventually ends, but I'm interested in seeing what happens up to that point. Probably the best new show NBC has produced for a long time.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Mok
Family is Forever

I've been watching this and it's really great. I'm glad it got picked up for a second season. Too bad it's on at an odd time (10:00pm on Thursday) or else I think more people would watch it. Eddie Izzard just guest stared!
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Yesterday the folks at Entertainment Weekly wrote up an article showing off a Hannibal gag reel clip which had screened that day at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con. As part of their write-up, they revealed that Season 1 will be available on September 24th. The episodes, they say, will be more than just what was broadcast: "In addition to the 12 episodes that aired on NBC, the DVD includes the full version of an episode pulled from the schedule in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting."They didn't have the box art for Hannibal - Season 1, but they did have this list of bonus material they say will be on both the DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions: •Audio commentaries on select episodes with Cast and Crew including Bryan Fuller, David Slade, Hugh Dancy and more

•"Hannibal Reborn" featurette
•"A Taste for Killing" featurette
•"The FX of Murder" featurette
•"A Symphony for the Slaughter" featurette
•Full Gag Reel
•Deleted Scenes
•Pilot Episode Storyboards

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Han...#ixzz2ZY4Mlo7T
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Anaestheus
HackMaster

So has anyone been watching this? Over the past couple of weeks I went through season 1 and am now catching up on Season 2.

I won't say that it's great television (I hold Deadwood as the high standard) as it often gets a bit unrealistic in the plot lines. But, I've been very surprised at how good it is overall. The tone is consistently surprisingly dark and the visuals creatively surreal.

I read that the plan is to have Seasons 1-3 be new material and then for 4-6 they are going to tackle Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal. I am definitely curious to see how that plays out.

But, what I am most curious about is how fans of the books like the show. I've never really been a fan of the movies and really only liked Manhunter. But this show has really managed to impress me.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I'm a big fan of the books. The show, I like it, but not sure exactly what they are doing with the storyline right now. Kind of gets a bit out there at times. Better than most shows on TV though.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Mok
Family is Forever

I really like it but I'm afraid they'll fall into the Dexter trap of too many serial killers everywhere.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Just wanted to put in a real plug for this. At the time of my post back in March, I was still warming up to the show. But now, I have to say i am completely hooked and hold this one up as a high-water mark for non-cable TV. It's still no more gory than Supernatural, but it's all presented with such unsettling artistry that it really lingers.

The easiest shows to compare it to are Dexter and True Detective and I think I hold it in higher regard than both. It's certainly more disturbing and "upfront" than Dexter, especially compared to Dexter's 3rd-to-end seasons. And, while I understand the praise for True Detective (which shares a lot of thematic similarities) I think Hannibal is a more ambitious show. And for those who feared or believe that it follows Dexter's "serial killer of the week" format, the show does primarily focus on Hannibal and Will and how messed up their relationship is. And even when the show does introduce additional serial killers, it is almost always at the service of expanding themes and filling in the larger arc. Even the rather silly one from a few weeks back has become a pivot point for all the episodes that have followed.

Mikkelsen has completely become "my" Hannibal. I loved Brian Cox in Manhunter and I never really cared for Hopkins' turn in the role. For me Hopkins was too campy and almost bordered on playing him like Vincent Price at his hammiest, with no slight to Price meant. But Mikkelen has really captured that essence of evil. You can "see" the charisma, but you never buy into it. And, you never once root for him the way you do in the Hopkins films. And the show really does a great job of showing how well he gets into people's heads and all the damage that he does once he's in there.

And the soundtrack is amazing. That's really all I can say here. It's brutal, alienating, horrifying and I love it. It's the stuff of Scott Walker's or Gyorgy Ligeti's nightmares. As far as I can tell, no soundtrack has been released yet, but, man, do I hope someone gets one out soon.

While I did originally criticize the show for how unrealistic it was in the little details - everyone is ridiculously well-dressed, as a police procedural it borders on Scooby Doo for authenticity, and the dialogue is ridiculously stylized. But, I've come to see this all as just the way this world works and I have to say that I have grown to appreciate the conviction of the storytellers to stand by it.

I'm so excited that the show has been picked up for a 3rd season. But, I'll be amazed if they actually manage to get the whole 6 season run they are hoping for. As much as I love the show, it is easily the most alienating thing I have ever seen on television. The imagery and sound design almost seem like they are challenges to the audience to try to sit through it. And that's just one more reason why I love the show. It has moments of (very dark) humor, but overall this is one massive trip into the heart of darkness and they want to make sure you take in all the sights on this tour.

If anyone here has been avoiding it, or even if anyone turned off after the first few episodes, I really would recommend giving it a look. It is easily one of the most unique and adventurous shows on television.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
Mok
Family is Forever

Right on, I second that! This is the best one on TV right now. Although I disagree about rooting for Hannibal. Everything these characters do and say falls perfectly in line with the characters from Silence of the Lambs and Manhunter films. I often imagine Anthony Hopkins reciting the lines Mikkelsen says and it all fits.

And my fears about this show falling into the Dexter trap have been assuaged but the reason is sort of a spoiler but it's also pretty awesome so..
Spoiler:
(Most of the killers are former patients of Hannibal and cultivated by his design.)
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Holy fuck. Just watched the season finale. Surprising. Frustrating. Stunning.

Mikkelsen's "Hannibal in action" was fantastic, brutal, and such a wonderfully chilling performance. And his moments of heart-break were equally crushing.

And the continuous score was brilliant. I really hope they start releasing a soundtrack for this some time soon.

Season 3 can not come soon enough for me.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Although I disagree about rooting for Hannibal.
One (of the many) things that really turned me off of the Hopkins films is that you are rooting for Hannibal at the end of "Silence.." You want him to be free to go after Chilton. And for all his manipulation he ends up only helping Clarice catch the "real" villain of the film and come to terms with her own issues. By the end, he is portrayed as someone who only kills "the bad" people.

And, in "Hannibal" he basically becomes a guardian angel for Clarice. And, I don't think there are any points in that film where you are hoping that he gets caught. Granted, at least "Hannibal" had the sense to portray a world so ugly that it makes sense that Hannibal becomes a hero of sorts.

Whereas, I think Mikkelsen's Hannibal shows us how seductive and charming he is, but you never once forget the malevolence that motivates him.

I know Hopkins has many many admirers. And I don't mean to imply that any of them are "wrong." But, I've never really warmed to him as a actor and I rarely like him in any of his performances. But his (and Demme's) presentation of the character has always bothered me. Some of that is Hopkins fault. But, admittedly, a larger portion is probably Demme's. Or maybe Harris'.