Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #271
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

I have no doubt they will eventually release standard editions of these. They worked too hard on the transfers not to get all the money they can out of these films. They know a lot of people just want standard editions.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #272
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Anyone that chose the Arrow versions probably aren't huge fans of the films, as Synapse releases blows their versions out of the water.
I think that's a little unfair. Some people just can't afford to spend $100 on two films. Now, I didn't buy either because - you guessed it - I'm just not a huge fan of the films...not huge enough to need to upgrade my more-than-serviceable anamorphic Anchor Bay DVDs, anyway. But even if I was a huge fan, $100 for the two films is just too much for me to justify. I probably would have opted for the Arrow releases.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #273
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I would say selling them out within a year at that price is a success. With the $60 Possession Blu-ray and $80 Nightbreed Blu-ray, people should be grateful this was only $50, especially considering all the work they put into it. I'm fine with paying a little extra if I know I'm getting a quality transfer, various audio channels, lots of extras, and a cool steelbook to top it off. People are fine paying $25-$30 for mediocre transfers and barebones movies, I don't see what the big deal is? I'd rather have one of these than two or three mediocre discs personally.

Anyone that chose the Arrow versions probably aren't huge fans of the films, as Synapse releases blows their versions out of the water.
As far as I know, both of those other films you mentioned had/have a cheaper version available also whereas Synapse does not.
I enjoy these films but the Arrow release was a great deal cheaper, contained both films and was easy to find and buy online with shipping to Australia.

If Synapse releases standard editions in the future I'll consider getting their version. Hopefully they do a double pack so I can save shelf space as well.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #274
killit
Maniac

To be honest the synapse transfers aren't all that great, neither are the arrow of course. But man does the mono demons soundtrack sound like shit on this release (and that's usually my preferred.) The intl stereo is the only way to go, while I love kreator and all that, I loathe the steelbooks and their covers. A think a two pack digibook, with a soundtrack cd or something for 49.95 with both films would have been awesome. Speaking of Demons soundtracks, where are you death waltz!

Last edited by killit; 07-10-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typos
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #275
Stige
HackMaster

I found the colors on Demons2 too much. With the Arrow I don't have any trouble making out what was happening, not so with the Synapse version. I own the special editions of both from both companies.
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #276
Paul_s
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by killit View Post
To be honest the synapse transfers aren't all that great, neither are the arrow of course. But man does the mono demons soundtrack sound like shit on this release (and that's usually my preferred.) The intl stereo is the only way to go, while I love kreator and all that, I loathe the steelbooks and their covers. A think a two pack digibook, with a soundtrack cd or something for 49.95 with both films would have been awesome. Speaking of Demons soundtracks, where are you death waltz!

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ess=#vergleich

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ess=#vergleich

The Synapse versions are perfect (imo) given the age of the source material.
For the price they are a bargain. Not sure why Arrow chose the horrid cool/blue filter with regards Demons... kinda spoils it (skin tones look flushed).
Colours are rich and pop out on the Synapse disc...

and the difference between both versions on Demons 2 is pretty damning for the Arrow disc... it looks like someone did the transfer with a strong sun overhead!

Each to their own --- I agree with you on the soundtracks though!

Last edited by Paul_s; 07-10-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Paul_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #277
Steel76
Maniac

The Synapse transfers are the best the movies have ever looked on home video.
Trust me, i have owned it twice on VHS (UK and Holland), twice on LD (Japan and US), both Anchor Bay editions on DVD, and then the Arrow BD, that I sold and finally got the Synapse BDīs instead. This IS the best it has ever looked. There are a few flaws, especially on part 2, but those are on the negative, and have always been there.

I doubt I will ever upgrade them again.
Unless they release a super 8K transfer on some Über HD format 15-20 years from now
Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #278
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
The Synapse versions are perfect (imo) given the age of the source material.
For the price they are a bargain. Not sure why Arrow chose the horrid cool/blue filter with regards Demons... kinda spoils it (skin tones look flushed).
If by bargain you mean Synapse... surely they arenīt!
This was when Arrow had another lab for their Italian releases. They very much perfected it since then.
Just like Tenebrae, I wouldnīt be surprised if they re-released it down the road.

Last edited by Demoni; 07-11-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #279
Paul_s
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
If by bargain you mean Synapse... surely they arenīt!
This was when Arrow another lab for their Italian releases. They very much perfected it since then.
Just like Tenebrae, I wouldnīt be surprised if they re-released it down the road.
I'm hopeful Arrow will sort out some of their older transfers --- I've been impressed though by later releases ('The Beyond' comes to mind)

I don't mind paying Synapse prices as their attention to detail is spot on; I agree with others that they should've given people the choice of non-steel book for those with a budget...

Last edited by Paul_s; 07-10-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Paul_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #280
X-human
I ate my keys

3,000 units might be the ceiling for Demons, certainly Demons 2.

The high price wasn't in the steel book alone, it was in the restoration. The price tag reflects what Synapse felt the MSRP would have to be for the number of units they expected to sell. The steel book was added value for the high price tag.

This is not unlike Shout's $80 Nightbreed. The number of units and price point are where they need to make money off this venture.

Hell Suspiria couldn't even sell 30,000 SE DVD's in a decade, so for Demons to sell 3000 in a year is pretty damn good.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #281
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
The high price wasn't in the steel book alone, it was in the restoration. The price tag reflects what Synapse felt the MSRP would have to be for the number of units they expected to sell. The steel book was added value for the high price tag.

This is not unlike Shout's $80 Nightbreed. The number of units and price point are where they need to make money off this venture.

Hell Suspiria couldn't even sell 30,000 SE DVD's in a decade, so for Demons to sell 3000 in a year is pretty damn good.
THIS. Honestly, many Italian horror films have not looked as good as they could, especially in color which is a shame because their use of color is always so surreal, beautiful, vivid and artistic. If I have to pay a little more for them to fix it - I will! These movies to me are pieces of art.

I actually did not like the steelbook for Demons when photos were released but when I had my copy in my hands - I fell in love with the package. I even loved the included movie stub. I honestly did not feel gouged at all. And to top it off, shortly after I made my purchase they announced a very affordable blu-ray release of Curtains and Prom Night. I'm glad I supported them! And I cannot wait for SUSPIRIA!

Ok, so I have a hard-on for Synapse.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #282
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
And to top it off, shortly after I made my purchase they announced a very affordable blu-ray release of Curtains and Prom Night.
I'm not too happy about the prices of these steelbooks, but that's actually a really good way of looking at it. The SRPs on Prom Night and Curtains are super low! I pre-ordered Curtains for $13. Those are the two I wouldn't hesitate to drop $46 on, not so much the Italian stuff. I continually dragged my feet on Demons until the low quantity alert (and I really do love the movie), but will not bother with the upcoming Argento stuff.

I guess I can pretend I paid $46 for Prom Night and Curtains, and $13 for Demons and Demons 2.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #283
Zillamon51
Maniac

Good point: Didn't they have to restore both Prom Night and Curtains as well? So why the higher price tag on Demons? These are all cult horror titles that appeal to the same fanbase; I would say PN is probably more popular than Demons, but Curtains certainly less so. They should all be in the same price range. If the steelbook was a Demons 1 / 2 double feature, for that price I would've bought it.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #284
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
If the steelbook was a Demons 1 / 2 double feature, for that price I would've bought it.
Damn right!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:03 AM   #285
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
Good point: Didn't they have to restore both Prom Night and Curtains as well? So why the higher price tag on Demons? These are all cult horror titles that appeal to the same fanbase; I would say PN is probably more popular than Demons, but Curtains certainly less so. They should all be in the same price range. If the steelbook was a Demons 1 / 2 double feature, for that price I would've bought it.
Not really, it's like fixing up a house. Some houses are in good shape and need little work, some are pretty shitty and need a lot of work. They did a LOT of sound work on bringing together the alternate English dubbing which required constant syncing. Plus all the video issues described countless times now. It's all in their blog: http://synapse-films.com/news/a-demo...elease-update/

It's become abundantly clear that some people just don't give a damn about quality and so I wonder why they waste their time and money on HD at all. They just want something that's cheap. If you just want a cheap Demons steelbook on the newest fangled format then buy the Arrow release. Why are we still talking in circles about this?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote