Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Should they have made Michael and Laurie related?
YES, family matters. 18 33.96%
NO, that shit was dumb. 35 66.04%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #31
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorFan24 View Post
Was it Carpenter's intent for them to be brother, sister. Its kind of hard for me to imagine the sequels without the relation factor.
The family angle came into play with Halloween II. Carpenter has discussed this many times. The sister idea was the product of writer's block, beer, and a project he had no interest in. He never wanted to make a sequel to Halloween. He made his point with the final location montage at the end of the original. Evil doesn't die. And it's everywhere. Michael was the boogeyman--the mythical embodiment of evil--and still out there somewhere.

Unfortunately Carpenter was contractually obligated to a sequel. But he had no compelling ideas for the script. So he went with the sister angle--an idea that he knew was recycled and uninspired.

When Carpenter did the reshoots to pad the running length of the TV version of Halloween he included a scene referencing the sister angle to pave the way for the sequel. But that's the only link between that idea and the original.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

I voted yes, but it is what it is. In order to have Curtis reprise her role, something like this had to be done. Either that or have her killed off in the first 15 minutes like that other sequel.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #33
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Its very important to have made them siblings, I never really understood why people hated it. The opening sequence alone sets up a freudian psychosexual complex towards the sister, for me that makes him more frightening to me. To each their own, I guess.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #34
Zillamon51
Maniac

I just rewatched the first film. The scene where they discuss fate in the classroom is obviously meant to mean something. If Michael's actions are random, then it's irrelevant. The same scene could have taken place in biology class. Dissecting a frog would have been better foreshadowing. The idea of fate only comes into play if Laurie is born into the world with a murderous older brother.
Zillamon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #35
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
I just rewatched the first film. The scene where they discuss fate in the classroom is obviously meant to mean something. If Michael's actions are random, then it's irrelevant. The same scene could have taken place in biology class. Dissecting a frog would have been better foreshadowing. The idea of fate only comes into play if Laurie is born into the world with a murderous older brother.
I took it to mean that her encounter with evil was her fate just because it was meant to happen to her, not that she had evil in her family. I hadn't thought of it your way before, but it does kind of match up with the second film.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #36
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I think it's an irritating idea because it's too literal. It's explained too easily so that mass audiences go, "...oh so that's why he's after her..."
I love HALLOWEEN II but the mystique of the unstoppable phantom killer ends for me at that moment in the story.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #37
booper71
HackMaster

Should've made him Tommy Doyles brother, that way Tommy could get revenge in part 3 as a fake michael, after all his brother was shot twice in the face and laid motionless engulfed in flames while the Sandman took his soul.