Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Classic

Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #46
oaxaca

Peter Cushing?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #47
jenniferm
Screamy Bopper

Most classics I've seen were during my childhood. Probably the experience of seeing something new that you didn't understand and made a impact on you at the time. It usually starts with a good harmony in music, acting and story.
jenniferm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #48
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
To me, when I think classic, I think pre-1970.
In general, that's my definition too. Except the year of 1970 is so closely linked to 1969 and the line is so blurred. For example / best example is Dario Argento's The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. If you wanted to classify it as horror, there are sources saying it's a 1970 film while others claim it's 1969.

I'm being very literal there, yes. Personally, I say 1968. Since that was the year of both Rosemary's Baby and Night of the Living Dead. That way, all of Romero's and Argento's full length films are prominently featured in the more contemporary post-classic era.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #49
NaNa
Screamy Bopper

Influence plays a major role in classic and I would consider The Shining (1980) as one of the best example.

This movie has been receiving some good praising for a long long time. And also it has influenced many movies in that genre.
NaNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #50
Steve Freeling
Screamy Bopper

When I think of a classic, I think of a movie that's at least 20 years old with a great plot with real meaning to it, a well-written script, top-notch acting, quotable lines, and unforgettable characters that stands up to repeat viewings and stays in your memory long after it's over.
For example:
Poltergeist
(1982) ★★★★★
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) ★★★★★
The Razor's Edge (1984) ★★★★★
Forrest Gump (1994) ★★★★★ (it is almost 20 years old)
Jurassic Park (1993) ★★★★★
The Fugitive (1993) ★★★★★
Regarding Henry
(1991) ★★★★★
A Christmas Story (1983) ★★★★★
Home Alone (1990) ★★★★★
Jaws (1975) ★★★★★
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) ★★★★★
Groundhog Day (1993) ★★★★★ Big (1988) ★★★★★
Vacation (1983) ★★★★

Also, possibly any 4- to 5-star movie might be considered a classic.

Last edited by Steve Freeling; 04-05-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Steve Freeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #51
maybrick
HackMaster

My tenth grade teacher defined a classic as "of it's time". Supposedly that meant if somebody like Romero made Night of the Living Dead in 1948 instead of 1968 it would have immediately been shelved and not seen the light of day for decades. Eventually it might be noticed, but not before something else had taken it's place in history. At that point, it would cease to be a true "classic" and instead be a "too bad, woulda coulda" cult phenom. Sort of like Spider Baby became. Never quite hit the big leagues.

But my tenth grade teacher was kind of a dick. So screw him.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #52
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

"Looper" has the makings of a "future classic". I saw it upon first theatrical release and thought it was OK. Saw it again on Blu-ray and was blown away by it. I think the film could be listed among the best films of the last 20 years. That's the definition of "classic" in my book.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #53
X-human
I ate my keys

I think of a classic as fairly timeless, something that engages the audience no matter when it was made and when it is shown. Now some "classics" can be like time capsules but they're able to communicate the time when they are made universally. A bad time capsule would just confuse an audience of different eras, so the occasionally well done time capsule shouldn't define all "classics" as such.

There's something about the original King Kong that will let it live on past the '76 remake and the '05 remake. Doesn't matter that it's B&W and uses stop motion. It's also not like someone can walk away from the original with much of an idea how '33 really was either (it hardly hints at the depression for example). What it is however is told in an engaging way and will continue to find its audience.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #54
Anaestheus
HackMaster

For me, "classic" would mean representative or emblematic of a particular "class" of something. So, in the case of films, say "Bird with the Crystal Plumage" would be a classic of the giallo genre because it contains and/or helped establish all the elements that would typify the giallo genre. There is also a bit about all the elements being handled really well. But, basically, if someone asked you what _____ types of films were like, the "classic" would be the one that you would recommend first.

So, some modern films can probably be considered classic. I think "300" will get that reputation in time as it will be remembered as the first film that really exploited and showed off the potential of this new realm of digital film making. Even though films like Sin City, Sky Captain, and to some extent, the later Star Wars films all tread the ground first, "300" will probably be remembered as the first film where it all came together. Similarly, while the Spaghetti Western had been around for years, it's really Leone's films that represent the best that the genre had to offer.

While it's easy to think of the older classics, I am sure that many contemporary films like Lord of the Rings, Nolan's Batman films, Pixar's Toy Story trilogy will all be easily held as classics as the decades roll on.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote