Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) non-spoiler review

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
Directed by Marc Webb

6.5/10

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 like all superhero sequels thus far is not as good or concise as the origin based film it is continuing. That said,it is a fair effort with only a few blunder along the way. Firstly the good, Andrew Garfield is still on point as a really good and accurate to the source material Peter Parker/Spider-man. The romance in the film is probably the best done in any superhero film ever and is the best part of this film. This chapter has a better realised main villain in Electro (Jamie Foxx), who was better than I thought he would be on the strength of the trailer.

Now, the not so good, the film is far too long for what it is and could easily have had 30-45 minutes trimmed out. A good deal of the film was consistent to the tone of the first one but some parts stuck out as way too goody and harkened back to Raimi's hackneyed attempts. The Green Goblin whilst not as terrible as Willem Defoe's version was still pretty bad.

In the end you have a pretty good sequel with a few too many cringey parts but with some good set pieces (especially in Time Square) and some good emotional moments and some interesting set up for chapters to come. Go in with mild expectations and a good back pillow and you should have fun.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I enjoyed this one but was hoping it would be better. The first set a serious enough tone that made scene in the sequel feel off. The goofy music that accompanied Eric Dillan (I think that's his name, aka Electro) didn't feel right to me. Also Electro didn't seem to bother Spidy at all. I know he's fought a Lizard man before but I was expecting Peter to feel somewhat under-powered against him.
I thought the Green Goblin was decent. His role was small so I'm not going to be judging him too harshly in this film. We'll see how he fares up in the sequels though.

I noticed there were little bits here and there missing that were shown in the trailers. I'm wondering if a longer or alternate cut will come to blu.

The visuals here are stunning though. I'd easily recommend it for that aspect. All in all I don't think this is a bad movie but it could have been better.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
russweiss
Maniac

The film was ok. A little too much comedy for my liking. The first film was much better.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
The film was ok. A little too much comedy for my liking. The first film was much better.
It felt odd didn't it? I'm thinking this is one of those films I'll find more enjoyably on repeated viewings.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
scott71670
Maniac

Way too jagged in tone for me. It felt like the movie was striving for an Avengers feel good popcorn tone, then would feel embarrassed about itself. During this switch it would have to throw in some Nolan-type Batman seriousness scenes, which would eventually devolve back into its own embarrassment. Those scenes looked to me like they fell out of another movie and looked to me like they were eleventh hour reshoots caused more by marketing than direction. The worse result was that the tone switch sometimes caused the characters to seem flip and the film unfinished. And seriously, where was the ending? It felt more like the film broke when it reached the two and a half hour mark and we all went home.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
spawningblue
Deadite

I really enjoyed this. The visuals, action, and score were all amazing, no pun intended. I also thought this did a great job with the emotional scenes. There were several moments that that really worked for me on an emotional level. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great as always, and I thought Green Goblin and Electro were both pretty cool once they became their villains. As Max and Harry, their acting was off at times to put it gently. Giamatti was terrible as the Rhino though, as was that mad scientist guy! Thankfully they both only took up a few min. of screen time. Hopefully for the sequel they improve Rhino's look and acting. The tone was all over the place, and it felt long at times (thankfully to develop characters and plot though, and not wasted on action scenes), but overall I really dug it. This is the first time I think they really nailed the Spider-Man character on the big screen, even if I think Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie.

7.5/10 for me.

PS I understand people having problems with this film, but I'm really surprised to see all the hate this one is getting. People are comparing it to Batman and Robin and saying it is one of the worst comic book films of all time. Come on now!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 05-06-2014 at 07:43 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Mok
Family is Forever

You know what? Fuck these new Spider-man movies. They should have let Sam Raimi continue his run. They deserve everything that is coming to them. There was no reason to reboot so soon and had they kept the foundation Raimi built, Spider-man would have been in the Avengers. From what I'm hearing, this one is getting worse reviews than Spider-man 3. The only reason people liked The first Amazing Spider-man is because it retread the classic story and had Martin Sheen and Denis Leary who were able to strike a decent enough emotional chord.

Last edited by Mok; 05-06-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
You know what? Fuck these new Spider-man movies. They should have let Sam Raimi continue his run. They deserve everything that is coming to them. There was no reason to reboot so soon and had they kept the foundation Raimi built, Spider-man would have been in the Avengers. From what I'm hearing, this one is getting worse reviews than Spider-man 3. The only reason people liked The first Amazing Spider-man is because it retread the classic story and had Martin Sheen and Denis Leary who were able to strike a decent enough emotional chord.
Spider-Man would probably not be in the Avengers either way. One is owned by Disney/ Marvel, the other is owned by Sony. Avi Arad recently said in an interview the only way he would do it is if Spidey was the main attraction, and everyone else was supporting, as he feels Spider-Man is the biggest superhero out there. I'm sure Sony would want more of the box office as well. Disney will never do this, and doesn't need to as they are doing fine on their own. I really liked The Amazing Spider-Man, but I agree, it did feel like a retread. That being said, as a comic book fan, rebooting allowed them to fix the many problems with Raimi's trilogy. Adding Gwen Stacy as his first true love, not aging him so quickly, giving him web-shooters, etc.

My Movie Collection

Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I really enjoyed this. The visuals, action, and score were all amazing, no pun intended. I also thought this did a great job with the emotional scenes. There were several moments that that really worked for me on an emotional level. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great as always, and I thought Green Goblin and Electro were both pretty cool once they became their villains. As Max and Harry, their acting was off at times to put it gently. Giamatti was terrible as the Rhino though, as was that mad scientist guy! Thankfully they both only took up a few min. of screen time. Hopefully for the sequel they improve Rhino's look and acting. The tone was all over the place, and it felt long at times (thankfully to develop characters and plot though, and not wasted on action scenes), but overall I really dug it. This is the first time I think they really nailed the Spider-Man character on the big screen, even if I think Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie.

7.5/10 for me.

PS I understand people having problems with this film, but I'm really surprised to see all the hate this one is getting. People are comparing it to Batman and Robin and saying it is one of the worst comic book films of all time. Come on now!
Pretty much agree with all of this.

This is nowhere near as bad as Spider Man 3. Seems like the two many villains thing is still being thrown around now that the films out even though Rhino had like 5 mins screen time and Harry was the Green Goblin for maybe 10 mins. Haters gonna hate I guess.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

I may be the odd man out here but I have no interest in seeing this one. The first Amazing Spiderman was too sterile and lifeless. Say what you will about the Raimi adaptations but at least those films had personalty. I keep getting the feeling that they are trying to make this franchise the "Dark Knight" trilogy of the Marvel films universe, since they are going for a more dark and serious tone than the original Spidey trilogy, but they haven't sold me on it.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Not a fan of the Raimi films but loved both Amazing films, especially this second one.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Spider-Man would probably not be in the Avengers either way. One is owned by Disney/ Marvel, the other is owned by Sony. Avi Arad recently said in an interview the only way he would do it is if Spidey was the main attraction, and everyone else was supporting, as he feels Spider-Man is the biggest superhero out there. I'm sure Sony would want more of the box office as well. Disney will never do this, and doesn't need to as they are doing fine on their own.
I heard that Sony was going to provide assets for Oscorp towers for the Avengers city scenes but ran out of time.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I heard that Sony was going to provide assets for Oscorp towers for the Avengers city scenes but ran out of time.
That was it though. They weren't going to include Spiderman. It was just meant to be a nod to the Spiderman franchise.
Plus they were going to include the Amazing Spiderman version of the tower, so if any Spiderman was going to make it into an Avengers film one day it'd be that version.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
I may be the odd man out here but I have no interest in seeing this one. The first Amazing Spiderman was too sterile and lifeless. Say what you will about the Raimi adaptations but at least those films had personalty. I keep getting the feeling that they are trying to make this franchise the "Dark Knight" trilogy of the Marvel films universe, since they are going for a more dark and serious tone than the original Spidey trilogy, but they haven't sold me on it.
You should check out the second film than. It is not dark at all, and far from The Dark Knight. It's a lot of fun, though it still has some real emotional beats and character development.

My Movie Collection

Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
I may be the odd man out here but I have no interest in seeing this one.
I enjoy comic book films quite a bit - i've gone to see all the Avengers universe films in the theater, as well as the Nolan Batman's, and even Man of Steel. But I can't drum up any interest in Spiderman. In any incarnation, actually. Well, I do like the 60's cartoon...but that's about it.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote