Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

Directed by Anthony Russo & Joe Russo

6-6.5/10
I really enjoyed the Captain America: The First Avenger with its World War II setting and its old school adventure appeal in the capable hands of Joe Johnston who had worked on Raiders of the Lost Ark and directed The Rocketeer. With the modern day setting now in place however I was not sure how it would be, but he did look good in The Avengers. Another worry was it was being helmed by the creators of the tv show Community who were first time big screen directors. All things considered it turned out ok, it has some great stuff but some real problems with execution that hinder enjoyment.
Starting with the good, it has an interesting story to tell on both the larger World level and the personal level to Captain America. The tone of the film is excellent, not too goofy, just the right amount of humour and real consequences to the carnage. The effects and sound were excellent with a rousing and exciting score to boot. Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans were fabulous together and there wasn't really a weak member of the cast all around.
Now the bad, starting with the biggest eyesore which was how bad the combat scenes were filmed, they were worse that Christopher Nolan's with some of the shakiest an over edited combat scenes I have seen. The un-watchability of these was a real hinderance to enjoying the film because they are quite frequent. The big action scenes (non-hand to hand combat) were not quite as bad but still could have been much better. There was a fairly good car chase scene in daylight with a lot of gunfire that was good but I kept thinking how amazing this would be in the hands of Michael Mann. Also whilst the story was good and had lots of layers, they tried to cram too much in and parts felt rushed, they should have left some stuff out and made not only a more concise film but a shorter one also.
In the end I really enjoyed the quieter character moments and conspiracy moments better than anything the action had to offer and they are what kept the film going. It was certainly a lot better than the goofy Iron Man III and more even than Thor: The Dark World, so despite its poor execution this may just pip the Thor sequel as being the best of Phase Two so far.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
thing
Maniac

anyone seen this yet?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
dave13
HackMaster

my wife and I are planning on going tonight.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Saw it last week and loved it. Nothing bad to say. Probably my favorite phase 2 Marvel film.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Saw it last week and loved it. Nothing bad to say. Probably my favorite phase 2 Marvel film.
I would hope that's the case. Iron Man 3 was dreadful, and Thor: The Dark World was just...ok. After the high water mark of The Avengers, they need a particularly strong entry to prove that they haven't jumped the shark.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I would hope that's the case. Iron Man 3 was dreadful, and Thor: The Dark World was just...ok. After the high water mark of The Avengers, they need a particularly strong entry to prove that they haven't jumped the shark.
I found it exceptionally good compared to those two films.

Iron Man 3 is definitely better the second time around though. I watched it again a few nights ago and knowing what to expect I found myself much more entertained.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
baggio
HackMaster

Good movie. Way better than the first Captain America installment. I liked the plot & the pacing of the film and it was never boring imo. And another yes to that it was better than Iron Man 3.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
I found it exceptionally good compared to those two films.

Iron Man 3 is definitely better the second time around though. I watched it again a few nights ago and knowing what to expect I found myself much more entertained.
I have a hard time believing I'd enjoy Iron Man 3 more upon a second viewing. At least when watched the first time, the first half of the film appears to include a fantastic villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Good movie. Way better than the first Captain America installment. I liked the plot & the pacing of the film and it was never boring imo. And another yes to that it was better than Iron Man 3.
what didn't you like about the first Captain American film? I've spoken to a more than a couple of people who consider it the best of the individual films from the first wave. I'm not sure I'd go that far (I think I prefer Iron Man myself), but I really enjoyed it. I think in particular I liked the fact that it was a period film.

Last edited by dave13; 04-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
First cap America was boss! And at least you could see what was going on in the fight scenes

Last edited by thing; 04-09-2014 at 05:11 AM.
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
thing
Maniac

Quote:
it's the best of phase 2 but thst says very little as phase 2 has been a huge disappointment

Last edited by thing; 04-09-2014 at 05:11 AM.
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
russweiss
Maniac

I enjoyed Winter Soldier better than the first Captain America film also.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 AM   #12
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I have a hard time believing I'd enjoy Iron Man 3 more upon a second viewing. At least when watched the first time, the first half of the film appears to include a fantastic villain.
Exactly, so knowing what to expect the second time around I found myself enjoying the film for what it was, not what I was expecting it to be. That's how my gf and I felt about it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Umrah it's the best of phase 2 but thst says very little as phase 2 has been a huge disappointment
Well the more I think about it, it's probably one of my favorite Marvel films in general. I had no issues with the fight scenes. I thought they were done really well and filmed fine.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #13
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I'm pretty baffled at all the great reviews this is getting, as the first film was as cardboard as they come. I'm happy to hear it, though, as I've always liked Cap, especially since Ultimates. Glad to see he's finally getting his due on the big screen and outside of a team movie. Will give this a watch when I'm hungover and it's on VOD.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #14
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Exactly, so knowing what to expect the second time around I found myself enjoying the film for what it was, not what I was expecting it to be. That's how my gf and I felt about it anyway.

Well the more I think about it, it's probably one of my favorite Marvel films in general. I had no issues with the fight scenes. I thought they were done really well and filmed fine.
I thought they were the worst fight scenes ever filmed in a big feature.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #15
maybrick
HackMaster

I've enjoyed all of the modern day Marvel Studios releases (in this continuity) so far, some more than others, but at the moment the story behind Winter Soldier has yet to interest me and I was one to buy the first film sight unseen. Other than the trailer, that is. I'll check it out in a couple of months on video, but the herky jerky action cam never appeals to me and I've heard that it's pretty terrible in this one. I think that what these movies need is to have far less emphasis on SHIELD in the future. Hell, I already got tired of Samuel L Jackson way back in the 90s.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote