Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 06-12-2003, 07:55 AM   #16
Joel Groce

Throw in...

"Alone in the Dark" and "Visiting Hours" ... been wanting to see "Nightmares in a Damaged Brain" and "Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker" and "The Slayer" but "Halloween" and "Black Christmas" are at the top of the list for me!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #17
Dwhots
Victim

Friday the 13th series
Halloween series
April Fools Day
My Bloody Valentine
The Prowler
The Burning
Terror Train
Prom Night
Sleepaway Camp series
Slumber Party Massacre
Initiation
Slayer
Scalps
Scream (1st one)
Wrong Turn
Dr Giggles
Cherry Falls
Final Terror
Final Exam
To All a Goof Night
The Wrong Turn
Just Before Dawn
Christmas Evil
Don't Go in the Woods
Eyes of a Stranger
Happy Birthday to Me
He Knows Your Alone
Maniac
Night of the Demon (nothin like having BigFoot after ya)
The Prey
Silent Scream
Night School
Funhouse
Graduation Day
HUMONGOUS
PIECES
THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD
ALONE IN THE DARK
CURTAINS
DEATH VALLEY
THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW
MADMAN
SWEET 16
UNHINGED
HOSPITAL MASSACRE
THE MUTILATOR
DON'T OPEN TILL CHRISTMAS
GIRL'S NITE OUT
SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT
SPLATTER UNIVERSITY
BLOOD TRACKS
ANGUISH
CHOPPING MALL
BODY COUNT
EVIL LAUGH
SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE
CHEERLEADER CAMP
HIDE AND GO SHRIEK
STAGEFRIGHT

there's a few anyway
Old 06-13-2003, 03:17 PM   #18
Masterbrain

Sleepaway Camp 1-2
Friday the 13th - all
Maniac
Halloween - all
Stagefright
The Burning
Old 06-13-2003, 07:14 PM   #19
marioscido
Stalker

The 'slasher' has a specific meaning for me, and it also refers to a time period: the late-70s to mid-to-late 80s time period - the Reagan-Thatcher era of 'social slashing.'

Many important tropes reappear over and over in the 'slasher': an unknown or masked assailant, a terrible place, weapons (pretechnological: knives, shovels...), many victims, shocks/gore, and especially a "final girl" (Clover).

Of course, 'slashers' don't all neatly fit into these categories. There will always be exceptions. I'm talking in broad strokes here. But for me, the "final girl" is pretty essential. It's because of the "final girl" that now we have kick-ass heroines everywhere. The "final girl" was the transition from the "damsel-in-distress" to the kick-ass heroine. Just compare the original Barbara from "Night of the Living Dead" to Barbara in the 1990s remake. The "final girl" is essential to the 'slasher.' So in this sense, "Alien" (remember Ripley as a "final girl" before she became a combat hero) is more of a 'slasher' than "Maniac"! Why?

Like "Alien," "Maniac" was made right as the 'slasher' period was taking off and has great gore effects, but unlike "Alien," "Maniac" is focused on the daily life of the assailant. The 'slasher' is always about the victims. The point-of-view is completely reversed in "Maniac." We don't get the pov of the young victims, but Frank's pov. This is a character study in psychosis. 'Slashers' are not. They are formulas for survival - and that's why they are popular among younger audiences. Lustig says, on the "Manaic" commentary track, that he wanted "Maniac" to be like "Jaws" on land. Well, it's not like "Jaws" at all. "Jaws" is not a film made from the shark's pov! It's about those people who survive the attacks.

There is a continuity between "Peeping Tom" - "Maniac" - "Henry: PSK," but the are not 'slashers' - in my opinon.

"Halloween" is for me the greatest.
"Black Christmas" is a wonderful early 'slasher.' 'TCM' fits in there as well as a great early version (except for the pretechnological weapons).

Great pre-cursors: "Bay of Blood," "Psycho," and "Deep Red." But the povs in these films are very complex.

Last edited by marioscido; 06-13-2003 at 07:29 PM.
marioscido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 04:46 AM   #20
Atmims

In my opinion a slasher film is a film about someone who "slashes" people with knives, axes, whatever. Whether it be from their point of view or not, it's still a slasher.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #21
Zombi 2

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favorite slasher movie. Other than that . . . well, I'm not that into the slasher sub-genre.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:13 PM   #22
dwatts
HackMaster

I'm not a slahser fan because they tend to be so formulaic.

Having said that, Halloween is one of my favorite films overall, so that counts. Funhouse is good too. I have stagefright, watchd it once, must give it another try. I have not seen The Burning in many years, but would buy a decent uncut version. Friday the 13th just does nothing for me. I enjoyd them at the time. I recently rented the first one again, and didn't enjoy it. Maybe a THIRD try?
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:31 PM   #23
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

I like most of them, don't got a specific fave:

Hospital Massacre
The House On Sorority Row
Black Christmas
Halloween
Scream
The Burning etc

There's only one I couldn't really get into, even after multiple viewings

Final Exam

I love cheese but this one did nothing for me at all. Gimme The Dorm That Dripped Blood, The Initiation or Graduation Day anytime

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:06 AM   #24
STREET TRASH
Synthicide

This is a funny question since there are VERY few slashers that I don't like. My favorites range from classics like Black Christmas and Friday the 13th, to nearly forgotten trash like New Year's Evil and Silent Madness, & right on through the absurdly bad like Carnival of Blood and Don't Go in the Woods.
STREET TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:13 AM   #25
onebyone

Quote:
Originally posted by STREET TRASH
This is a funny question since there are VERY few slashers that I don't like. My favorites range from classics like Black Christmas and Friday the 13th, to nearly forgotten trash like New Year's Evil and Silent Madness, & right on through the absurdly bad like Carnival of Blood and Don't Go in the Woods.
See, that is exactly why I didn't answer this question, it is too damn hard. Favorite slashers? I love far too many, being slasher girl and all. If a slasher comes out, I am there and will most likely love it. It would be easier to name the handful I didn't like.

And New Year's Evil is one of my favorites, that is some top quality trash right there. I fear that I will have my vhs of that movie until the end of time, as I don't see a dvd release coming any time soon.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:44 AM   #26
r_burgos2003

YOU GOTTA PUT IN:

CUTTING CLASS
THE PAPERBOY
Old 06-21-2003, 02:18 AM   #27
STREET TRASH
Synthicide

Quote:
Originally posted by onebyone
See, that is exactly why I didn't answer this question, it is too damn hard. Favorite slashers? I love far too many, being slasher girl and all. If a slasher comes out, I am there and will most likely love it. It would be easier to name the handful I didn't like.
I think I'll do that. Ones I don't like, off the top of my head:

To All a Good Night
Trick or Treat (1982)
Blood Tracks......

Quote:
Originally posted by onebyone
And New Year's Evil is one of my favorites, that is some top quality trash right there. I fear that I will have my vhs of that movie until the end of time, as I don't see a dvd release coming any time soon.
I think the thing that draws me to New Year's Evil most is that it was made at the height of the new wave scene. The cheesy songs, the makeup and everything - love it. Can't you see Flock of Seagulls playing in that club?
STREET TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 AM   #28
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Sleepaway Camp
Black Christmas
My Bloody Valentine
Happy Birthday to Me
Terror Train
House on Sorority Row
Stage Fright
Curtains
Pieces
Prom Night

Those are my usual top 10, but I also love

Halloween
Just Before Dawn
Scream
Hell Night
April Fool's Day
Twitch of the Death Nerve
Final Exam
Alice, Sweet Alice
Night School

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition

Last edited by vampyr789; 10-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #29
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

And the award for thread revival goes to...

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #30
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

moongirl?