Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #31
chancetx
Stalker

How are "Squirm" and "Blue Sunshine" considered slashers?
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #32
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_burgos2003 View Post
YOU GOTTA PUT IN:

CUTTING CLASS
THE PAPERBOY
No, you don't.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #33
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
No, you don't.
OMG exactly I agree those movies suck!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #34
Erick H.
HackMaster

I'll limit my list to the so called "classic age" if slashers (from HALLOWEEN to the mid 80's).There's some fine films that would make the slasher cut BEFORE the release of HALLOWEEN (sometimes called Proto Slashers) as well as the Post Modern ,self aware types that followed SCREAM,but I'll stick to the heyday of the cycle.

In no particular order...

HALLOWEEN
FRIDAY THE 13TH
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
THE PROWLER
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME
PROM NIGHT
ALONE IN THE DARK
APRIL FOOLS DAY
CURTAINS
EYES OF A STRANGER
VISITING HOURS

Looking at that list I noticed that nearly half of my slasher faves are Canadian,thanks to our neighbors to the North !

Last edited by Erick H.; 09-25-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #35
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
No, you don't.
God, I love 80s slashers but Cutting Class is seriously... like, its faults are essentially the same ones afflicting most modern days slashers.

I think it's funny that all of these years after getting into slasher films, looking back, the 1970s-1980s really were golden age in terms of quality too. Some chalk it up to nostalgia but no. I don't believe that's fair at all. There are distinct differences between now and then, where it seems fans make them now but actual filmmakers with alterior visions helmed the chair before. We recognize what we like and what makes them work opposed to the negative critics of classics, but when modern directors apply this they often fail. I think that in its experimental and classic era there were ways to take risks with the genre. While now we do have post-Scream syndrome with twists and flips on the way it works, the core structure of it is very boring.

F13 1-5
Sleepaway Camp
Night School
My Bloody Valentine
The Burning
Terror Train
Humongous
Bloody Moon
The Prowler
House on Sorority Row
Alice Sweet Alice
Girls Nite Out
Happy Birthday to Me

And so so much more.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #36
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post

There's only one I couldn't really get into, even after multiple viewings

Final Exam

I love cheese but this one did nothing for me at all.
Well, many years later I must say Final Exam grew on me thanks to the DVD. Its not one of my favorites but I do get a kick out of Radish. He is the highlight of the movie no doubt.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #37
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
God, I love 80s slashers but Cutting Class is seriously... like, its faults are essentially the same ones afflicting most modern days slashers.

I think it's funny that all of these years after getting into slasher films, looking back, the 1970s-1980s really were golden age in terms of quality too. Some chalk it up to nostalgia but no. I don't believe that's fair at all. There are distinct differences between now and then, where it seems fans make them now but actual filmmakers with alterior visions helmed the chair before. We recognize what we like and what makes them work opposed to the negative critics of classics, but when modern directors apply this they often fail. I think that in its experimental and classic era there were ways to take risks with the genre. While now we do have post-Scream syndrome with twists and flips on the way it works, the core structure of it is very boring.
How would you actually characterize slashers today? Scream 4 is just about the only movie that revived the 90's formula, except Hellraiser: Hellworld which tried to combine Scream and Saw (I'm not kidding, there is a trap-design to most of the death scenes while the characters and dialogue are very late 90's). That's the last time we had a solid formula. Which died with Wrong Turn and the rise of the hard-survival flicks.

But there is definitely a nostalgia at work with 80's slashers. How many people on this very board have been posting, in regards to Friday the 13th, "what's so special about it?" Same thing with people who actually saw stuff like My Bloody Valentine and The Burning when they were younger, they think they are better films than they really are.

I say slashers don't exist today. They were incorporated into the run-and-hide survival-genre, where more than half of the movie can feature the characters hiding while their party numbers dwindle down.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #38
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I say slashers don't exist today. They were incorporated into the run-and-hide survival-genre, where more than half of the movie can feature the characters hiding while their party numbers dwindle down.
What about You're Next then?

That's probably the most slasher oriented film that's come out in a while. It's got pretty much every slasher cliche (though I don't recall any POV), it may seem like a home invasion film, but it's still more of a slasher film if anything?

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #39
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post
What about You're Next then?

That's probably the most slasher oriented film that's come out in a while. It's got pretty much every slasher cliche (though I don't recall any POV), it may seem like a home invasion film, but it's still more of a slasher film if anything?
You're Next is a slasher film, but it also fits perfectly into DVD-fanatic's description of modern slashers falling into the "run-and-hide survival-genre". Same goes for other recent slasher fare like No One Lives or The Collection. So they are slasher films, but they do lean a little too heavily into other subgenres.

It seemed like there was going to be a revival of the slasher genre back in 2009 with the theatrical releases of the My Bloody Valentine, Friday The 13th, and Sorority Row remakes, but that died pretty quickly.

Slashers do still exist, but they're largely relegated to the straight-to-DVD market. Which is too bad, because slasher films are really the only thing I'll go out of my way to see at the theater these days.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #40
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
But there is definitely a nostalgia at work with 80's slashers. How many people on this very board have been posting, in regards to Friday the 13th, "what's so special about it?" Same thing with people who actually saw stuff like My Bloody Valentine and The Burning when they were younger, they think they are better films than they really are.
There is definitely a nostalgia at work with every era. 20s-90s, and continuing as we continue to move. What I'm saying is that it is not JUST that. As you described, it's a survival horror now. Slashers are changing despite what people are saying about them just being the same.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #41
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
You're Next is a slasher film, but it also fits perfectly into DVD-fanatic's description of modern slashers falling into the "run-and-hide survival-genre". Same goes for other recent slasher fare like No One Lives or The Collection. So they are slasher films, but they do lean a little too heavily into other subgenres.
hmm okay. But don't most slasher films (even in their heyday) dissolve into the "run-and-hide survival-genre" towards the end of them?

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #42
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
SQUIRM
Squirm.. A slasher?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #43
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post
hmm okay. But don't most slasher films (even in their heyday) dissolve into the "run-and-hide survival-genre" towards the end of them?
But the newer ones are like one long version of the end payoff. Gialli and slashers both have slashing generally, but the police procedures among other things differentiate the two. It's the arrangement of the elements, not the fact that they're present.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #44
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Now that I think about, I don't think I've seen a modern day "slasher" film in years.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #45
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

My favorite slashers are the ones set in nature, Just Before Dawn, Madman, The Forest, The Final Terror. The meaner and nastier, the better. Major points for being scary and atmospheric.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote