Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-13-2003, 08:39 AM   #16
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally posted by Werner Von Wallenrod
I definitely dig it.

As far as special editions go, there's that R2 disc, with commentary the same 2:35 anamorphic transfer.
I had no idea this existed, but thanks for the heads up. I just ordered it from Blackstar (Bensons had one with a slightly different cover and no extras listed for about $1.50 less, but fuck it!)
The R1 isn't even anamorphic either, just widescreen letterbox.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:45 AM   #17
Damin J. Toell

According to Rewind's comparison, that UK SE may be anamorphic, but it's cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

DJ
Old 07-13-2003, 08:56 AM   #18
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Quote:
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
They should have released novelety masks during the premiere of the movie!
Don Post Studios released the official masks for sale through fanzines, costume shops, and other appropriate venues.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:21 AM   #19
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally posted by Damin J. Toell
According to Rewind's comparison, that UK SE may be anamorphic, but it's cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

DJ
Yipes! Guess I won't be trading that R1 disc after all. Then again, Blackstar said 2.35, so I'll wait and see what turns up.
Anyone have the R2 SE? Is it fucked?
Correct OAR means more than commentary to me.

My Fucking DVDS
Old 07-13-2003, 09:26 AM   #20
Luna

Re: Halloween III- one of the most underrated films ever!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cujo108
Is there anyone here who feels the same way about this gem as I do?
Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you. In fact, I wrote an Amazon review a few years ago saying basically the same thing because I felt the film needed to be defended. It seemed as if so many reviews said the movie was shit because it didn't continue the way they wanted it to, no Michael Meyers, no such and such character... I think the film is HIGHLY underrated and it's definitely one of my all time favorites.

I loved the creative deaths and the tension in the part where
Spoiler:
the chick starts attacking him in the car and he finds out she's a robot... you know, where she loses her limbs, etc.

Also, you really can't beat the
Spoiler:
total DOWNER of an ending! It stayed tight till the very end. I remember seeing this in the movies and people were actually yelling at the screen when he was on the phone trying to tell them to stop the video. How many movies try to come up with a nice ending where there's at least one survivor who got through the night and can live to tell others about it. At the end of this movie you KNOW everyone around the world is gonna die a horrible death, whether they were wearing those freaky masks or not.

Anyway, I LOVE that movie to death and the tune is catchy as all hell.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #21
Luna

Quote:
Originally posted by JW77
The "Silver Shamrock" masks were a nifty piss-take on the toy crazes of the early 80s. Anyone remember Cabbage Patch Kids?
Exactly... and the use of London Bridge's melody to countdown to DEATH.

Btw, I had a few Cabbage Patch Kids. If they ever started to
Spoiler:
spew worms, scorpions, roaches, snakes and other bugs at me, I surely would have shit my pants.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coverdale
I like it too. I have the theory that had it been released as just "Season of the Witch" with no reference whatsoever to Halloween, it would have gone down as a minor classic.
Definitely. I think the fact that people expected it to be a true sequel really disappointed them and soured them on the movie. It's kind of rare that kids get killed in movies at ALL, I think. Heh, I love that particular death.

Last edited by Luna; 07-13-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:33 AM   #22
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

According to this German site -OFDb- that UK SE DVD is cut, missing over 40 seconds.
There's a uncut German DVD from Marketing though, with the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio & 16:9 enhanced.
No audio commentary though ...
Old 07-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #23
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I'm starting to think ordering this may have been a bad idea!
I was just looking at some other discs on Blackstar, and Halloween 2 has a comm. track from the same authors that 3 does. Might have to check that one out too.
I think I'll wait for 3 and see if the autors are at least interesting to listen too before I spend/waste more $.
I'll post a small review in the review section when I get the 3 disc, unless someone who has it beats me to it.

My Fucking DVDS
Old 07-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #24
dwatts
HackMaster

Well, I think the term "underrated" is way over used. Seems like I come across this term quite often, and let's face it, H3 has hardly been ignored. Horror films are always somewhat of a niche product, they rarely hit mainstream tastes and get worldwide praise. Within the horror comunity, it gets praise enough, imho.

Anyway, H3 is a reasonable idea packaged in the wrong box - with just about the stupidist ending they could possibly have come up with. Carpenter had an idea to release a Halloween film every year - and he should have done that. But he should not have messed with Myers. Frankly, I think he'd have preferred Myers to go away at this point and to not have had endless sequels. Maybe this was his way of trying to end it. Of course, that did not work.

H3 a classic? Not in my books. It's an okay film that personally I'm not too fond of. I bought the Goodtimes disc recently because it was cheap, and it's all the disc I need.

Last edited by dwatts; 07-13-2003 at 01:08 PM.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #25
onebyone

I LOVE Halloween 3, always have. I never have been able to understand the hate directed its way.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #26
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

the hate directed towards it because of the Myers-less story. i've asked people all the time why they hated it, and the absence of myers is always brought up. personally, i think H3 is great and is the best Halloween sequel to date. it gets more replay value in my house than any other halloween film (including the original).
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:35 PM   #27
ScarredGod

i think its fair to say Halloween 3 was "underrated". it was pretty quickly dismissed upon release, evidenced by the number of people in this thread alone who have said its better than the crap they originally thought it was. it is still routinely dissed among the younger horror/halloween fans, hang out for an hour at the AOL horror chat (if you can stomach that), who dont even give it a chance because it instantly sucks because theres no Michael Myers. i think underrated applies here albeit moreso in the past, alot of people have come around to like it, and also in the younger generation, who just may come around later too when they tire of the horror franchise.

personally i prefer Halloween 3 to any of the Michael sequels.

albeit moreso, my favorite actor.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:48 PM   #28
dwatts
HackMaster

-- i think H3 is great and is the best Halloween sequel to date--

That is the root of the problem. "Halloween" in horror genre terms are the Mike Myers movies. To call this one a "sequel" is stretching the definition of the word beyond its limits. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "Halloween". Therefore, it is, in the very least, a very strange "sequel".

Regardless, it's just not that good, imho. Half of it has possiblities ina Twilight Zone kind of way, but the latter moments in the film are lame.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:08 PM   #29
patmcgahern

Excellent film I love it so. Ending used to depress me as a kid. By the way that R2 dvd, THERES NOTHING SPECIAL. The commentary is by two cocky scumbags who never even met anyone remotely connected to this film. Most of the commentary is them talking to each other about unrelated crap, mocking the film and making comments about the horror genre in general. The little bit of information they do give though is practically useless. Bad way to go if you ask me.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:22 PM   #30
patmcgahern

Cool Halloween

3 D
I read in an old mag (Cinefantastique or fango or somethin, They did a feature on F13th 3-d) when 3d was in the 80's that Moustapph Akkad planned to do a sequel to Halloween, in the third dimension. As he thought fans would be pissed with the idea of having their favorite character having his image tarnished by such a fad (ooh hello Jason didnt see you come in there) he commisioned a brand new script with drill bits, bugs and brains hurtled at the camera. Unfortunately the idea never got off the ground, probably because they were beaten to the punch by a shark and a retard in a broken hockey mask.