Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-13-2003, 11:50 PM   #31
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Quote:
Originally posted by dwatts
-- i think H3 is great and is the best Halloween sequel to date--

That is the root of the problem. "Halloween" in horror genre terms are the Mike Myers movies. To call this one a "sequel" is stretching the definition of the word beyond its limits. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "Halloween". Therefore, it is, in the very least, a very strange "sequel".

it may be a "very strange" sequel, but at least it's not the same old slasher formula being put to use. it has more to do with the holiday of halloween, than the other films (and i would have loved to see more films relating to the holiday, than a masked man only killing on that day; but i seem to be in the minority).
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:01 AM   #32
dwatts
HackMaster

All of that is true - but "Halloween" is, I think we can all agree, a series about Myers, not a series about the holiday. I would say the first film took the holiday and played with it pretty well, but after that, the holiday has little to do with the films. All of Myers murders don't take place on Halloween, even in the first film.

I think it is clear that you are not in the minority on this one. H3 seems to have grown in stature and most people (here at least) love the film. It seems like few of us continue to dislike it

I'm not a slasher fan really (way too formula), but I love Myers. Don't really care for Friday the 13th... but Michael is just creepier.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:22 AM   #33
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Quote:
Originally posted by dwatts
All of that is true - but "Halloween" is, I think we can all agree, a series about Myers, not a series about the holiday.
i agree its about myers, but wished it wasn't. only if H3 would have done well during it's theatrical run.....
Old 07-14-2003, 03:45 AM   #34
RyanPC

I don't know, I still like Halloween 3.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:50 AM   #35
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Hell man, if subsequent sequels followed in the footsteps of Part III this series wouldn't have become the shit-pile it has. H3 is brilliant! They should never have gone back to the Myers storyline.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:41 AM   #36
Nemesis

havent read the whole thread.. but..

halloween 1,2 + 3 are available here in R4... i already have a good version of Halloween from R1..

Do you guys reckon there will be a boxset of these? i dunno if i wanna start buying the individual titles if a bigger boxset is just gonna come out eventually anyway... im doing the same thing with friday the 13th.. i have the 1st of them and thats all..

ps: H3 was the best of the series.. really fun flick.. havent seen it in a while tho
Old 07-14-2003, 04:55 AM   #37
dwatts
HackMaster

Box set is out in the UK (missing 6 tho).

If H3 is the "best in the series" then you're not a fan of the series. Nothing wrong with that - but since it has nothing to do with the series other than name, thinking it is the best is really saying you don't like the series to me.

H3 ain't brilliant - and Myers rocks
Old 07-14-2003, 06:01 AM   #38
Nemesis

yeah agreed, halloween 3 is nothing like the others.. im not a *huge* fan of the series for the simple fact that... like freddy... mike gets killed at the end of each movie then comes back to life for the next movie.. something that i dont think was the intention of the 1st one.. (which is my favourite of the "real" halloween movies)..

the difference is that i watched freddy as a kid so i have some nostalgic feelings for them.. thanks for the tip on the UK box set, will go have a look.. hopefully it doesnt cost the earth (like most uk discs seem to)
Old 07-14-2003, 07:17 AM   #39
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Quote:
If H3 is the "best in the series" then you're not a fan of the series.
IT SHOULDN'T BE A SERIES!!! H3 was a breath of fresh air.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 07:36 AM   #40
Nemesis

<nods to McChrist>

you know.. this reminds me of conan. When the first Conan was released they had originally intended to put out a new conan movie every year.. sort of like a chronicles of conan.. but changed their mind..

sounds sorta like what they coulda done with halloween
Old 07-14-2003, 08:13 AM   #41
JW77
Support Halliburton

I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Michael Myers" in space movie.

We all know it's coming.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -- Harry J. Anslinger, first commissioner of the United States Bureau of Narcotics
JW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #42
RyanPC

Quote:
Originally posted by JW77
I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Michael Myers" in space movie.

We all know it's coming.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:58 AM   #43
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

if it was up to John Carpenter, we'd already had one (i think this was his idea for either 5 or 6).
Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 AM   #44
rhett

HALLOWEEN III is a great movie. It definitely has flaws, but it is a B-movie through and through, so the over-the-top acting and cheesy love story fit just fine. Atkins and O'Herlihy are solid camp actors, and I agree with everything you said about them Justin.

The ending of this film is what always makes it for me though, it is so gutsy and mean spirited. Definitely not your typical Hollywood fare! Although the concept of a man controlling the world through masks is kind of "out there", I do think it is a nice commentary on our product driven society. I mean, Halloween was originally a very series and spiritual night, and now it is turned into a commercial enterprise. Hell, even the movie cashes in on the holiday that it critiques in the film.

I really hope Universal gets around to releasing this film on DVD! All I want is an animorphic transfer, but seeing as Tommy Wallace has been very willing to record commentaries on all his films, Universal should definitely seek him out.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #45
dwatts
HackMaster

It ain't the masks - it's the Stonehenge angle that boggles the mind....