Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
thing
Maniac

Killer Joe (2011)

Killer Joe
(2011, William Friedkin)
(Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch, Gina Gershon, Juno Temple, Thomas Haden Church)

8/10

William Friedkin (The Exorcist, Sorcerer) re-teams with writer Tracy Letts (Bug) who once again adapts one of his own plays into a screenplay for Friedkin to bring to life. This film is about a young man (Emile Hirsch) who's life is in danger because of a debt he cannot pay. He turns to putting a hit out on his absent mother through a man named Joe (Matthew McConaughey) in order to collect the insurance and chaos ensues.

The film is a wonderfully trashy, sweaty, dark swirling tale that is put together and performed wonderfully like a feverish dream. Much like Bug it mostly takes place in one location with charged up characters almost bouncing off the walls. The story is filled with moral and sexual depravity mixed with violence, some of which could be interpreted as misogynistic by those who only look surface deep.

In the end we are treated to a story with compelling characters who are difficult to root for but never boring to watch. This atmospheric tale may not be for everyone but you will certainly see things in certain scenes that you may never see again and are unlikely to forget. For my money this is the best Friedkin film since his remake of Wages of Fear (Sorcerer).

As far as the blu ray goes, it looks absolutely stunning and the audio has a lot of punch. I would heartily recommend getting the U.S directors cut blu ray. The directors cut is the same cut we got internationally in the cinema and for home release but the American release has much better special features with a directors commentary, making of featurette and convention panels as opposed to the foreign release just getting 5 individual interviews. A warning though, the American release is region A locked and if you are outside America and do not have a region free player like myself you will have to make do with your local edition which still looks and sounds fabulous.

Last edited by thing; 07-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Previous Thread
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
thing
Maniac

Oh, I only searched in reader reviews, wasn't expecting a full note review anywhere else, my bad
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Ptflea2
Maniac

I liked it much, much better than Bug.
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post
I liked it much, much better than Bug.
I actually liked Bug quite a bit, I know it wasn't for everyone though. However I found Killer Joe far superior.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Mikey Horror
Maniac

McConaughey and Gershon were great in this. I still have such a huge crush on that chick and for the rest of my life I'll never be able to eat fried chicken without thinking about her.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
McConaughey and Gershon were great in this. I still have such a huge crush on that chick and for the rest of my life I'll never be able to eat fried chicken without thinking about her.
Yup, she is the bomb, she is aging well too. She wore a merkin in this film, which is a shame.