Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 05-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #1
thing
HackMaster

Maggie (2015)

Maggie (2015, Henry Hobson)
Schwarzenegger stars in this small indie drama about a teenage girl (Abigail Breslin) in the Midwest who becomes infected by an outbreak of a disease that slowly turns the infected into cannibalistic zombies. During her transformation, her loving father (Arnold) stays by her side going through all the emotions of slowly losing a child. Schwarzenegger is incredible here and turns in the best performance of his career in this slow-burning film that you would not imagine him taking. The film itself is well made and visually quite stunning at times with a good subtle score. However it probably burns a little too slow at times and its relentlessly bleak tone will not be for everyone.
7/10
Old 05-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
russweiss
HackMaster

The trailer looked alright. This only received a limited release in my area so I don't think I'll see it theatrically.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
othervoice1
HackMaster

Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes running at about 50% - so split down the middle. Ill probably give this one a rent - in fact I think you can rent it on Vudu already
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #4
thing
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes running at about 50% - so split down the middle. Ill probably give this one a rent - in fact I think you can rent it on Vudu already
Yeah was 54% when I last checked but the one factor that seems consistent on most all reviews is that Arnie is pretty great here.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
sinister
Stalker

Watched this last night.

It would make a good short film of 30-40 mins, or part of a horror anthology maybe, but there just wasn't enough going on story or dialogue wise in the first hour to hold my interest.

The last half hour was good, but it's one of those movies where you know from the first few minutes that the whole thing is being setup for what happens in the last 5-10 minutes and for me, although the acting, photography etc. were good, they really could have tried harder with the plot during the first hour or so.

Overall 6/10.
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister View Post
Watched this last night.

It would make a good short film of 30-40 mins, or part of a horror anthology maybe, but there just wasn't enough going on story or dialogue wise in the first hour to hold my interest.

The last half hour was good, but it's one of those movies where you know from the first few minutes that the whole thing is being setup for what happens in the last 5-10 minutes and for me, although the acting, photography etc. were good, they really could have tried harder with the plot during the first hour or so.

Overall 6/10.
I agree with this although I didn't mind that about it. I found Maggie to be a very clinical take on the whole zombie thing. I found that aspect fascinating. It was also surprisingly emotionally impactful. Good on Arnie and the young girl who played his daughter. That being said, I don't think I'd ever revisit it, but I'm glad I watched it once.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote