Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 01-08-2003, 06:09 AM   #1
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

All found on Ebay......

JAWS:Signature Collection-finally picked this one up after bidding on numerous copies of it over the past few months. At one point, I was bidding up to $45 (which would have been $57 after the S&H) on one unopened set, but that didn't end up meeting the seller's reserve. I picked this one up near-mint (with the novel, soundtrack cd, and the FULL documentary) for $28 shipped......and I'm anxious to see how the picture and sound are on this edition!

PUMPKINHEAD- Full-Frame, first edition release....which, from what I understand, is actually on par with the dvd release....$5.50 shipped...

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON- remastered widescreen edition from Live.......didn't really care for the extras when I previewed the SE dvd...and the picture and sound on this edition are pretty nice....not a bad pick-up at $6.00 shipped....BTW.....the anal side of me must complain...I have NO problem with sellers shipping laserdiscs in huge bubble-wrapped-lined envelopes IF they put the laserdisc between two sheets of sturdy cardboard. This laserdisc was just shipped in an envelope with no other protection and ended up getting the jacket dog-eared on one of the corners.

THE KILLER (Criterion Collection), HARD-BOILED (Criterion Collection), HARD-BOILED (Japanese laser) - I have NEVER gone wrong with a Criterion release! I picked all three of these up in a bundle from one seller for $11.50 shipped......SWEET!

Last edited by Agent Z; 01-08-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
jscott
Guided By Voices

Re: My Latest Laserdisc Buys ......

Quote:
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ
JAWS:Signature Collection-......and I'm anxious to see how the picture and sound are on this edition!
The picture looks great (gotta love the CAV format), but the Pro Logic track leaves a bit to be desired (I could just be spoiled from watching the DTS DVD).
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
Paff

Wow. The Killer and Hard Boiled Criterions go that cheap?? I'm definitely grabbing a couple if that's the usual price.

I have the Jaws Signature Edition, but it's the CLV version without the book and soundtrack. It's a nice disc, but I've never compared it to the DVD, so I don't know which one is better. You do get the full documentary on the Laserdisc, which makes it worth it for that alone.

And that AWIL isn't bad, but I thought the sound was REAL harsh on the LD

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
MISFITZ

I have JAWS on DVD now, and I'll also agree i found the sound to be more 'crisp' in the DVD. Water splashing sounded good and gave the 'experience' a good sensation.

However, I did not have JAWS on LD as the signature edition. When i did own it on LD, my copy was great, but not signature though, which may just mean i didn't have some of the extras mentioned above.

However, I do know the JAWS LD had better trailers than the DVD. One of my ALL TIME favorite trailers is on the JAWS LD. And when i replaced my LD with the DVD version I was suprised to see that the specific trailer i was looking for was not there.

That trailer never showed that "JAWS" was a shark and they refer to it as a 'devil' under the water. The end of the trailer shows that chcik swimming and her being pulled under by 'something'. Then the movie info comes up on screen on a black background and you can still hear that chick yelling... "IT HURTS! OH GAWD!!!"

Total wicked trailer! I've been wanting to get the JAWS LD back just for that trailer alone.

Good pick ups! THose are some great prices for those disc. Makes me sorta wanna own the SIG version of JAWS now. ahahah!
Old 01-09-2003, 06:09 AM   #5
Zodiac-Mindwarp

Congratulations on the great laser disc score!

Makes me think that I should hit Ebay and do some shopping
Old 01-09-2003, 06:59 AM   #6
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Quote:
Wow. The Killer and Hard Boiled Criterions go that cheap?? I'm definitely grabbing a couple if that's the usual price.
I don't think that's the norm. I got REAL LUCKY picking these up for that price. If you do a check of the OOP Criterion dvds of HARD-BOILED and THE KILLER on ebay....they have bids on them going up to $50 and higher for each title.....and I rarely ever see the Criterion laserdisc versions up for bid on ebay.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Quote:
That trailer never showed that "JAWS" was a shark and they refer to it as a 'devil' under the water. The end of the trailer shows that chcik swimming and her being pulled under by 'something'. Then the movie info comes up on screen on a black background and you can still hear that chick yelling... "IT HURTS! OH GAWD!!!"
(Ominous Narrator)...."It's as if God created the Devil and gave him...JAWS!"

Love those old trailers! Finally viewed the boxset the other night and found it to be what I expected. The audio, while nowhere near the dvd, was respectable (and closer to what I heard when I first saw this as a kid during its re-release at a drive-in!). The FULL documentary was so much better! I still don't understand why this couldn't have been included in its entirety with the Anniversary dvd.....would it have cost that much more to just include a second disc? C'mon!
Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #8
MISFITZ

As for recent LD's buys,

I think I snagged Paff in an auction. (sorry my friend, when i saw the price, i had to snag it)

Picked up PLAGUE of the ZOMBIEs from Elite on LD.

Was about to bid on THE CREEPING FLESH but it went up to $31!!!! And i thought i was paying too much at $14!!! I know it's not on DVD, but it's not like this LD is exactly a great copy of the film. I'd even go as far as saying i'd wait for the DVD or buy a VHS copy. $31 was too much.

And i missed the auction for the LD of CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS. Check it out, this dude picked it up as a good price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18850

I just forgot to bid on it! Would have paid $12 for it, so i'm not so sure i would've won. I'll never know.

Plus, i don't think i'm gonna go for this, but has anyone heard about this LD or it's cousin disc? Are they of good quality? I contacted the seller and he said all those films are fitting on only 6 LDs!!! I dunno. Sounded fishy to me, but the titles are cool. That's a sweet set....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18850
Old 02-04-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
MISFITZ

Quote:
(Ominous Narrator)...."It's as if God created the Devil and gave him...JAWS!"

ahahahahahah!!! It's chessy reading that line, but when i saw the trailer, i was all into it. And i starting thinking about how it musta felt seeing that trailer in the theaters. Before a 'jaws' film even came out. ahahahahah!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 06:46 PM   #10
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Quote:
Plus, i don't think i'm gonna go for this, but has anyone heard about this LD or it's cousin disc? Are they of good quality? I contacted the seller and he said all those films are fitting on only 6 LDs!!! I dunno. Sounded fishy to me, but the titles are cool. That's a sweet set....
From the imdb comes this info on the Val Lewton Collection:

Disc Title: Lewton, Val Collection, The
Image Entertainment ID 2815 TU

Black and White

Released in 19 July 1995
Available List Price: $179.99

Video Information Disc Details
1.37 : 1
Academy Ratio
NTSC Closed Captioning: none
Master format: Film
Sides: 12 (CLV)
Language: English

Sound Encoding Digital Track Analog Track

MONO

Notes: This is a collection of the nine Val Lewton horror B-movies Cat People (1942), I Walked with a Zombie (1943), Leopard Man, The (1943), Seventh Victim, The (1943), Ghost Ship, The (1943), Curse of the Cat People (1944), Isle of the Dead (1945), Bedlam (1946), and Body Snatcher, The (1945).

The transfer of most movies is very good. Occasionally there are some distortions in the soundtrack. The transfer of I Walked with a Zombie (1943) is not as good as the old Image Entertainment laserdisc. _Body Snatcher, The (1945)_ also includes an audio commentary by Wise, Robert.

http://us.imdb.com/Laserdisc?0037549
Old 02-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #11
MISFITZ

Hmmmmmm.... damn! Thanks MISSIONCODEZ. To be honest, i didn't know IMDB had info like that. Interesting. Granted it's one person's opinion on what 'he' thinks is a good transfer, but i'm quite interested in the films. Quality would be great, but i'd love to own these films, esp on a format that won't damage as easily as VHS.

I may watch this auction a bit. I'd love to own it like i said, but at this time i can't really go all out on my cash for it. Saving up for other things.

Still, like Bob Barker said... "If the price is right" Thanks again for that tad of info. I wonder how good CAT PEOPLE looks on these.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #12
Paff

Quote:
Originally posted by MISFITZ
As for recent LD's buys,

I think I snagged Paff in an auction. (sorry my friend, when i saw the price, i had to snag it)

Picked up PLAGUE of the ZOMBIEs from Elite on LD.

THAT WAS YOU?!?!?

[cartman]SonofaBITCH[/cartman]

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #13
MISFITZ

LOL!!

I saw the name and was pretty sure it was you. I mean how many people have "PAFF" in their name. And i kept saying, if it goes up in price, then i won't mess with the LD. But when i checked on it before the auction ended and saw it still below $5, i had to throw my bid in. Sorry again! But...
Old 02-04-2003, 07:32 PM   #14
Paff

Well, I did think about going a little higher, but I was also bidding to win that guy's copy of Dracula, Prince of Darkness (which I also lost).
BUT, I'm glad the disc is going to someone here, to someone who will appreciate it.

Have you seen Plague of the Zombies, 'fitz?? It's a bad-ass movie. I own the DVD, and I was only bidding to add to my Elite LD collection. That's one reason I abandoned the auction once I was outbid. So it's cool if it goes to someone who's never seen the movie before.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 02-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #15
MISFITZ

I've seen it, but not in its best format. So i'm anxious to get a hold of a good copy.

Does anyone have a complete list of which ELITE LD's of HAMMER are out? I'll see some titles on the ROAN label, and have been pleased with them. I've been trying to build my HAMMER collection and wanted a check list.

The DVDs are priced too high now. I mean, the ROAN and ELITE Hammer titles i've picked up have been outstanding to say the least. JUST OUTSTANDING! I don't know why i'd want to pay double (and sometimes TRIPLE) the price just so i can have it on DVD. Maybe to avoid a disc flip, but i'm not that damn stuck up i can't have my precious horror movie interrupted for 5 seconds.

Anyway, if anyone has a list, or a link on the HAMMER films available through ROAN or ELITE brands, i'd HIGHLY appreciate it.