Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Criswell
HackMaster

Zombies: Running vs Shambling?? Preference?

O.k, I'm a 41 year old Aussie so me first real hard core Zombie experiences were the re-release of Night in the mis 80's and the initial release of Dawn so I grew up with the shambling Zombie including Fulci.

But since 28 Days (I know- not REAL zombies) and the new Dawn with the frenzied Zombies, a line in the sand seems to have been drawn regarding the future of the genre and how they move.

In the case of the Shamblers to me its a lot more apocolyptic and all engulfing. They are stupid yes, but that also makes them always present. They just keep coming closer and closer. Take for instance the classic closing scene of Burial Ground (Nights of Terror) When the zombies come into the crypt/Chapel you know the survivors are screwed.

The Frenzied approached however is much more immediatly dramatic. An amazing example of this comes from the New Dawn and that AWESOME first shot of thousands of Zombies attacking the fortified Mini buses. Romeroes Zombies could not ever achieve such frightening proportions.

So if you can, give me your age and lets compare views.

P.S As the only one in my family who loves these films. this forum is a freakin godsend!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Silent Noize
Maniac

I like the slow moving zombies better. Its more realistic. I mean, if a dead thing was re-animated i'm sure it woudnt be doing the 50 mile sprint. It would probally be in alot of pain.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
wizzer
get outta here ewe

i was just doing a search because i'm watching 28 days later right now and even though alot of hard core zombiologists hack on it, i really enjoy it. to me the fast zombie is more intense and makes for a little more suspense and action. but when a slow zombie gets ya, those bites are powerful so the slow zombie can hold his own weight i suppose but i prefer the fast frenzied zombie myself. i'm 30.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Welcome to the forum. Age;22. Seen all the movies you mentioned. I prefer running. IMO it is ALOT more threatning and scary than something slowly walking towards you, that you can easily run away from. The remake of NoTLD is a perfect example, as the lead character just strolls around between them, taking them out with her gun.

I dont find that situation frightening at all, even in a huge mob you are way more agile and quick, the only real way you would get caught is confining yourself to a closed in area, or letting yourself be surrounded by them. This is really unlikely if you keep moving. Think about walking in a busy section of down town or a busy mall. Its easy to navagte around people that are walking fast, now imagine all the people shuffling around slowly.
Just not threating imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Noize
It would probally be in alot of pain.
How? they are dead, usually with gunshots or limbs missing

Last edited by aoiookami; 11-02-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
Silent Noize
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami
How? they are dead, usually with gunshots or limbs missing
rigor mortis.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:57 AM   #6
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

I was refering to the pain thing. I doubt a zombie would be in pain from running, if they can be shot 50 times or have their limbs severed and still move around
Old 11-02-2004, 01:03 AM   #7
Silent Noize
Maniac

Well if they have been dead long enough then they woudnt be able to run. But the zombies in Dawn 04 were very fresh. They re-animated only seconds after death. So i can see why they ran.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:18 AM   #8
Deus Ex Machina

although I have a warm spot for the shambler no one but Romero can do them properly....anyone else turns them into pure comedy

fast moving zombies are scarier because they're harder to escape (think Barbara leaving the house in the NotLD remake)..

in the new Dawn though the zombies seemed less like traditional flesh eaters and more like a disease...they didn't eat as much as they bit, spread the virus and moved on

Old 11-02-2004, 01:27 AM   #9
RyanPC

I've never heard of a shambling Zomie.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #10
Damage
Mirror Mirror

I've warmed up to the fast zombies but slow zombies just make more sense. Rigor Mortis would definitely slow things down. However, "fresh" zombies would have the benefit of speed before RM kicks in, so what do I know. There's just something about a mob of slow, shuffling zombies coming your way with a silent, confident swagger. It's like they're thinking, "Go ahead, knock yourself out... run! We're still going to eat you."
"May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous -- in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."
My DVD List and Movie Tracker... Like you care!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 AM   #11
dwatts
HackMaster

I can take both - but by choice, shambling. Running zombies makes no sense - but then zombies make no sense, so wtf?

Stumbling along though... screw MTV dynamics.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:45 AM   #12
John Gargo

Stumbling dammit!

Someone claimed that slow running zombies are often comical? Well when I watched the new DAWN OF THE DEAD with my friend, we both couldn't stop laughing at the zombie running after the main character in her car and KEEPING UP for a few seconds. Beyond ridiculous...

Old 11-02-2004, 03:47 AM   #13
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Fast are scarier, but slow are classic and logical. Who's to say?
They fucking figured out T-Rex was probably an oversize bully-buzzard, so stick with the fond memories and enjoy!
I'd have a blast with some slow motherfuckers and any weapon though!

My Fucking DVDS
Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 AM   #14
Criswell
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus
Stumbling dammit!

Well when I watched the new DAWN OF THE DEAD with my friend, we both couldn't stop laughing at the zombie running after the main character in her car and KEEPING UP for a few seconds. Beyond ridiculous...

Yeah but I bet you pissed yourself laughing when the zombie peelded away and lept on a nearby neighbour instead.

Shit that was funny.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:03 AM   #15
John Gargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criswell
Yeah but I bet you pissed yourself laughing when the zombie peelded away and lept on a nearby neighbour instead.

Shit that was funny.
HahAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I can't stop laughing now... that indeed WAS hilarious.

Closed Thread