Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #196
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
A quick search here shows at least 3 theaters in Montreal will carry it.
I stand corrected:

http://www.cinemamontreal.com/eng

Which is usually my go to site for info was not updated properly and has omitted the listing, at least as I write this.

Thank you Workshed.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #197
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
I stand corrected:

http://www.cinemamontreal.com/eng

Which is usually my go to site for info was not updated properly and has omitted the listing, at least as I write this.

Thank you Workshed.
My pleasure. Strangely, when I checked that same site for theaters in my area, the one theater where I purchased tix was not listed. Had a mild freakout that I'd purchased tix for a different theater! But no, all is well. Guess the internet isn't as 100% correct as we all thought.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #198
buck135
The Duke of New York

Wow, I guess I'm the first to see the remake on here. The word I would use to describe the film is relentless. The acting was decent as was the pacing up until the end in my opinion. Three things distracted me throughout the film. First off, if you're an animal lover as I am, you're going to have a difficult time with a few of the scenes. Secondly, there are so many references to the first two films, it seems more like an homage than a reboot. That said, many of the familiar scenes were cleaverly modified to fit the plot of the film. Finally, if you saw the red band trailer, you will notice that one of the more effective scenes has been cut from the film. All in all, it is worth a watch if you love the Evil Dead films. If the blu-ray is uncut then I may bite, but as of now, I think I'll pass.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #199
fallon6190
Victim

Did you stay to see the scene after the credits?
fallon6190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #200
DVDBone
Stalker

I saw it last night an enjoyed it but didn't love it. It's ridiculously gory for a R-rated theatrical film. My biggest issue is the way the "evil" is portrayed. I shouldn't be reminded of The Grudge when watching an Evil Dead movie. Definitely stay through the credits!
DVDBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #201
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Wow, I guess I'm the first to see the remake on here. The word I would use to describe the film is relentless. The acting was decent as was the pacing up until the end in my opinion. Three things distracted me throughout the film. First off, if you're an animal lover as I am, you're going to have a difficult time with a few of the scenes. Secondly, there are so many references to the first two films, it seems more like an homage than a reboot. That said, many of the familiar scenes were cleaverly modified to fit the plot of the film. Finally, if you saw the red band trailer, you will notice that one of the more effective scenes has been cut from the film. All in all, it is worth a watch if you love the Evil Dead films. If the blu-ray is uncut then I may bite, but as of now, I think I'll pass.
which scene was cut from red band trailer???
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #202
thehellyousay
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDBone View Post
I saw it last night an enjoyed it but didn't love it. It's ridiculously gory for a R-rated theatrical film. My biggest issue is the way the "evil" is portrayed. I shouldn't be reminded of The Grudge when watching an Evil Dead movie. Definitely stay through the credits!
That was the very thing that started it on the wrong foot for me.

Spoiler:
Evil is a force, why does it need to be personified beyond the possessions of the people in the cabin. Why would you use a cliched "scary, stringy haired girl" if you were going to personify it?

THE GOOD:
* Cool story to get them out to the cabin
* Well shot (the opening and closing shots were gorgeous, etc.)
* Great music (no metal /rap tie-in)
* Very little cgi
* Great make up/effects
* Some genuinely creepy moments
* True to the spirit of the original
* The pace, once it starts, it's relentless
* I think the director really "went for it" and shows a lot of promise
* Tributes and nod to the orginal trilogy
* Ending showdown
BAD:
* the not necessary prologue that seemed from another movie
* The premise used to get them to the cabin isn't used to its potential
* Paper-thin characters, except for Mia and she's possessed 3/4 of it
Spoiler:
The whole "spirit girl / black tentacle demon"

* No one to root for
* Some really bad dialog
* Some really stiff / bad acting (Due to the dialogue that is delivered or just bad delivery?)
* Cliched foreshadowing

In the end, I was let down, but I'll give it another chance when it comes out on blu.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #203
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

I had a blast. For an R rated film to premiere in the theater with this level of gore is pretty astonishing. Loved the practical effects! Cannot overstate how powerful it is when actors interact with the effects, instead acting against nothing. It drew me in so much more.

Agreed with buck135, in that it did seem like an homage, but there was still a "reboot" element that reminded me a bit of the new Star Trek:

Spoiler:
the idea that these kids were not the first to be possessed by the book.
It was a nice touch, that allows for the earlier films to tie into the storyline if they want. I appreciated that the actors were not recognizable to me, although the actor who portrayed Olivia was so beautiful that it was almost a distraction.

I also appreciated that the filmmakers didn't try to "smarten up" the film--hey, it's about dumb kids doing dumb things in a spooky cabin. Enjoy it for what it is!

Again, I cannot say enough about the effects--just brilliant work. So long as you do not go into it expecting Evil Dead 4 starring Bruce Campbell, I think ED fans will like it--maybe not love it, but it certainly honors the franchise and does right by its fans. I'm going to see it again in the theater to support the franchise and hopefully encourage a direct sequel or a true ED4.

Recommended!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #204
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
which scene was cut from red band trailer???
When Mia is pushing the trap door up with her head and singing while smiling.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #205
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
When Mia is pushing the trap door up with her head and singing while smiling.
what so not any of the we are going to get you song is in the movie??????
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #206
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Sony’s Tristar/FilmDistrict/Ghost House’s Evil Dead took in $1.8M [Thurs night], ”making it among the best late show openings of the year,” execs are gushing. “A great start for the film.” The film is playing on 3,025 screens this weekend and is looking like “a really really good” $11M to $15M today according to rival studios. That means initial low-ball expectations for a $20M-$22M opening weekend are rising quickly to $30M if it keeps on pace. Which it should. That’s amazing for a modest $17M production budget.
via
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #207
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw it this morning, and besides me there were 7 other people in the movie theater. I was the only one to stay for the entire ending credits. Loved it. A few months back, there was a contest for the Ultimate Evil Dead fan, and the winner had a chance to see the premiere of the Red Band trailer with Bruce Campbell. Well, I entered the contest, and I was notified by e-mail, 8 or 9 weeks ago, that even though I didn't win the contest, they wanted to know if I wanted a signed Evil Dead poster, because they loved my submission. I e-mailed IGN Entertainment all my info they needed, which was my mailing address, and my e-mail. Fast forward to yesterday. I received my poster in the mail. I opened up the tube, and inside was a 20 X 40 poster of the Evil Dead remake, signed by none other than Bruce Campbell, and he always adds ASH at the bottom of his signature. I was so excited I was laughing and just couldn't contain my excitement when I saw this. I also have Bruce's signature on a little smaller poster of the Original Evil Dead, that I obtain at Spooky Empire's first May-Hem in 2011.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #208
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadfan123 View Post
I saw it this morning, and besides me there were 7 other people in the movie theater. I was the only one to stay for the entire ending credits. Loved it. A few months back, there was a contest for the Ultimate Evil Dead fan, and the winner had a chance to see the premiere of the Red Band trailer with Bruce Campbell. Well, I entered the contest, and I was notified by e-mail, 8 or 9 weeks ago, that even though I didn't win the contest, they wanted to know if I wanted a signed Evil Dead poster, because they loved my submission. I e-mailed IGN Entertainment all my info they needed, which was my mailing address, and my e-mail. Fast forward to yesterday. I received my poster in the mail. I opened up the tube, and inside was a 20 X 40 poster of the Evil Dead remake, signed by none other than Bruce Campbell, and he always adds ASH at the bottom of his signature. I was so excited I was laughing and just couldn't contain my excitement when I saw this. I also have Bruce's signature on a little smaller poster of the Original Evil Dead, that I obtain at Spooky Empire's first May-Hem in 2011.
That's AWESOME! Congratulations. Always great to hear when nice things happen to true fans.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #209
Ash28M
HackMaster

Caught up to this today and I thought it was great. I didn't care too much for the prologue and I'm still not sure about how i feel about the ending but outside of that, I thought it was one of the best of the recent remakes. Great atmosphere and bloody as hell. Pretty much as good as I could have hoped for.
Ash28M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #210
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Saw it tonight... with a packed theater... a damn good time!! Bloody Fun! Why be picky? :P

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote