Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #226
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Bullshit. They're not unimportant to this kind of film. They're unimportant to you. Big difference. I refuse to believe that "this" kind of film shouldn't be treated any differently than "that" kind of film. .
Maybe I should of left out "this type of film" because Django was nominated for an Oscar and it had just as many moments that you could scratch your head at when it came to it's logic. Maybe I should of said your arguments, though maybe true did nothing to diminish my enjoyment. Just because there are moment in the script that you don't agree with doesn't mean as a whole you can't enjoy the film. It sounds like in this case it ruined it for you.

Last edited by Ash28M; 04-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Ash28M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #227
Steel76
Maniac

It´s a movie about people being turned into demons, with gore flying everywhere, expecting and looking for logic in a movie like that is just hilarious
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #228
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Maybe I should of left out "this type of film" because Django was nominated for an Oscar and it had just as many moments that you could scratch your head at when it came to it's logic. Maybe I should of said your arguments, though maybe true did nothing to diminish my enjoyment. Just because there are moment in the script that you don't agree with doesn't mean as a whole you can't enjoy the film. It sounds like in this case it ruined it for you.
You would be wrong. What ruined the movie was that it wasn't even remotely scary, or funny, and therefore boring. The only thing it really had going for it is gore, and I'm well past the age where that by itself excites me. I require more and it didn't deliver. You think that something not making sense is enough to make me not like a movie? My favorite film is Phantasm for Pete's sake! I don't mind it not making sense if it is done in a smart way, but this was just... stupid. The film doesn't even follow it's own rules. "Five souls must be taken for him to rise", right? Well, Mia's soul was returned to her and her brother burned in the fire before possession took hold, thereby saving his soul (fire being one of the three ways to save a soul). So really, no matter how you add it up 5 souls were not taken and yet "He" still rose. I'm fine for lack of apparent logic, but a movie still needs to set rules and follow them otherwise it's just bad scriptwriting.

And as far as Django goes, I haven't seen it yet, but Tarantino is rarely as deadpan serious as Evil Dead tries to be so I can forgive him for not making sense from time to time.

Last edited by maybrick; 04-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #229
King Diamond
Victim

I'm with maybrick on this one. I suppose that the gore was well executed on a technical level, but so what? I didn't find much entertainment value in the gore in and of itself, and it certainly wasn't enough to save the entire rest of the movie that didn't work.
King Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #230
maybrick
HackMaster

Thank you, King. Finally somebody with sense.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #231
maybrick
HackMaster

For what it's worth, I did enjoy what's his face being used as a pincushion for most of the film. That made me laugh in a good way.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #232
rhett

Pretty fun. Wasn't wild about the setup and thought the characters were pretty blaise, but once it started getting into the gory shenanigans it felt like the old days. This movie managed to capture the spirit of the original for the second and third acts while still possessing a style of its own. Literally and figuratively a mess though, with all the plot threads that go nowhere (dog and cats, necklace, well, etc. have no payoff), but the first film was sloppy that way too, so maybe that's the point. See it in a packed house, the audience was eating this up.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #233
maybrick
HackMaster

Not to belabor the point that I didn't care for the film, but a few other things I didn't like were the design of the Necronomicon (looked like Leatherface bound one of my old tenth grade notebooks in human flesh) and how slowly the evil dead took Mia over. What made the original series so effective to me was how fast the transformation was. Drawing it out only made it seem like the stereotypical zombie virus, and the hallucinations of the devil girl in the woods or in the mirror were pretty laughable, and not in a good way.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #234
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I thought it was pretty blah myself, completely devoid of suspense or tension, simply falling into the modern torture trends. It's basically Hostel with ghosts.

In terms of characters, visuals, and tone, it's pretty much the same as most of Sam Raimi's post-2000 Ghost House Pictures fare. So if you enjoyed Boogeyman, The Messengers, The Grudge, etc, you'll probably really enjoy this.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #235
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Figured a little toilet humor would help you cheer up and calm down.
If you like a movie and you read a review that crucifies it, it can be easy to misread it as being overly angry or hostile. Trust me, I wasn't trying to be, and i tried to make my list of all the cons about it as tongue in cheek as i could. Like when I said that I was too old to be impressed by gore I'm likewise too old to truly get bent out of shape over things that I don't like. For instance, I used to be really into music and rant about pop music but ultimately gave up around the time of the Spice Girls. In the end it's just not worth the high blood pressure.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #236
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I thought it was pretty blah myself, completely devoid of suspense or tension, simply falling into the modern torture trends. It's basically Hostel with ghosts.

In terms of characters, visuals, and tone, it's pretty much the same as most of Sam Raimi's post-2000 Ghost House Pictures fare. So if you enjoyed Boogeyman, The Messengers, The Grudge, etc, you'll probably really enjoy this.
I can't agree with this. The movies that you mentioned were terrible, IMO, but I really enjoyed Evil Dead.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #237
Demoni
HackMaster

Well, we had Mok with the "Prometheus" LOVE, and now maybrick with the "Evil Dead" remake HATE.

A movie should be hated by someone who doesn´t find any enjoyment in it, and loved by someone who does find it... pure and simple!

I love many trash movie and many classic ones but in the end... I just love what I enjoy!

Last edited by Demoni; 04-08-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #238
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Well, we had Mok with the "Prometheus" LOVE, and now maybrick with the "Evil Dead" remake HATE.
Again, you guys are taking way too much offense to my lone criticism. So I didn't like it. Big deal. The only reason you're focusing so much on my opinion is because I'm basically the only one that has been vocal in my dissent. But don't equate my opinion with "hate". It was too stupid of a film to actively despise to the depths that you so obviously believe that I do. As I said, if you sincerely enjoy the film then more power to you. I don't get the love, but whatever. This remake was made for you in mind, not me.

Last edited by maybrick; 04-08-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #239
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Again, you guys are taking way too much offense to my lone criticism. So I didn't like it. Big deal. The only reason you're focusing so much on my opinion is because I'm basically the only one that has been vocal in my dissent. But don't equate my opinion with "hate". It was too stupid of a film to actively despise to the depths that you so obviously believe that I do. As I said, if you sincerely enjoy the film then more power to you. I don't get the love, but whatever. This remake was made for you in mind, not me.
By calling it a "too stupid of a film" made for us in mind, you are clearly calling "us" a stupid crowd... grow up and stop offending people.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #240
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Just came back from this and I gotta say I was rolling my eyes and yawning throughout the film. First, I'd forgotten it was releasing on Friday (first bad sign). So I go with so-so expectations (I gave in to the hype - I'll never learn) and end up thinking "this is it??". NOTHING separates this film from any of the myriad of cookie-cutter post-modern films of the last 10 years. At least I can live with the knowledge that I only spent $14 to see it theatrically so now I won't have to spend $25 for a Blu-ray in, what, 2 months?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote