Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #271
deepred
Maniac

I didn't like it. It wasn't fun or suspenseful.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #272
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
MorallySound, I am 1000% with you. That post credit sequence was a joke. It could have been filmed in the toilet at comic con. It was lazy, uninspired and stupid even by horror nerd standards, and the fact that people have tried to sell me the movie based on that sequence alone is pathetic.

I can't believe that 5 seconds can be such a disgrace.
I hate to belabour a point, but i just don't understand why one word in one 5 second scene has people so upset? I honestly don't understand the significance that is being placed on that scene. Especially if you actually liked the movie! Are you reading something into it that I'm not seeing? Does it have some particular significance that escapes me? I was waiting to see what horrendous gore shot or twist or reveal was going to occur after the credits. When I saw what it actually was, how completely disposable and utterly silly it was, I couldn't help but chuckle. It's a joke, people! It's like Ferris coming out of the shower and telling the audience to "go home. It's over. Go!" Please, somebody explain this shit to me!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #273
Steel76
Maniac

I think people are just taking this WAY to seriously. Itīs an inside joke for the fans of the original, and itīs placed AFTER the credits. How can that bring the entire movie down?

Feels a bit like extreme nitpicking.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #274
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I hate to belabour a point, but i just don't understand why one word in one 5 second scene has people so upset? I honestly don't understand the significance that is being placed on that scene. Especially if you actually liked the movie! Are you reading something into it that I'm not seeing? Does it have some particular significance that escapes me? I was waiting to see what horrendous gore shot or twist or reveal was going to occur after the credits. When I saw what it actually was, how completely disposable and utterly silly it was, I couldn't help but chuckle. It's a joke, people! It's like Ferris coming out of the shower and telling the audience to "go home. It's over. Go!" Please, somebody explain this shit to me!
Yeah I don't get it either. It was pointless, but I don't get why people are upset about it. As far as I'm concerned it was just a fun throwaway for fans of the original. Most probably didn't even stay around to see it, so just pretend it wasn't there and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
I think people are just taking this WAY to seriously. Itīs an inside joke for the fans of the original, and itīs placed AFTER the credits. How can that bring the entire movie down?

Agree.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #275
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

When you have 20 odd people hyping up the end sequence like it was the coolest thing they had ever seen, it builds up a certain expectation. Yeah, five seconds is a major shit.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #276
Steel76
Maniac

Well, thatīs not the movies fault, it those damn people for hyping the sequence
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #277
Workshed
October!

"Five seconds and one word of dialogue in an after-credits sequence almost ruined my night."

Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #278
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I thought the Bruce Campbell cameo was harmless. The movie had much bigger problems.

I think it basically falls into the typical "haunted house" rut that most modern ghost movies fall into. Look at Haunting In Connecticut, Boogeyman, The Messengers, etc. They're just random scares with no cohesion. It's boring. Movies like Paranormal Activity or Insidious worked because they escalate. Same goes for the original Evil Dead.

I'm not going to tell you that the original Evil Dead was grounded in reality, or that the scares entirely make sense. But compared to this remake, I found it extremely grounded. For instance, take the tree-rape. In this film, the girl sees a doppelganger of herself, who pukes up a giant black worm. Completely random, and way too far removed from reality to be even remotely scary.

Even though being raped by a tree is definitely far-fetched, if you were walking alone through the woods at night and there were tree branches stretching across the path in front of you, your mind might toy with the idea that they could reach out like an arm and grab you. In those regards, the scene in the original is grounded. But if you were walking through the woods at night, I doubt anyone is thinking, "gee, I hope a doppelganger doesn't show up and puke a black raping worm at me."

The original Evil Dead also had an advantage where you don't know what the evil is, so you can get away with a little randomness. Here, they come out the gates with somewhat of an explanation. So it doesn't really have an excuse as to why it's all over the place.

I just didn't find it to be any fun, or even remotely scary. Like I mentioned before, it pretty much falls into suit with the rest of Raimi's post-2000 Ghost House fare like Boogeyman, The Grudge, The Messengers, etc. The only difference is that this one has gore.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #279
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I thought the Bruce Campbell cameo was harmless. The movie had much bigger problems.

I think it basically falls into the typical "haunted house" rut that most modern ghost movies fall into. Look at Haunting In Connecticut, Boogeyman, The Messengers, etc. They're just random scares with no cohesion. It's boring. Movies like Paranormal Activity or Insidious worked because they escalate. Same goes for the original Evil Dead.

I'm not going to tell you that the original Evil Dead was grounded in reality, or that the scares entirely make sense. But compared to this remake, I found it extremely grounded. For instance, take the tree-rape. In this film, the girl sees a doppelganger of herself, who pukes up a giant black worm. Completely random, and way too far removed from reality to be even remotely scary.

Even though being raped by a tree is definitely far-fetched, if you were walking alone through the woods at night and there were tree branches stretching across the path in front of you, your mind might toy with the idea that they could reach out like an arm and grab you. In those regards, the scene in the original is grounded. But if you were walking through the woods at night, I doubt anyone is thinking, "gee, I hope a doppelganger doesn't show up and puke a black raping worm at me."

The original Evil Dead also had an advantage where you don't know what the evil is, so you can get away with a little randomness. Here, they come out the gates with somewhat of an explanation. So it doesn't really have an excuse as to why it's all over the place.

I just didn't find it to be any fun, or even remotely scary. Like I mentioned before, it pretty much falls into suit with the rest of Raimi's post-2000 Ghost House fare like Boogeyman, The Grudge, The Messengers, etc. The only difference is that this one has gore.
I agree, I didn't like the dopplegangers/ Grudge looking demons. The demons were very generic looking and I missed their white eyes. That was probably the biggest loss from the original in my opinion. They were more of a homage to every other modern film instead of the Evil Dead films.

As for not being as good as the original, I knew from the beginning it wouldn't, so that didn't bother me too much. As a remake and a modern day horror film, I thought it was one of the better ones and I had a lot of fun.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 04-10-2013 at 07:51 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #280
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 View Post
- The trailer sold me on the film when I heard Mia say "cut it... CUT IT!!!". I HATE that they changed her line in the film to "don't cut it!!!". David's GF was turned into a deadite regardless of her getting rid of her arm, and I'm sure evil-Mia knew this... so why would she panic at her severing her arm? I thought deadites LOVED blood and carnage. CUT IT, dammit!
They edited the line in the trailer, not the film.

Aaaahhh, the powers of editing, what once was, after all, isnīt.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #281
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I agree, I didn't like the dopplegangers/ Grudge looking demons. The demons were very generic looking and I missed their white eyes. That was probably the biggest loss from the original in my opinion. They were more of a homage to every other modern film instead of the Evil Dead films.

As for not being as good as the original, I knew from the beginning it wouldn't, so that didn't bother me too much. As a remake and a modern day horror film, I thought it was one of the better ones and I had a lot of fun.
They obviously don't know how to be creative anymore when it comes to horror movies. There is just no imagination. I can't see something like Evil Dead, Phantasm, Nightmare on Elm Street ever coming out again with how uninspired so many recent horror movies are.

They remake something fun like Elm Street or Evil Dead, and all you get is a reimaging with more blood (and sometimes not even that) and everything else that made the movies special sucked out. Can they not cast just average looking people anymore? There would be a start. And can only horror movies that are gravely serious be scary? Can they not make a dark film where maybe a tongue comes out of the phone to liven it up a bit and keeps you surprised? Or an animated severed finger becomes a fly? Everything is just so dull and predictable anymore and yet it seems most eat it right up. A big part of the appeal of the Evil Dead series is it's looney madcap charm - take that away and it's not very special. I'd rather watch [Rec] again than this anemic Evil Dead - at least that movie had tension and possessed people that creeped me out.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #282
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I was hoping we'd see some really great demon makeup like in the original film but sadly it never got passed the "goth-chick/dude-wearing-designer-Halloween-contact-lenses-from-the-Lenscrafters-at-the-strip-mall" look. And were those real woods surrounding the cabin or was it a soundstage? There was a certain fakeness about that "location" that I couldn't shake. About the only thrill I got from watching this was seeing that Oldsmobile.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #283
TheShape
Victim

Saw it a few days ago. As far as remakes of horror classics go, this one is definitely above average. It is also a good reminder of the superior efficiency of practical effects in horror movies. I guess the remainder of my two-cents analysis can be considered spoilery.

First off, the prologue: I didn't like it at all. It felt unnecessary and belonging to another movie. Especially when there's no real payoff later in the movie.

For me, the original Evil Dead worked on two levels that are kind of diametrically opposed:

1) By not showing too much: the evil force is never shown other than in the form of a deadite of some monster getting out of it. The characters are running and screaming from it. It can make blood drip out of pipes and light bulbs, posess the living, but it is never really seen onscreen.

2) By showing too much in the form of over the top gore.

The remake succeeds with #2 but fails with #1. In the remake, the attempt to pass some vision of a grudge-like "stingy, scary haired girl" as a manifestation of this evil force didn't really worked for me.

Also, I didn't like the way the characters use the book to learn a lot of what is happening or going to happen (tree rape, burns, how to clean souls, etc). The original stayed more cryptic: Ash finds the book, goes through the pages and that's it until close to the end. He doesn't really refer to it to try to make sense of what's going on.

Having just watched the original the day before, I noticed how they kept pretty much the same story beats and characters up to the last act. Each character in the remake has an equivalent in the original. One of the girl is the girlfriend and the other's the sister. The guy with glasses plays the Scott role: he's the one who kills the first deadite while the other (the Ash equivalent at this point of the story) is more dumbfounded by what's happening.

As for this being a scary intense experience, I'm not convinced. I was surprised by how much the original holds up in terms of atmosphere and relentlessnes. The remake tries hard but fails to capture the feel of the original in that aspect. While the decision of making Mia assuming Ash's role towards the end is an interesting one, it prevents the kind of buildup we had in the original with a single character left alone in panic to deal with the evil dead.

In conclusion, a valid effort, but ultimately lacking some of the original qualities.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #284
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post

A film is a whole, and that whole includes the end credits regardless if there is a post-credit sequence or not. And so tacking on something that HAS NOTHING to do with what pre-ceeded is like a five course meal where the dessert is a flaming dog turd.

But in this particular case, in my opinion, the five courses before the turd were also of poor taste.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #285
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
They edited the line in the trailer, not the film.

Aaaahhh, the powers of editing, what once was, after all, isnīt.
Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PctknG_lOLQ

Around the 1:25 mark.

They filmed it both ways and, naturally, made the wrong decision.

Last edited by Shlockjock81; 04-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote