Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #286
mclay18
Maniac

I didn't think it was that scary. Fede Alvarez does manage some creepy atmosphere in the first part, but I thought the movie was more obsessed with the gory dispatches (especially that nail gun scene!) than scaring people. I did love the last 15-20 minutes, where it finally becomes a legit Evil Dead film.

And major props to Roque Banos' score. Amazing work.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #287
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Well news is this is only getting a limited release here in Aus. Some petitions have gone up to get it wide so maybe that might change. I should be able to get to the cinema here in Melbourne to see it anyway when it comes out on May 9. Still this news is disappointing.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #288
othervoice1
HackMaster

I saw this today and really enjoyed it - I liked the score that was used as well and I thought the gore was well done. As far as remakes go I thought this was pretty top notch overall. I am interested to see when the blu comes out what all they had to cut out to avoid the NC-17 rating. I'm glad I got a chance to catch it at the theatre
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #289
Steel76
Maniac

From what I heard, they digitally darkened the blood in some scenes, made a few close up gore gags a bit out of focus (like the tongue split, that stays sharp in the Red Band trailer), they also covered up a few things with CGI (some nudity on a demon, etc.) to not get an NC-17. Haven´t heard anything about what had to be cut out though.

The uncut Blu-Ray will probably be insane
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #290
allmessedup
It's beer time.

I more or less liked it....not amazing or anything, but I put it in the plus column for remakes.
Glad there was no humor, or at least intentional humor.

Of course, I've never been a huge fan of this series.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #291
Mok
Helena Harper

There was a disingenuous vibe going on that I can't fully put my finger on as to why. I thought the plot was maybe unnecessarily convoluted but overall it was good enough that I want to give it another chance.

I hope it does good. It's pointed in the right direction for sure. We need more horror that isn't afraid to be rated R.

Last edited by Mok; 04-15-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #292
fceurich39
HackMaster

deleted scene with ASH driving a S-mart truck http://www.best-horror-movies.com/ne...-ash-was-in-it
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #293
Mok
Helena Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
deleted scene with ASH driving a S-mart truck http://www.best-horror-movies.com/ne...-ash-was-in-it
So it wasn't Bruce Campbell, just a rumor, although there was a scene with a truck.

Quote:
It seems that there was indeed a post-credit sequence shot, although it’s not quite a carbon copy of the above description. It is however pretty close. One major difference that should be noted, is the fact that it was never Bruce Campbell in the scene. He doesn’t pick up our survivor, he isn’t spotted at all, in fact.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #294
Cannibal Chris
Victim

I've also heard there's one where she's walking down the street, a portal opens, there's a thud, and the next scene is Ash getting up off the ground.

The only one I'm positive was shot is the one with her walking, getting picked up, and still being a deadite.

Any other incarnation of it I'm not going to believe until I see it with my own eyes, especially the one about the S-Mart truck, that seems way to quirky and odd to fit in with the film.

www.cannibalreviews.com
Cannibal Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #295
ReelFear
Maniac

A worthy effort, but of course isn't better than the original classic. Some great gore, but the movie was overblown, and downright stupid at times. I liked it ok I guess. I would watch for a second time if an unrated cut comes out.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #296
fceurich39
HackMaster

from this interview it doesn't sound like a unrated version is coming out when the Blu-ray first hits this summer http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=77809
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #297
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
from this interview it doesn't sound like a unrated version is coming out when the Blu-ray first hits this summer http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=77809
To me it sounds like there will be, unless he is talking about a re-release already.

"I think that's why we removed some scenes that we felt were just going slower and losing speed. It feels like I'm commenting on the deleted scenes, but there's definitely going to be an extended version at some point. We'll cut that and there'll be an extended version that comes out at some point."

He also does confirm that's a sequel and not a remake.

"I guess what we're saying is that of course that this movie lives in the same mythology as the original films. It's almost the same timeline. It maybe happens 30 years after the originals. I think that scene at the end is telling you that Ash exists in this universe and that he's not a character who doesn't exist in this mythology. Hopefully we will see him in future Evil Dead movies."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #298
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I really wanted to like this, but hated it.
*Maybe considered spoilers to some*
Not scary and no atmosphere at all, just sledgehammer to the head, over the top gore.
I found the acting and dialogue horrible, and the characters not compelling in the least.
I was annoyed by the Mia character from the onset. Also, the banality of evil goes a long way in films like The Exorcist, Halloween and the original Evil Dead, here the character's substance abuse made her more susceptible to attack. I found this story arc unnecessary and convoluted. Almost all the key scenes were better executed in the original IMO.
Also, if you're used to ultra gory films I don't think this is going to turn your stomach. The original may have been the 'The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror', this was 'The Ultimate Experience in Boredom'.
I was entertained more by 'The Conjuring' trailer, can't wait for that one!!
I just thought this was pointless and one of the worst remakes yet.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #299
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I thought the Bruce Campbell cameo was harmless. The movie had much bigger problems.

I think it basically falls into the typical "haunted house" rut that most modern ghost movies fall into. Look at Haunting In Connecticut, Boogeyman, The Messengers, etc. They're just random scares with no cohesion. It's boring. Movies like Paranormal Activity or Insidious worked because they escalate. Same goes for the original Evil Dead.

I'm not going to tell you that the original Evil Dead was grounded in reality, or that the scares entirely make sense. But compared to this remake, I found it extremely grounded. For instance, take the tree-rape. In this film, the girl sees a doppelganger of herself, who pukes up a giant black worm. Completely random, and way too far removed from reality to be even remotely scary.

Even though being raped by a tree is definitely far-fetched, if you were walking alone through the woods at night and there were tree branches stretching across the path in front of you, your mind might toy with the idea that they could reach out like an arm and grab you. In those regards, the scene in the original is grounded. But if you were walking through the woods at night, I doubt anyone is thinking, "gee, I hope a doppelganger doesn't show up and puke a black raping worm at me."

The original Evil Dead also had an advantage where you don't know what the evil is, so you can get away with a little randomness. Here, they come out the gates with somewhat of an explanation. So it doesn't really have an excuse as to why it's all over the place.

I just didn't find it to be any fun, or even remotely scary. Like I mentioned before, it pretty much falls into suit with the rest of Raimi's post-2000 Ghost House fare like Boogeyman, The Grudge, The Messengers, etc. The only difference is that this one has gore.
I agree with all of this 100%.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #300
killit
Maniac

let sleeping corpses lie
killit is offline   Reply With Quote