Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #331
hots4
Stalker

My feelings towards director Fede Alvarez have changed somewhat i think he is a bit of a knob to be honest, check out the below from 'movie-censorship.com' he is now stating that the R rated edition is his directors cut, did he forget the things he said before, or has he been made to say this stuff by sony/Raimi, anyway, read below and make your own decisions.

Quote:
We reported several times about the problems Evil Dead faced at the MPAA and the fact remains that some violent scenes omit some frames that were cut for the "R" rating. Director Fede Alvarez confirms that again in a recent interview with Collider dealing with the upcoming home video release of the film which will only contain the "R" version.

Alvarez states that he considers this version his director's cut and adds that Sam Raimi sees it as the ideal version of the remake, as well and that it isn't up to him whether another version would be put out:

Collider: Do you have any intention of ever putting those seconds back on the film and releasing a director’s cut?

ALVAREZ: Eventually if they do that. I don’t know it’s really not up to me. Usually you always see first cut is an extended version, because it’s basically everything you shot, and you have that version and then you start cutting stuff out. Just to pick up the pace or sometimes stuff didn’t work out the way you wanted it to so you cut it out. Definitely my favorite cut is the one that got put out. That’s my favorite version of the film, the one that I put in theaters. That’s my directors cut, there’s no question about it. The producers that could have come in and said, “We’re going to cut this a different way”. That never happened. Sam saw my cut and said “That the version that it’s supposed to be.” The cut I showed him was the cut I put out there. So what everybody saw in the theaters is the director’s cut, and this first DVD is the director’s cut.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #332
Workshed
October!

Why does that him a "knob?" He sounds cool to me--plus, it has Raimi's approval. "Unrated" cuts get far too much love for simply offering something other than what we've already seen. Doesn't make them better.

I liked the theatrical cut a lot. It had plenty of gore and moved along at a well-paced clip.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #333
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Why does that him a "knob?" He sounds cool to me--plus, it has Raimi's approval. "Unrated" cuts get far too much love for simply offering something other than what we've already seen. Doesn't make them better.

I liked the theatrical cut a lot. It had plenty of gore and moved along at a well-paced clip.
I second that notion. I didn't care for the Evil Dead remake at all, but I do miss the days when the term "extended cut" or "director's cut" actually meant something, as opposed to just being a prerequisite for any and every horror film.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #334
hots4
Stalker

he is talking bollocks that's why I think he is a knob, he notes, 'The cut I showed him (Raimi) was the cut I put out there. So what everybody saw in the theaters is the director’s cut, and this first DVD is the director’s cut', no it is not Alvarez showed Raimi a cut before it went to the MPAA as Raimi himself stated in interviews before the film was put to the MPAA that he had seen it, and noted it was extreme and it could be a possible R or N17, so don't try and make out now that the R was the one you showed everyone and that's the one everyone wanted released because it's bollocks, I know they are trying to sell movies, and I'm sure uncut or cut in this case does not make any real difference, but at least be truthful.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #335
Workshed
October!

I say, "To the pit with those bloodthirsty sons of whores!"
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #336
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Since when does Director's Cut mean anything more than, well, the cut that is what the director prefers? He isn't saying that the R rated cut is uncut. It's just his preferred cut...and he's the director. Hence the name.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #337
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I think he's just saying that because there's no uncut version coming. I think a lot of us still want to see the uncut version no matter what the director is saying now.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #338
othervoice1
HackMaster

I just find it weird they didn't release this with both the theatrical and uncut versions - I would think the director would be be excited to get the uncut version out as well- but I did enjoy the theatrical cut so I am not really upset or anything. I just wonder if they are going to pull a Lord of the Rings on us and release an uncut version later (especially since the cut scenes are not even in the special features??)
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #339
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
I just find it weird they didn't release this with both the theatrical and uncut versions - I would think the director would be be excited to get the uncut version out as well- but I did enjoy the theatrical cut so I am not really upset or anything. I just wonder if they are going to pull a Lord of the Rings on us and release an uncut version later (especially since the cut scenes are not even in the special features??)
I still waiting on the same thing to happen for the NOES remake and The Thing.

It's also weird that a film like Curse of Chucky is coming straight to dvd/blu with both an unrated and R cut (why were cuts made if it's not going to theaters?) but the Evil Dead which we were promised we would see uncut on dvd/blu just gets a theatrical print.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #340
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I'd love to see an extended cut of the ANOES remake.

Universal does unrated/rated cuts with a lot of their DTV films. It doesn't make sense to me but oh well.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #341
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post

Universal does unrated/rated cuts with a lot of their DTV films. It doesn't make sense to me but oh well.
Same. That movie had a lot of behind the scenes issues so I've always felt an extended/alternate cut would be a lot better than what got released. A lot of the footage I've seen that didn't make it into the film appeared more suspenseful than the "jump scare" POS I ended up seeing.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #342
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Same. That movie had a lot of behind the scenes issues so I've always felt an extended/alternate cut would be a lot better than what got released. A lot of the footage I've seen that didn't make it into the film appeared more suspenseful than the "jump scare" POS I ended up seeing.
The alternate version of the scene where Freddy scares Kris in the attic looked much scarier.

Also this scene:

Last edited by MisterTwister; 07-18-2013 at 08:39 AM.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #343
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
The alternate version of the scene where Freddy scares Kris in the attic looked much scarier.

Also this scene:

Exactly the scene I was thinking of. That other scene also looked creepy. Another that comes to mind is the Freddy in the church scene.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #344
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:

I really still am surprised the deleted/extended footage never came out or even made its way online ala bootleg or something
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #345
Doombear
Stalker

Ugh. Why do studios entrust a new relatively unknown Director to make sequels/remakes in established horror franchises? Are horror movies the easiest to make? The Evil Dead's Fede Alvarez looks to be a filmmaker from Uruguay who's only done short films before; how'd he land the job in Hollywood for such a significant horror movie?
Doombear is offline   Reply With Quote