Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #16
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

this is great news. those films could do with a rehash they're a bit of a mess 1 and 2 were the best but 3 and 4 suck.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #17
Dave
Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeOfTheDead
I'm really sick of remakes. If I wanted to see the same movies over again, I'd watch the DVD's.

"I will always love the original, but lets face it, it's dated."

Of course its dated, its almost 30 years old. Just because somethings old and dated, doesn't mean it has to be remade.....You know the Exorsist is looking pretty dated....
Nope, it doesn't have to be, but it's going to be, so I'll watch it and see what they can do.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #18
chrishicks
classic is back!!!

Phantasm is my all time favorite movie. I just can't see anyone other than Angus Scrimm as The Tall Man.

if they start moving on these and do them back to back I don't forsee much of a problem with using Scrimm(unless he's in bad health). hell, look at Christopher Lee, he's got a few more yrs. than him and he looks to still be going strong.

so I tell my wife I want to see some hooters, so she grabs the remote and turns on Animal Planet

Wii Friend Code: 1249 6431 9623 9624 / XBL Gamertag: chrishicks / PS3 Gamertag: chrishicks

CAUTION: Objects in padded bras are smaller than they appear
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #19
legz
Victim

I don't mind a remake, but they should at least let Coscarelli conclude the Phantasm series first before doing any remake. I remember when Phantasm first came out in the theatres, at the time I thought it was one of the scariest movies I ever saw at that time.
legz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 PM   #20
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

Maybe it's just me, but I never got the feeling that the Phantasm series was going to end. More to the point: I never got the feeling that the Phantasm series was really progressing anywhere to begin with. Oh, I mean we got snippets here and there about the mythology and the Tall Man's origins, but each film felt pretty much like the rest:

Reggie with/without sidekick on road trip to find Tall Man + some new hot babe ( who may or may not be in cahoots with the Tall Man) for Reggie + cars blowed-up real good like + obligatory final showdown leading to open-ending teaser for sequel = Phantasm sequels

Last edited by Agent Z; 03-11-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #21
IGotsNewShoes

I actually got the feeling from Phantasm: Oblivion that the series HAD ended. It had closure at least in some weird way.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #22
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotsNewShoes
I actually got the feeling from Phantasm: Oblivion that the series HAD ended. It had closure at least in some weird way.
Are you sure you saw it to the end?

That ending left a huge question mark. Mainly:

Spoiler:
What will happen to Reggie? Will he get back to save Mike?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #23
maybrick
HackMaster

The same thing that happens at the end of every Phantasm movie. He dies.

You're forgetting that PHANTASM isn't supposed to have a linear storyline. The chief inspiration of the series is dreaming. Dreams don't end until you wake up, which is pretty much what Coscarelli alludes to at the end of Oblivion.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #24
Demon
Don't Fuck With Dolly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
Phantasm is my all time favorite movie. I just can't see anyone other than Angus Scrimm as The Tall Man.
I agree, no Angus, no remake!

W W W . D E A D P I T . C O M

Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #25
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon
I agree, no Angus, no remake!
same here
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #26
tobaccoman
White, Proud, and Stupid

I would and will love seeing these movies remade as I really do love them, but as stated They are quite dated and have much more potential nowadays than back then. It would be great to see Angus as "The Tall Man" and hopefully it will be as I can't really se anybody else playing the part, but I don't think that him not playing the part will stop me from checking these out. I really like these movies, hopefully Coscarelli can do Phantasm 5 and finish the series before a remake gets underway as I would like to see the rest of his take before I see it start from the beginning. On another note, I haven't seen the 2nd and 3rd Phantasm since I was a little kid and I don't really remember them. I would get the region 2 discs, but I want to sell off my 1st and 4th discs for a complete box set. As said before, where is this fucking set as I will eat it up in a heartbeat (no matter what region)!?!?!
tobaccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #27
IGotsNewShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina
Are you sure you saw it to the end?

That ending left a huge question mark. Mainly:

Spoiler:
What will happen to Reggie? Will he get back to save Mike?
Spoiler:
Reggie was back with Mike at the end of Oblivion, it just happened to be in the past
Old 03-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

UPDATED INFO from Bloody-Disgusting:

"With the vast amounts of horror remakes already made and the well drying up quickly on what can be done that’s new, one of the last storied horror franchises, PHANTASM, seems a likely target as one of the next films to be re-imagined in Hollywood.

However, PHANTASM director Don Coscarelli says the chances of that happening aren’t likely at least in the immediate future. “I’m reluctant to push forward with anything because I as well as the original cast have created a lot of good will with the fan base and I’ve seen some of the remakes and some of them have really gone south,” Coscarelli says. “They have damaged the original franchises and the original movies to a point that it is a real worry.”

Yet Coscarelli says it would be an opportunity to open the film up to new audiences and generate interest in the original films. While Coscarelli has had discussion with some studios, the chances of seeing a PHANTASM remake any time in the near future is highly unlikely.

“There aren’t a lot of franchises left to remake,” Coscarelli says. “There is desire out there to get it done but nothing has felt right so far. It may happen one day but right now it is not in the cards.”

However, the same cannot be said about PHANTASM 5 as Coscarelli says he already has a completed script for the film and really would love to work with the original cast one more time.

“I would love to work with them again,” Coscarelli says. “Anchor Bay is starting to finance movies and they are eager to get us to make another film but it is a function to find the time.”"
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #29
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

No point at all in a remake. The period is what makes these films, IMO. I'm actually more excited about Phantasm III arriving on DVD. I've not seen it or OblIVian yet, so I've got all the Phantasm I need without a FUCKIN' CGI WASTELAND.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #30
baggio
HackMaster

I'm putting a new approach to remakes that I'm against for now on. Don't see them, and they won't exist or matter in my world. kinda like Eli Roth films.

Take the Halloween remake for example. Will never see it or acknowledge it. Oh oh, I just ack it. Oh well. From this point on.

Last edited by baggio; 03-23-2007 at 04:51 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote