Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-07-2005, 02:34 AM   #31
Damage
Mirror Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
Why? Does he suck a dick?
"May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous -- in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."
My DVD List and Movie Tracker... Like you care!
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #32
badnewsbrown

Last edited by badnewsbrown; 08-23-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:25 AM   #33
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Quote:
The trailer gets really gay...
Quote:
Why? Does he suck a dick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsbrown
Yes he does.
Two at the same time at that while listening to Barbra Streisand. It's crazy!

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #34
Cujo108

Quote:
apparently the majority of the movie is set in the court room, and very little actually focuses on the exorcism/horror aspects.
I have no problem with that. Should prove quite interesting, and its something different. With it being based on a true case, I'm glad they're exploring the various aspects.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #35
betterdan

Well we went and saw this today and it started out ok then it just got downright boring very fast. I love demon possession movies and I went in hoping this was going to be really good but instead I actually fell asleep a few times. There have only been 2 other movies I have fell asleep in at the theater that I can remember and this just became #3 (Deadtime Stories and Hellraiser 3 being the other 2).
I don't mind court room drama in movies but damn 2 hours of this just sucks. My wife left the theater saying it was one of the most boring movies she has ever seen and mind you she even bought White Chicks on dvd.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #36
onebyone

Hmmm. I really wanted to love this movie, but I came away just liking it. I say that it is a 3/5 star effort. It was well acted and mostly directed in a not in your face manner that I appreciated. I did in fact love all scenes involving Emily Rose. Those were great. The actress playing her, Jennifer Carpenter, was very good. She broke my heart. Broke.my.heart. I hurt for her and desperately wanted to reach into the movie and save her myself.

I think it ran into trouble in the courtroom part of the story though. I appreciate that they tried to do something different, but maybe they should have tried a bit harder. The scholarly debate seemed to just scratch the surface of the story and all related issues. It was more like giving the technical definition of related terms and less jumping into something more meaty. That was disappointing, and kind of boring. I also wish that there had been more actual drama in the court. It seemed to me that the movie never really investigated the possibility that maybe she was a sick girl and the priest and family did really mess up her care. That would have been interesting. That could have created intellectual conflict. As it was, you were clearly supposed to side with the whole demon thing. That was disappointing, and kind of boring.

As a petty aside, Campbell Scott does not rock a mustache. He is a good actor, but put a mustache on him, and he just looks silly.

This movie made like $11 million on Friday. Since most guessed that it would make 15-18 million for the whole weekend, it is well ahead of expectations.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-11-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #37
MrVess

Is the kittykat still in it?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #38
Cydeous
Axxon N

I just saw this and I really enjoyed it. I didn't find any aspect of this film to be the least boring. It could have been more, of course, but overall it was a lot better than I expected. The actress playing Emily Rose was great and the rest of the cast was good, too. The film even achieved to send a few chills down my spine, especially when
Spoiler:
the lawyer woke up at 3am and noticed her apartment door adjar. Maybe it's just me, but it creeped me out.
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #39
onebyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVess
Is the kittykat still in it?

That cap is awesome, and yes, there are cats.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-11-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #40
dmeister
Maniac

Primal Fear 2.
Starring Campbell Scott as Richard Gere, Jennifer Carpenter as Edward Norton, and Laura Linney as herself.

dmeister
dmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #41
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

I thought the movie was really good. Not perfect, and certainly no The Exorcist (but what is?). As has been pointed out already, the scenes involving Emily Rose worked the best. They had good atmosphere and I liked the fact that they relied more on Jennifer Carpenter's acting and body contortions than special effects (though, they did pop up here and there). The courtroom scenes worked on their own right, I suppose, and I wasn't bored by them like some people but they were definitely the least interesting aspect of the film. Also pointed out already is the fact that the film doesn't take a neutral stance as it's quite clear that co- writer / director Scott Derrickson and co-writer Paul Harris Boardman feel that Emily was truly possessed. All in all, the two parts of the movie don't quite gel (like the underrated The Island) and this is its main downfall. But, I still appreciate what they tried to do and the acting is good to great across the board (gotta love Campbell Scott). I still find it funny that the writers / director of Hellraiser: Inferno were able to make a film that grossed $30 million over opening weekend (double what experts had predicted). Oh well, I liked Hellraiser: Inferno anyway.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #42
allmessedup
It's beer time.

Yeah, when I heard a lot of it was a courtroom drama I decided this could wait for video...thanks for the headsup.
allmessedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #43
Katatonia
Master of Doom

This is one flick that I really do want to try to catch in the theater soon if I can. It sounds like the reaction to it is mixed however.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #44
Big Sick

i saw this movie and it was awesome, definately buying it when it comes out.

i really think people think things are boring or things like that because they dont visualize themselves in that situation. thats what makes a horror movie scary if you think you are the person getting chased..you are the person doing the exorcism..otherwise horror is just a movie
Old 09-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #45
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/509080302

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote