Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #46
onebyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sick
i really think people think things are boring or things like that because they dont visualize themselves in that situation. thats what makes a horror movie scary if you think you are the person getting chased..you are the person doing the exorcism..otherwise horror is just a movie
A movie has to do that for you though. It has to suck you in and make itself come alive for you; it isn't your responsibility. The parts with Emily Rose did that for me though. They felt real to me. I hurt for her. The courtroom part, not so much. I did like the movie though, on average. I just think it would have been a lot better had it not shortchanged the intellectual debate.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-11-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #47
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sick
i saw this movie and it was awesome, definately buying it when it comes out.

i really think people think things are boring or things like that because they dont visualize themselves in that situation. thats what makes a horror movie scary if you think you are the person getting chased..you are the person doing the exorcism..otherwise horror is just a movie
that's how i viewed The Blair Witch Project (& numerous others for that matter). if i had watched it as "just a movie" and not place myself in that situation, then it wouldn't have been "scary."

at any rate, saw this flick today and enjoyed it very much. I hope the dvd edition includes some kind of featurette on the actual case.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #48
The Black Death

Everyone in the theater I was in was laughing at most of the movie...
I enjoyed myself and laughed a lot too but wouldn't really want to see it again
Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 AM   #49
Cydeous
Axxon N

Thanks for the link, KR~! I agree with what Ebert said about the film and now I'm curious to read the actual accounts on the Anneliese Michael case. Are they even available? Does anyone know?
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #50
baggio
HackMaster

totally shocked this film made 30 million. Guess there was nothing else to see this weekend. With all the bad reviews. Not saying there was not any promotion, but I figured nobody cared about this movie. Guess I was wrong.

If you think about it it made just as much as Wedding Crashers did in its opening weekend. And that was in JULY.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 AM   #51
Cujo108

I finally got around to seeing this one this afternoon, and I enjoyed it a great deal. It didn't bore me. Not even once. The trial scenes were involving and always maintained my full attention. The exceptionally strong acting really helped to keep me involved. The performances were a lot better than I expected them to be. Linney, Wilkinson, Scott, and Carpenter are all very believable. They really keep the film afloat. With a weaker cast, this film really would've sunk.

The scenes with Emily were intensely eerie. The subdued effects worked perfectly, and the hell that Emily's body and mind go through is very unnerving to watch. The scene where she becomes as stiff as a board was especially disturbing. When the exorcism attempt came, I was pleasantly surprised with a very powerful sequence. I had heard criticism of the exorcism sequence, but it was very effective from where I was sitting.

The film has both a beautiful look and a beautiful score. The score complimented things nicely, while the snow covered landscapes and overall atmosphere make for a film that is very pleasing to the eye. I also enjoyed some of the editing techniques such as the one used to show Father Moore running down the stairs in his flashback.

Overall, this was a very impressive film. Where it could've been somewhat laughable, it was touching instead. Where it could've come off as boring, it was instead thought provoking. The disturbing, frightening elements are ever present as well. Consider me a fan.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #52
marcx
HackMaster

Finally caught this last night--its hard for the wife and I to get to the theater together witha 7 month old and she wanted to see this one...

Anywya I thought it was great. adult, intelligent horror. Yes it is a court/trail film, but there is still plenty of unnerving scenes and horror on hand here. Well acted and intelligently presented, I was impressed....
marcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #53
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Saw this on opening weekend, and despite the lame comments of the majority of the crowd as the credits rolled, I really liked this one. It's really sad how audiences have been dumbed down and conditioned to expect certain things-I am sure many people expected this to be a retread of The Exorcist (1973) with the graphic effects, profanity etc. The fact that the film is indeed an intelligent courtroom drama went over the heads of the mostly adolescent audience who were probably duped by the ad campaign thinking this would be the next Sarah Michelle Gellar or Jennifer Love Hewitt type thriller.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #54
betterdan

I didn't expect any of that anthropophagus. I just expected it to be good and instead it was boring. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but it is up there with the most boring.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:56 PM   #55
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
I didn't expect any of that anthropophagus. I just expected it to be good and instead it was boring. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but it is up there with the most boring.
Fair enough, I just suspect your reasons for disliking the film are different from the group of teeny boppers in the audience that night when I saw it. As an avid fan of true horror film you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #56
betterdan

But... but... I am a teeny bopper
Old 09-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #57
Jamm
J'aime les cadavres

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
But... but... I am a teeny boffer

So, the movie isn't exactly what the trailers or the ads make it out to be? Wow, that's a first! I can wait for it to come out on video, but at least now I have an idea of what to expect when I watch it, so I'll probably end up liking it.

"You're a great teacher Orville, and a wonderful friend. And I think, in time, we may get even closer."
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #58
betterdan

Damn you Jamm!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #59
Luna

I saw this last night at the dollar theater and enjoyed it enough. The ending
Spoiler:
where she tells the guy to shove his promotion
was a bit odd, but okay...

It was clear the movie wanted you to side with the demonic possession side of the debate, which I pretty much expected. I'd say the funniest thing that happened was that some guy to the left of me said at the very end, when the text was being shown, "That was fo' real?! Jesus CHRIST!"

I had to hold in my laughter.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #60
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
It was clear the movie wanted you to side with the demonic possession side of the debate, which I pretty much expected.
Although I see what you mean there, I found myself finding the prosecutions case more compelling and believable.

I really enjoyed this film. It had all the punch of the original excorcist without ripping it off in the least bit. Great film.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote