Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #61
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I enjoyed the film overall, but it just seemed to lose steam in the last 20 minutes or so to me. It just kinda felt weak at the end for some reason....

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #62
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

I'm off to see this on Friday

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 AM   #63
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan
I'm off to see this on Friday
Take along a sleeping bag you may need it.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:58 AM   #64
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

My girlfriend saw it and actually liked it a little bit. Generally she doesn't like horror movies (unless it's something I beg her to check out), but she saw this without me and recommended it to me. So, I guess it's one I'll be renting.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #65
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Went to see this Friday Night, it was OK. I found it more interesting than scary as a matter of fact I didn't think it was scary at all.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #66
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Saw this last night. I was really pleasantly surprised, but then again I'm a sucker for Laura Linney.

All in all, I'd say if you like the Practice and the original Exorcist, you'll probably enjoy Emily Rose. It's got a great, strong cast (Jennifer Carpenter was nothing less than amazing), enough creepy moments to satisfy the horror fans (who, admittedly, know they shouldn't expect "full-blown"-horror) and intellectual arguements that are sure to fuel debates after the film is over. A very good film in my opinion and I'm sure its reputation will grow with time!

And did you notice the Bavaesque lighting in Laura Linney's apartment? All those neon pinks and blue-greens? I almost expected to hear water dripping ...

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #67
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

A good and most of all an HONEST horror movie.
At last, a thriller that makes tou think a bit. We seem to forget that thinking is a part of the movie experience. Of course there was Land OF THE DEAD but still....

There Is No Freedom, Wake Up.
The Chaostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #68
onebyone

This movie was not nearly as cerebral as it thought it was. If you have read anything on the topic, you learned nothing from this at all... yet the lecturing went on and on and on. I wanted it to make me think about the subject in new ways, but it didn't.

I liked the movie well enough, but I do have to take exception to this being painted as some great intellectual endeavor.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #69
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone
I likes the movie well enough, but I do have to take exception to this being painted as some great intellectual endeavor.
Of course it wasn't. You don't have to be intellectual to make someone think. It wasn't Tarkovsky! When I mentioned that the film is honest, I meant that it kept a distance. It said, "ok, you may not believe, but how can you have no doubt about it?". This is the key to truth in my opinion. That's why I appreciated the film. You rarely get films that do that from major studios anymore. Amidst all these stupid films we get, it's good someone to make just a small difference.

There Is No Freedom, Wake Up.
The Chaostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #70
Mok
Helena Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone
This movie was not nearly as cerebral as it thought it was.
I don't get this statement. How can a movie think?
What you're saying is that the movie came off as though it was more intellect-driven than it actually was? Explain, I don't see what you mean.
Spoiler:

There were two sides to the case, nothing more. Realistically the prosecution argued that there was scientific explanation for the posession. Is that what you mean? That seems like a pretty obvious direction to me.

Better question, what movie would you compare it to in order for this to be as cerebral as "it thought it was"?
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #71
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddytay
My girlfreind and I watched this 2 nights ago and we both thought it was terribly boring. There was nothing scary, or even remotely intresting in this movie. My brother liked it, but I truely don't understand how. I really thought it was terrible. I'd say it was equally boring as the grudge. I would point out bad parts, but it all was bad.
Forgive me if I sound stupid but I really am interested in what people (like you) think is a scary movie? Also, what movie has challenged you mentally? This question isn't strictly for you, by the way.

For example, someone mentioned Tarkovsky. Now he makes movies that really make you think. "Stalker" comes to mind as a masterpiece, but reading this post can only make me think that you would find "Stalker" extremely boring. So, what is intellectual to you?
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 AM   #72
WesReviews
HackMaster

So, for those who have the DVD...what's the main difference in the "unrated" version and the "theatrical" version?

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 AM   #73
broadwayrock

from a review:

"It runs about three minutes longer than the “PG-13” theatrical cut. Fans shouldn’t expect anything too titillating from the unrated edition. It didn’t present nudity, profanity or graphic violence that wouldn’t have been acceptable in a “PG-13” film. It appears that most – all? – of the extra footage comes from Dr. Adani’s cross-examination. This shows up around the 61-minute mark and was cut simply for pacing, not due to graphic content."

http://dvdmg.com/exorcismemilyrose.shtml
Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #74
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It was okay, but also quite annoying, boring, and even insulting at times. There's not really that much to think about when you get down to it. The entire "you either believe or you don't" argument played like a bad record in the film.

Now, if they'd only make a demonic possession film where the demon speaks in an older language than Latin, Aramaic, etc.! How about the first 'mother' language?

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #75
dmeister
Maniac

Quote:
Now, if they'd only make a demonic possession film where the demon speaks in an older language than Latin, Aramaic, etc.!
I think Azazel in Fallen spoke in ancient Sumerian or something.

dmeister
dmeister is offline   Reply With Quote