Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-23-2005, 05:25 AM   #91
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeister
Did she become fluent in three languages before or after she flew to Tibet to master the use of her "second" vocal cord?

dmeister
I wouldn't say she spoke enough of any of the languages to call it remotely 'fluent'. The second vocal chord theory was put forward by the prosecution to debunk the defense after all.

Last edited by Katatonia; 12-23-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:28 AM   #92
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

I thought the movie was ok. A few genuinely scary moments and I think the Priest role was done very well.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #93
Lionheart

I went out and bought this one yesterday and watched it today. Not a bad movie, but I wouldn't consider it a *good* movie either. It sorta boiled down to a "PG-13" version of The Exorcist. I have to say, a lot of the script was really dumbed down to a point of almost pandering. A little tough to sit through. I think Jennifer Carpenter did an amazing job, though. Her acting saved this film - the scary parts were well shot, but the only decent acting in the scary scenes were done by Jennifer Carpenter. For the most part, the rest of the cast that were in the scary scenes looked like "warm props" reciting the lines like they were doing a read-through without knowing that the cameras were actually rolling. This is probably one of the big differences between this movie and The Exorcist. The Exorcist had good acting in the entire cast.

The courtroom sequences were necessary for the plot, but, if any of you have been on a jury, you would see how rediculous a lot of the script was in the courtroom sequences. I think this movie could have been amazing if it stopped trying to be a "PG-13" movie, and if the acting was better and the script was stronger. Jennifer Carpenter was definitely the right person to play Emily Rose, but if this movie was given to a different director, maybe they could have hired better actors for the supporting cast (?)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #94
Jamm
J'aime les cadavres

We rented this when it came out and I just found it incredibly dull. To even try and call it a PG-13 Exorcist is stretching it. It was just a PG-13 bore.

"You're a great teacher Orville, and a wonderful friend. And I think, in time, we may get even closer."
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #95
4Gotten1

Just saw it this weekend and really enjoyed it. This movie could have ended up being the biggest piece of shit since House of the Dead, but I have to say it was some very steady direction and some very good performances. A couple of truly great creepy...scary scenes. A nice change of pace, and I appreciated the fact that it wasn't trying to be an Exorcist rip-off.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #96
Jimbo
The Bloodstained Shadow

I thought it was a great court room drama.Not to much in the horror department but still a decent effort.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 PM   #97
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm
We rented this when it came out and I just found it incredibly dull. To even try and call it a PG-13 Exorcist is stretching it. It was just a PG-13 bore.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #98
shift
Ring who?

Seen it twice and both times I feel asleep and still have yet to watch the whole movie .
I am trying to complete this shit, but its boreing the hell outta me
Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #99
Jamm
J'aime les cadavres

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift
Seen it twice and both times I feel asleep and still have yet to watch the whole movie .
I am trying to complete this shit, but its boreing the hell outta me
It took my partner four times to watch the whole thing. He kept falling asleep too.

"You're a great teacher Orville, and a wonderful friend. And I think, in time, we may get even closer."
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #100
Cydeous
Axxon N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm
It took my partner four times to watch the whole thing. He kept falling asleep too.
ADD?
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #101
Paff

Damn. What a steaming pile of crap.

You know, I like the idea of the whole thing taking place "post-mortem", with the drama unfolding as they discover the story. Except it's done 1000x better on freakin' TELEVISION, in a show called Law & Order. L&O actually has plot twists and drama in their courtroom scenes.

I don't mind the excessive courtroom scenes, but you have to make them interesting and compelling! To the poster who said that this was not like real court, I gotta respectfully disagree. It was just as boring as a real trial! There has to be drama, and a build-up to a climax. The priest's testimony came too early and too sudden, and they lost the energy immediately afterwards.

I like Laura Linney too, but this has all the markings of a "favor" film, where she had to make this to satisfy a clause in a contract. She sleepwalked through the role, and it wasn't a very interesting role to begin with.

Everyone praising the girl who played Emily Rose, that I'll agree with. So why was she in the film so little?? More of her, and this would have been a good movie. Let's see more of her as the sheltered high schooler....few friends, restrictive home life (not as severe as Carrie White, but you get the idea...). Then she goes to college, makes some friends, begins dating, etc. Now when the possession hits, we really care about her.

And let's get a little more about the priest while we're at it. I know they wanted to distance themselves from The Exorcist, but what made that movie so damn good was how Father Karras' faith was tested over and over again before he even meets Regan. A little more of that kind of character study and development would have gone a long way in Emily Rose.

There was a good story, and a good movie here. Too bad they chose not to film it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #102
RyanPC

I still can't bring myself to rent this. I've heard some good things about it, but I'd rather just watch The Exorcist again.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #103
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

I'm waiting for cable on the horror flicks that didn't inspire me enough to watch to check them out in theatres. I was burned by a few last year..."White Noise" comes to mind, but there is a certain satisfaction in waiting to see stuff like "Alone in the Dark". It's more fun to make fun of them when you're just watching them in your living room. But I hope to be pleasantly surprised by at least a few of these that I'm holding out for on TMN.

The Ring Two
The Fog
Dark Water
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Hide and Seek
The Jacket (it's on, just haven't gotten around to it)
Doom
The Cave
Cry_Wolf

and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #104
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPC
I still can't bring myself to rent this. I've heard some good things about it, but I'd rather just watch The Exorcist again.
Good idea, unless you want to fall asleep quick that is.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #105
dmeister
Maniac

Quote:
But I hope to be pleasantly surprised by at least a few of these that I'm holding out for on TMN
A few of those really sucked, so I would recommend keeping your expectations low.

dmeister
dmeister is offline   Reply With Quote