Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
jeffco
Screamy Bopper

World War Z movie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5082358.stm

'Pitt beats DiCaprio' in film bid

Pitt recently starred in Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's film Babel
Brad Pitt has beaten Leonardo DiCaprio in a bidding war for the film rights to zombie book World War Z, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Pitt's production company Plan B and studio Paramount Pictures competed with DiCaprio's firm Applan Way, backed by Warner Bros, the report said.

Max Brooks's novel is set 10 years after a global zombie epidemic and is due to be published this autumn.

It follows the success of Brooks' 2003 book Zombie Survival Guide.

It was not revealed how much Plan B and Paramount paid for the rights.

DiCaprio will soon be seen in The Departed, a crime drama directed by Martin Scorsese and produced by Pitt and Plan B.

And Pitt is due to play Jesse James in an upcoming Hollywood movie about the legendary outlaw.
jeffco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
X-human
I ate my keys

I hear Zombie Survival Guide is very good, for example he's a "slow zombie" purist so at least World War Z won't have zombies running around like monkeys on speed. I can only have hope, an original zombie movie is finally being made. And hey, maybe Angelina Jolie will star?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

Sounds like it could have potential. I'd much rather see Pitt doing this than DiCaprio. You know, the whole "lesser of two evils" thing...
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Nos4ah2

Isn't it kind of early to option a book when it hasn't even been published yet?
Jesus. Hollywood is really desperate, huh?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
buck135
The Duke of New York

Here's the trailer:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/worldwarz/

I still haven't even read the book yet. I realize it's just a teaser trailer, but it reminds me of the remake of "War of the Worlds." I couldn't happen to think of George Romero while watching it. The cost to film/create the two minutes in that trailer alone probably cost more than the budgets of "Land", "Diary" and "Survival" combined.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
fceurich39
HackMaster

i dunno i have a feeling this could seriously flop that trailer didnt impress me at all and the zombies WTF is that?
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

That seriously was some of the worst CGI I have seen since that Will Smith "I Am Legend" piece of shit. Max Brooks' book was great and this movie looks to me like it's just using the name 'cause I see nothing in that trailer resembling anything in the book. What the hell is Hollywood thinking anymore? The zombies in that trailer made it look like a fucking Looney Toons cartoon.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
fceurich39
HackMaster

so it was delayed from dec 21st to june 2013 for THIS???????????????? and also i heard PG-13 now as well this is a god damn joke?????
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeeeeeeeeesh...

The tone of the movie seems serious...yet the CG makes the zombies look cartoony and goofy...so not sure if serious?

Huge LoLz @ the rubber zombie pyramid.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #10
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

For once I'd like to see a zombie flick that did NOT follow tradition. Why are zombies always hungry? Why do they want to eat people? Why can't they just shamble around aimlessly without attacking people? Make something different and maybe I'll want to watch it but not this cartoon.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
maybrick
HackMaster

And why don't they ever attack each other? They're dead and stupid. They shouldn't even have a clue.

But yeah I agree that this looks awful. Reminds me of 2012. I never read World War Z but I have the zombie survival guide from which I believe the book was a sequel (prequel) of. The zombies are more or less your Romero type zombie. They didn't run.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Haven't read the book, but I do know that this film isn't destined for success from what I've read about online through various sources:

- The movie's plot, from what I hear, is not the plot from the book... "The story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself. Enos plays Gerry’s wife Karen Lane; Kertesz is his comrade in arms, Segen."

- the reason for the six month release delay is because it needed "significant" re-shoots and hired Damon Lindlelof to re-write the third act

- things got so heated on set that director Marc Foster and Brad Pitt were no longer speaking to each other and so the director had to relay his thoughts via notes through an assistant to get them to Pitt. Pitt, who's production company is making the film (with costs ballooning over $150 million), also hand-selected the director prior to shooting...

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
muceo13
Victim

Looks nothing like the book.
muceo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Yikes. I want to see this, but I don't want to pay for it. That I what the trailer made me feel. What's with zombies flowing like water through a sidewalk? The pyramid almost makes sense, but man does it look wrong on second take (first viewing on little screen it looked cool, second on big screen was WTF city). That would be a great trailer if it didn't have zombies, I fear this could've been a great film without zombies too. I'm expecting the worst cuz I've already seen lots of bad, add in what I read and it sounds like disaster.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

I am actually looking forward to this, if only because it's the first and last time that $175 million is ever going to be spent on a zombie film. I'm actually not too bothered by the fakeish-looking CGI, but that may be because pretty much all CGI looks fakeish to my eyes. You kind of have to accept that it comes with the territory, sort of like accepting how people ludicrously break into spontaneous song and dance in a musical.

Anyways, Marc Foster is a hack and it's no surprise that they ran into this many problems making the damn thing.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote