Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 AM   #1
Mortis
GARBAGE DAY!

Elvira to DVD

ELVIRA BOUNCING TO DVD

Quote:
Independent DVD distributor Shout! Factory has just licensed every Elvira-hosted movie ever made. What does this mean? Best-of dvd box sets.

Cassandra Peterson (Elvira's real name) is picking her favorites right now, and Shout will attempt to acquire the ones not already in the public domain. Considering how many crappy movies she's done, that shouldn't be too much of a problem... and there are over 300 movies in the collection, after all.

On a side note, I ran into Elvira at this October's Chiller Theatre convention. I was there with my girlfriend who was excited to see her, because I had just recently shown her the great bit of camp that Elvira: Mistress of the Dark is (yeah, she'd never seen it). She tried to get a picture with Elvira, but her snippy little PR girl told us that Elvira only took pictures with people who bought a $20 picture or something. My girl noticed a bag of Elvira Candy Corn sitting on the table, so she tried to purchase that. How much for a bag of candy corn? $25. "She signs it, it's a collector's item." Very weak, Elvira. You know how much wank material I missed out on because of this?

Anyway... Elvira's dvds should be out by Halloween next year.
http://www.creature-corner.com/?type=news&id=993
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 AM   #2
onebyone

Ok, does this include the Movie Macabre ones? Is this guy being grand with his "ever made" or is he for real? Could I actually get some of those on DVD? That seems way too good to be true. **Deep breath** Since that is my number one DVD hope, I am going to try and not believe it until I know more. **Deep breath** The disappointment would be brutal. **Deep breath**
Old 12-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

This is awesome - I can't wait to see this. I've only 2 Elvira hosted films when they first aired (New Years Evil being one of them).
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
VideoViolence

Sounds like her PR girl is a real c.........winner And that Elvira may not be too far off.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
onebyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70
This is awesome - I can't wait to see this. I've only 2 Elvira hosted films when they first aired (New Years Evil being one of them).
Are you saying you have her hosting New Years Evil or that you saw it? That's one of her best ones. I wish to god I had that.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Noto

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone
**Deep breath** Since that is my number one DVD hope**Deep breath**

You are going to hyperventilate.

Besides, I bet you said that to half of your DVDs.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

The obvious question that first comes to mind is how are they going to get licenses for all the movies she has hosted (including The Texas Chain Saw Massacre)?

There are people online who have copies of her Movie Macabre-hosted films, but they usually want a pretty penny/trade for them.

Last edited by Agent Z; 02-01-2006 at 05:23 AM.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
onebyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Code Z
The obvious question that first comes to mind is how are they going to get licenses for all the movies she has hosted (including The Texas Chain Saw Masacre)?

There are people online who have copies of her Movie Macabre-hosted films, but they usually want a pretty penny/trade for them.
Maybe they should just first go after the movies no one remembers or cares about like say my beloved So Sad About Gloria? Please. Pretty please. Thanks.

I have had the most horrible luck trying to get the Movie Macabre hosted films. I have come to the conclusion that everyone who claims to have them are evil Satanic minions, but maybe I am just Elvira Movie Macabre Cursed.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-02-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Wayne Manor
Maniac

Does this mean she'll include all the bits like the Heavy Breather from her KHJ show or what exactly is on these discs?

edit: she lost her virginity to Tom Jones, whereupon she had to go to the hospital to get stitches because he split her with his incredibly huge Welsh penis.
Wayne Manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
henrychinaski

I seriously hope this is true.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
X-human
I ate my keys

Well the poster contradicts himself, first he says they have licensed then he says they're going to try to license. My guess is Shout! Factory's just picked up distribution rights to all the Elvira hosting footage, not for the movies she hosted.

So we'll probably get stuff much like the MST3k releases, boxsets of what they could release. The guy also said she's picking her best stuff so that seems to support that conclusion. Mixed sets of what they can get instead of cronological releases of everything.

As for Elvira's $$$ grubbing, well that is how she earns a living. That's why I just get pictures taken with the waitresses at Hooters...

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:45 AM   #12
X-human
I ate my keys

Hollywood Reporter confirms the announcement:
Quote:
Elvira brings macabre cult classics to DVD
Thu Dec 1, 2005 9:51 AM ET

By Thomas K. Arnold

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Elvira is coming to DVD.

Cassandra Peterson, the former Las Vegas showgirl who in the early 1980s gained fame as the raven-haired TV horror-film hostess, is taking her act to Shout! Factory.

The independent DVD supplier has licensed the entire archive of Elvira-hosted movies, including "Elvira's Movie Macabre," the nationally syndicated television series that ran from 1981-86.

Peterson is screening her wraparounds to pick her favorites, and then Shout! Factory will begin the clearance process for the hosted movies not in the public domain.

The first releases likely will be out in time for Halloween 2006, said Eric Gardner, CEO of Panacea Entertainment, who brokered the deal.

Among the more than 300 films in the Elvira archive are such cult classics as "Crucible of Horror"; Roger Corman's "Fall of the House of Usher," with Vincent Price; "The House That Dripped Blood"; and the quasi-comedic "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!"

"It's amazing how many people have asked me over the years, 'When are these movies going to be out again,' or 'where can we find them,"' Peterson said. "Now, I finally can give them an answer."

One of Peterson's favorites is "Pigs," a vintage horror film so obscure it's not even listed on the Internet Movie Database.

"It's about these killer pigs that go on a rampage and become human-eating beasts," Peterson said. "Bacon is after you -- you've got to love the concept."

"Elvira's Movie Macabre" began airing in 1981 on KHJ-TV in Los Angeles. Within two years, the show could be seen in more than 80 markets. The series remained a ratings winner until production ceased in late 1985.

"Not only had we exhausted the then-current supply of nationally available bad horror movies," Gardner said, "but we were making a deal with Brandon Tartikoff and NBC for what was to become the first Elvira feature."

Elvira's first movie, "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark," came out in October 1987. Since then, Peterson has cut several more films -- most recently "Elvira's Haunted Hills," released on DVD in October 2003 -- and hosted three more series of horror movies.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
http://today.reuters.com/PrinterFrie...S&special=true

Although Pigs very much is listed in the IMDb and out on DVD from Troma.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:34 AM   #13
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I think it was on her show that I first saw PIGS, as a matter of fact. (I hear the DVD is awful)

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:24 AM   #14
Wayne Manor
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck
I think it was on her show that I first saw PIGS, as a matter of fact. (I hear the DVD is awful)
The film in question is likely Daddy's Deadly Darling (1972).

Depressing to think that Hollywood Reporter reporters can't properly use iMDB.
Wayne Manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #15
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck
It's cut to hell. Edited TV print.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote