Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Creep (2014)

I attended a screening of this movie earlier tonight. There doesn't seem to be much info out there about it. I couldn't even find a trailer, and I could only find two stills from the movie. It's a new found-footage horror movie from Blumhouse Productions (Paranormal Activity and Insidious), and it stars Mark Duplass.

This movie probably isn't for everyone, but it totally worked for me. I loved it. This coming from someone who generally dislikes found-footage and mumblecore. It's quite possibly the scariest comedy I've ever seen. The humor and the horror work extremely well here. Which isn't necessarily to say you're supposed to be laughing, most of the humor comes from the awkwardness of the whole situation. It keeps you on your toes though, because you never know when the movie is going to go for a joke or a scare. And there are moments here that are genuinely frightening.

Also, it's pretty remarkable how easily Mark Duplass can transition back and forth between sympathetic weirdo and outright terrifying. It's also remarkable how his character can maintain his creepiness given how overexposed he is. There are only two characters in the entire film, so he has a lot of screentime... and it works.

I could say more about the film or the plot, but I think the less said the better. This one will probably work best viewed cold. And it's definitely better experienced with an equally unsuspecting audience. The twists in the later half of the film aren't especially surprising or groundbreaking, but it's still better left unspoiled.

If you can stomach the found-footage genre, I would highly recommend checking this out when it is released. I can't guarantee you'll like it, but it's definitely worth the try. I'll be curious to hear everyone's opinions once they meet Peachfuzz and experience "tubby time".
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Release news: Creep will finally be released by Blumhouse / Radius TWC on July 14th, exclusively on NetFlix streaming.

Full article

Quote:
Sometimes films totally drop off the radar to the point that we donít quite know what even happened to them. Thatís precisely what went down with Patrick Briceís Creep (review), which was supposed to see release last October but then completely vanished. Read on for the latest.

Today brings along with it the good news that Netflix has grabbed exclusive distribution rights to the Blumhouse Productions/Radius-TWC film, and theyíre set to make it available for instant streaming on July 14th.

The microbudget horror film stars Patrick Brice as a videographer who answers an online ad to film a stranger (Mark Duplass) in a remote mountain town for a personal project that turns sinister.

Last we heard, the plan was to eventually turn Creep into a trilogy.

Synopsis:
Aaron is an optimistic videographer who decides to come work for Josef after answering his ad on Craigslist. All Aaron has to do is record Josef throughout the day and remain discreet about the entire setup. Josef tells Aaron that heíll be recording a series of videos for his unborn son, as heís suffering from a terminal illness and will never be able to see him grow up.

While Josef seems strange, the money is too good for Aaron to pass up, and he agrees to the task. However, as the day progresses, Josef becomes increasingly strange and Aaron finds it difficult to tell whether or not some of the things Josef is saying or doing are truly jokes or actually a sign of true danger and mental instability.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Trailer

Will be available on iTunes on June 23rd ahead of NetFlix (July 14th).
Old 06-06-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Mark Duplass has been pretty hit or miss for me, but this film looks fantastic.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:51 AM   #5
soxfan666
HackMaster

Looks pretty cool to me. July 14th double feature of Creep and It Follows. Gonna be a good night!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Now available to stream on NetFlix.

Curious to see what people here think about it.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #7
hots4
Maniac

I enjoyed it, a few to many jump scares, but an interesting film, a scenario that could happen, makes it all the more creepy, good day on Netflix today watched this and lost souls. Enjoyed both.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

"From the producers of Paranormal Activity and Insidious" is all the information I need to take a pass.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
MaxRenn
Stalker

Very good found footage movie with nothing too surprising but elevated by a terrific performance by Duplass. The mixture of awkward comedy and dread is very well done and the scene at the park is just great. It probably should have ended there as the last scene is pure cliche for a movie of this type.

The other thing about the movie I liked was that it was "organically" found footage. I never really found myself questioning the use of the camera as it was interwoven perfectly into the film. There are also a couple of clever transitions which work as twists in the story. Definitely worth a look. *** out of ****
Old 07-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
soxfan666
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRenn View Post
Very good found footage movie with nothing too surprising but elevated by a terrific performance by Duplass. The mixture of awkward comedy and dread is very well done and the scene at the park is just great.

Agree about the park scene, it was excellent. Overall I liked the movie, but wasn't blown away.