Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Ash28M
HackMaster

Oculus (2013)

So has anyone gone to see this yet? I caught up with it last Septermber at TIFF and enjoyed it quite a bit. I Would like to read some of your thoughts.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I saw it a couple days ago and gotta say, it was pretty damn good!
It was probably the trippiest horror film I've seen in a long time, because watching the
Spoiler:
adult siblings walk around the house and encounter their younger counterparts was crazy!

My friends and I were confused the whole movie about the mirror though, but we think that made it all the more freaky. The ending is crazy! I loved how simple the film was, there hardly any gore at all and the tone all throughout was so dark and grim.
I need to see it again

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
x666x
HackMaster

Yeah I liked it too. It is not typically my kind of horror sub-genre but it was rather well done considering it is not a slasher kind of film. The idea was rather ambitious but well executed. Usually a film like this cannot be done without leaving a lot of gaping holes in logic. Not just anyone can edit this kind of film.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
dave13
HackMaster

I just assumed it was this year's haunted mirror film. is it actually worth watching?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Erick H.
HackMaster

The acting is solid .DOCTOR WHO fans will wanna note Karen Gillum ,"Amy Pond", is the female lead. I also enjoyed the low key electronic score, gave it a bit of an 80's vibe. Not a deeply plotted film, it's more of a mood/atmosphere piece. I appreciated the fact that it wasn't an effects driven picture, most of it is in camera stuff, not digital, with jolts coming from the cinematography and editing rather than CGI. Only cost 5 million. Nothing earth shattering but I was entertained.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I want to see this but rarely if ever go to see horror movies in the theater anymore.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Wow, so that was incredibly overrated. Really didn't do much for me at all.

I suppose there were some interesting visuals and ideas in there, but it's really hard to care when you have such boring main characters. Why were they speaking in monotone? It was like they thought they were in a Diablo Cody movie minus the humor. The lead girl was especially awful. She was so cold and passive to her husband, I couldn't force myself to care about what ultimately happens to them. Actually, I did have some sympathy for the husband, only because he was married to such an ice queen. Very surprising, as the characters were one of the stronger elements of the director's previous film Absentia.

I'm honestly baffled by all the buzz this was getting in the horror community. It's far from the worst I've seen, but it's easily the year's biggest disappointment.

Thank goodness I had Synapse's wonderful Curtains blu-ray to chase this with, so the evening wasn't a total bust.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
sade
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Wow, so that was incredibly overrated. Really didn't do much for me at all.

I'm honestly baffled by all the buzz this was getting in the horror community. It's far from the worst I've seen, but it's easily the year's biggest disappointment.
I couldn't agree more with you.
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

I thought it was surprisingly good. The plot was quite original, just like Absentia was...albeit perhaps a little "kiddish" in its overall believability. With that said, I didn't have a problem suspending my disbelief while watching it. I thought the film worked more from the atmosphere, and what you don't see than what you do.

Absentia was a film that I thought was "okay" on the first viewing...but which oddly never left my mind after the credits rolled. When I watched it again many months later, I loved it. I really liked Oculus right away though, and I'll have to see how it holds up to repeat viewings.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #10
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Saw it in the theaters. I liked it enough for a single viewing, but I will not be picking it up any home video version unless I find it used under $5.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
soxfan666
Maniac

This was just added to Netflix streaming.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Finally caught this on Netflix and I was really impressed by the time it was over. The first act is a bit boring and I had a hard time getting into it. But once Karen Gillan's character starts making her tape and presenting the evidence/backstory, it really kicked up a few notches.

The acting is passable overall. No great standouts in performance, but everyone is serviceable at worst. I didn't find Gillan's character to be "icy" as others have described. I just saw her as focused and determined and I actually really liked her character a lot once the above mentioned turning point kicked in. To me, she was a strong and intelligent character and I liked her all the more for that.

What really stood out was how clever and efficient the script was. The "trippiness" was always on the edge of confusing but never to the point where I felt lost and never to the point where it felt like they were just trying to be weird or clever for the sake of it. It always felt like it was in the service of the either the story, the mood, or both. And I think that is a very difficult balance to strike.

And, as an appreciator of the low-budget film, I also really respected how lean this film was in terms of production. This really was some very creative and smart writing. For more than 3/4 of the film you've got 6 actors and one location. They wisely kept the effects to a minimum and solely focused on the tension and the atmosphere.

If there is anything that I would fault the film for, it would be the opening act. First off, the characters really weren't that engaging at first. And this really has a J-horror feel to it that made me think that it was going to be a fairly predictable slog. Perhaps that worked for the best overall as it made the rest of the film feel like quite a pleasant surprise. But, I will say that there were several moments before the aforementioned turning point where I felt like shutting it off. But, after that point, I was entranced and impressed.

I would probably also say that the film isn't really all that scary. But, that's not to be taken as a criticism. It's really more about the expectations. This is not a "scream fest" the way something like "The Conjuring" was supposed to be. It is however very tense and clever and trippy. It's a very well crafted and polished low-budget film that has one hell of a solid and clever script.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote