Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
othervoice1
HackMaster

Late Phases: Night of the Lone Wolf

Surprised I have never heard of this one. Anyone seen this that can comment on it?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1754...elonewolf.html
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
russweiss
HackMaster

It's only $9.99 on Amazon so I'm going for a blind buy.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I watched it a few weeks ago on VOD. A good werewolf flick set in an old folk's home. My friends and I referred to it as a blind Charles Bronson fighting werewolves. If that sounds up your alley, I think you'll dig it. It's full of practical makeup effects and good genre actors including Lance Guest and Tom Noonan. It played in film festivals as Late Phases, can't say I'm a fan of the new subtitle.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
I watched it a few weeks ago on VOD. A good werewolf flick set in an old folk's home. My friends and I referred to it as a blind Charles Bronson fighting werewolves. If that sounds up your alley, I think you'll dig it. It's full of practical makeup effects and good genre actors including Lance Guest and Tom Noonan. It played in film festivals as Late Phases, can't say I'm a fan of the new subtitle.
Sounds like a werewolf Bubba Ho-Tep!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #5
cjg
HackMaster

The director of this has made some pretty good films
Rooms For Tourists
36 Pasos
Cold Sweat
Here Comes The Devil
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I didn't mind this one. The biggest issue was the practical effects looking pretty cheap from time to time but other than that I thought it was a solid effort.
I find it funny that the new subtitle is "Night of the Lone Wolf" yet there are many wolves in the film. Pretty dumb
Old 03-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #7
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm really not sure how I felt about this one. There's a lot to like about it, definitely some really great stuff in it. But the pacing was so sluggish. The entire movie is pretty much biding time, building up to this big confrontation, but when it finally gets there it's just so quick and anti-climatic. It would have made a terrific short, but as is it's a problematic feature.

I did think the effects were really neat. I also found it refreshing to see a horror movie set in a retirement home instead of the typical "pretty young people in peril" brand-of-horror (although I do love my dumb "pretty young people in peril" movies).

I think one of the strongest things about the movie is the cast. There are all kinds of recognizable faces throughout, including Rutanya Alda, Lance Guest, Tina Louise, Caitlin O'Heaney, Tom Noonan, Dana Ashbrook, etc. But the movie never felt like "hey, look at all these genre cameos", throwing all these actors in the mix for no reason just because they're recognizable to horror fans, a trend that's all too common in indie horror these days. And I really liked that they didn't go with any of the typical choices (Bill Mosley, Tony Todd, Eric Roberts, etc). It wasn't just "stick a genre actor in a random role", all of the actors involved felt like a perfect fit for their characters.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Jesus Hookie you're a bucket full of hate lately. Still my homie though.

I absolutely loved it and had no issue with the pacing. The effects were to notch IMO and the lead actor was fantastic.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
dchorror1
Screamy Bopper

If one looks at the horror genre as a whole its imo pretty easy to see that Werewolf films are the hardest to get right. Out of the 1000's that probably exist (werewolf films) at this point someone would be hard pressed to name fifty great ones. That being said it's even harder to make that list from films existing over the past 15 years. However I for one would have to include this amazing little gem that as stated above gives off the perfect blend of Bronson in Death Wish mixed with Silver Bullet/Bad Moon. A must see for Werewolf film fans of all ages.
dchorror1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
dchorror1
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
I didn't mind this one. The biggest issue was the practical effects looking pretty cheap from time to time but other than that I thought it was a solid effort.
I find it funny that the new subtitle is "Night of the Lone Wolf" yet there are many wolves in the film. Pretty dumb
I was under the impression that the Lone Wolf subtitle was referring to the main antagonist vigilante solo style. A play on the subject matter and not so much a literal count of the wolves.
dchorror1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 AM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchorror1 View Post
I was under the impression that the Lone Wolf subtitle was referring to the main antagonist vigilante solo style. A play on the subject matter and not so much a literal count of the wolves.
I did think about that whilst typing my post but I still find the subtitle stupid and unneeded.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
russweiss
HackMaster

Well I watched my blu today and wasn't impressed. The blind protagonist angle just didn't work. I did find it funny when he did the Rambo impersonation (doing sit-ups and swinging his shovel around). The scariest thing in the film was poor Tina Louise. She has not aged well. Looks like she got some bad work done too. I liked seeing Tom Noonan. Unfortunately I can't recommend this film unless you're a werewolf completist. Also the Night of the Lone Wolf moniker never appears on the film while the title Late Phases appears at both the beginning and end credits. Here is a slight spoiler so don't read any further if you don't want a small plot detail given away. I really found it annoying that the old blind guy fought three different werewolves in hand to hand combat and defeated them all. When he flipped the one over his head I actually laughed out loud.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
russweiss
HackMaster

This is available on Netflix streaming now.