Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #226
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

People won't realize the damage Amazon is doing until it's too late. I only put up with them when they sell stuff for major discounts around the holidays. I was waiting for that Friday the 13th set but that didn't happen. I did get a few gifts from them and their lack of care in packaging has reached a new low. They just toss items in a box and put some plastic air cushions on top and hope for the best or customers accepting slight damage for low prices. When I didn't know how to ship properly I still shipped better than Amazon. A company that is in the business of shipping products to people.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #227
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO - Amazon.com said it may raise the annual price of its popular Prime subscription by as much as $40 as the world's largest Internet retailer battles higher shipping costs.

During a conference call with analysts on Thursday, following disappointing quarterly results, Amazon said it may increase the cost of Prime in the U.S. by $20 to $40.

The service, which includes free two-day shipping on most products from Amazon.com, currently costs $79 a year in the U.S.

Amazon has become the dominant online retailer by focusing on getting products delivered to customers quickly and cheaply. However, as fuel prices have climbed, the company has struggled to keep a lid on the cost of making those deliveries.

Amazon said on Thursday that its net shipping costs jumped 19% to $1.21 billion in the fourth quarter. That was 4.7% of net sales, up from 4.5% a year earlier. Expenses like this contribute to the company's wafer-thin profit margins, which have been a concern on Wall Street for years.

"They can't keep losing so much. This is their profit margin," said Colin Gillis, an analyst at BGC Partners. "Drones aside, they have to find a way to get the package from the warehouse to the user in a timely way but also in a cost-effective way."

Amazon may lose some Prime subscribers, especially if the annual cost goes above $100. However, Gillis and other analysts expect the impact to be limited.

"Where are these customers going to go? I want some competition because they've got me hooked on Prime. Hello Walmart or Alibaba, somebody else please step up," Gillis said

"They will use some Prime members, but most people will probably take it," he added.

"Pricing power!" Colin Sebastian, an analyst at RW Baird, wrote in an email to USA TODAY when asked why Amazon would make such a move. He expects few Amazon customers to cancel their Prime subscriptions.

"Why would they cancel?" he added. "Keep in mind that a lot of Prime paying members allow family members to use the service as well."

That may reduce the impact of a price increase, because the benefits of the subscription are spread among more customers.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...price/5063693/
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #228
buck135
The Duke of New York

I don't have Prime. Right now I have a few open orders which, to save money, I've added multiple titles to get free shipping. Naturally each order has one blu-ray that won't be released for several months so I have to wait. Not long ago, they'd just ship the items that were currently available. On the one hand, I hate having to wait, but being locked in at the lowest price is a bigger advantage. By the time they ship I will end up saving money.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #229
Franco
Weekender

The Godfather Collection (all three movies + documentaries) in Blu-ray (4 discs) at $16.99 today. Don't forget if you don't have this classic in HD yet!

http://www.amazon.com/Godfather-Coll...her+collection
Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #230
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I don't have Prime. Right now I have a few open orders which, to save money, I've added multiple titles to get free shipping. Naturally each order has one blu-ray that won't be released for several months so I have to wait. Not long ago, they'd just ship the items that were currently available. On the one hand, I hate having to wait, but being locked in at the lowest price is a bigger advantage. By the time they ship I will end up saving money.
They still ship them when they're available, at least the most recent few orders I've placed have. Maybe it's a Canada thing? I dunno. I was annoyed that my most recent order was only $23.95, so I added a pre-order to my list, which wasn't being released for a few months. Got my free shipping. Amazon shipped the three discs that I wanted, while the pre-order remained pending. Then I cancelled the pre-order. Easy.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #231
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
They still ship them when they're available, at least the most recent few orders I've placed have. Maybe it's a Canada thing? I dunno. I was annoyed that my most recent order was only $23.95, so I added a pre-order to my list, which wasn't being released for a few months. Got my free shipping. Amazon shipped the three discs that I wanted, while the pre-order remained pending. Then I cancelled the pre-order. Easy.
It varies order to order. Sometimes they set them up to ship separately, sometimes they lump them together and make you wait. Sometimes they'll hold the available item until items from another order are ready to ship and then lump it in with that shipment. I just had a package come in yesterday that had items from three separate orders.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #232
Matt89
HackMaster

Well I ordered Robocop from amazon.com and it shipped on the 20th, had a delivery date of the 30th, it is now the 31st and still hasn't arrived. At $8.99 shipping you'd expect that fucking shit to arrive ON TIME. What the hell is it with stuff that ships from the states??? Shipping sucks balls from the U.S. and I don't know why. It's twice as expensive as the UK and they're twice as slow! I ordered something from amazon UK and that package shipped on January 20th as well and I got it on the 27th. That was from EUROPE! My roommate ordered a record from Indiana that took 8 weeks to arrive!

Im definitely calling amazon today and bitching. I always seem to get something out of it. I'm gonna tell them Robocop was a gift and now it's late so I want my shipping refunded. I'm not paying out the ass in shipping for it not to arrive on time. Did the same thing with Barnes and noble for a criterion that took 2 months to arrive. It's ridiculous. I rarely order from the states for exactly these reasons.

~Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #233
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Another case of paying more for less. The US Postal Service is getting less reliable by the minute, mostly because it is staffed by people who are approaching retirement age. I'm not kidding - I have direct contact with carriers through my job and I have yet to meet a mailman/lady younger than 40. The older they are the slower they work. These guys take their sweet time. I'm never giving up my Prime membership but Amazon will have to find creative ways to get stuff to people more reliably - with a GUARANTEED delivery. Otherwise they WILL lose more than a few customers.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #234
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

If they actually go through with that price hike, I will definitely be one of the people who drops it. Two-day shipping is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's barely worth the price they already charge.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #235
Matt89
HackMaster

Yeah well she refunded my money so if it arrives now I guess I got a free blu-ray. This is $10 at HMV currently so I might just grab it there and if it arrives in the mail I'll just keep my receipt and return it to HMV.

~Matt
Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #236
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Too many pages to scroll back, though this might be the first complaint. File this under Amazon UK sucks.

To date, I've had nothing but good service from Amazon UK. What the fuck is up with their prices lately though? Currently I have 24 items in my wish list. About one third of these are Arrow titles. The rest are all different studios. With the exception of like one title all the rest have been at absurdly high prices since last month. Some of the others in my list like Studio Canal Hammer Horror titles have nearly doubled in price.

I don't foresee making any Amazon UK purchases in the near future.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #237
cjg
Maniac

Got my latest credit card bill and my Prime membership stayed at $79.99. Must have got Grandfathered in.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #238
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by satans-sadists View Post
Too many pages to scroll back, though this might be the first complaint. File this under Amazon UK sucks.

To date, I've had nothing but good service from Amazon UK. What the fuck is up with their prices lately though? Currently I have 24 items in my wish list. About one third of these are Arrow titles. The rest are all different studios. With the exception of like one title all the rest have been at absurdly high prices since last month. Some of the others in my list like Studio Canal Hammer Horror titles have nearly doubled in price.

I don't foresee making any Amazon UK purchases in the near future.
I've noticed that too with my wish list there. The prices on most thing seems to have inflated. Don't know what's happening over there but I haven't made a purchase since it's happened.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #239
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

So Amazon raises their prices yet wonders why sales have gone down. Genius.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #240
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
Got my latest credit card bill and my Prime membership stayed at $79.99. Must have got Grandfathered in.
The price increase doesn't start until 2015... or at least they sent out an email a couple of months back that said that.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote