Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
SpaceAce
Maniac

Halloween triple feature blu

Just curious...I was just in best buy and got the Halloween triple feature of The Curse of Michael Myers, H2O, and Resurrection for $7.99 on Blu. I didn't have any of these on Blu and although I am not a huge fan of these movies I picked it up since it was a good price. I was then checking some specs online (it seems like these are not real high quality blus, but for the price I don't care) I saw that it had a November 6th release date on it. I went to the Best Buy website and it was not listed anywhere on their website that I could find. I used to see them put out some obscure titles before their street date but I have not seen Best Buy do that around here for a long time. I was wondering what the deal was, especially since amazon has it listed for $22.49. ANybody else see this?
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I saw that deal when I was at BestBuy as well getting the Elm Street Collection. I came very close to grabbing it, but recalled reading some very negative reviews. I checked it out on my BlackBerry while I was in the store and all I could find was more negative posts about it. For $7.99 it seems like a no-brainer, but already having the DVD's I wasn't sure it was worth it. I think one of the biggest complaints was the cropping/framing. I assume it's just the same transfers as the single Echo Bridge releases which have gotten terrible reviews. "Quite a bit of blocking, poor color gradations, and banding are ever-present. " Blocking? on a Blu? No thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
fceurich39
HackMaster

i believe halloween resurrection is now cropped with this release as well
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Indeed it is! You're better off getting the single disc Echo Bridge releases of 6 and Resurrection especially since the latter has extras and the Canadian Triple Pack just to get H20 in its OAR.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
i believe halloween resurrection is now cropped with this release as well
It's either cropped on the sides or opened up on the top and bottom. Either way, it's not in it's proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The Canadian Alliance release has all three films in their appropriate aspect ratios, but Curse and H20 are interlaced, which makes it the best North American release, but still flawed. Supposedly, the French Studio Canal releases are the best editions available, but Curse has forced French subtitles subtitles while H20 and Resurrection are Region B locked.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
buck135
The Duke of New York

Thanks for the heads up Spaceace. I just went to my Best Buy to pick it up. I know they are inferior to the Alliance triple-pack, but $7.99 is a decent price for three average films.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Do we think these have been compressed even more to fit three films on 1 Blu?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
Do we think these have been compressed even more to fit three films on 1 Blu?
I'm willing to bet that all three are squeezed on a 25gb disc. I haven't gotten a chance to open it yet.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Zillamon51
Maniac

EB's single-disc edition of Resurrection has a good deal of extras that I bet are not carried over to the 3-film set (especially if it's 3 movies on 1 disc).
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Gore Lunatic
Violenza Carnale

I purchased this set at BB as well. These are the three films in the series that I rarely watch but since I don't have these films on Blu and for the asking price, I thought I'd just get it to have in my collection. It's been years since I've watched these films so I hope I get a chance to squeeze these in this month.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Lunatic View Post
I purchased this set at BB as well. These are the three films in the series that I rarely watch but since I don't have these films on Blu and for the asking price, I thought I'd just get it to have in my collection. It's been years since I've watched these films so I hope I get a chance to squeeze these in this month.
+1. I popped the disc in last night. It's a shame that the films aren't in their OAR because aside from the white/black spots, the transfers are quite decent. The colors and the contrast are good. Unfortunately, there are no extras. I'll have to hold on to the DVD's.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
HoldenMcNeil
Stalker

Just a heads up the superior Alliance triple feature blu-ray is getting pretty limited on amazon. I picked a copy up for 24$, and it looks like the last couple they have go up in price.

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

37!!!

You Mean the Movie Lied!?
HoldenMcNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
Christy
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMcNeil View Post
Just a heads up the superior Alliance triple feature blu-ray is getting pretty limited on amazon. I picked a copy up for 24$, and it looks like the last couple they have go up in price.
Yeah I have the alliance disc myself that's the way to go. Easily one of my favorite triple feature blu-rays. I highly suggest you all pick that version up before it's gone!
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote