View Poll Results: Poll #2 Horror of Not? - Jaws
Yes 49 80.33%
No 12 19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
spawningblue
Deadite

Horror or Not? #3 - Jaws

Another film that has had lots of controversy.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
betterdan

It's action horror.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
onebyone

This is a tough one. I don't think it is anywhere near a horror movie.... but I am not sure exactly how to qualify it. It's Jaws and it kicks ass. That's all I got.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Erick H.
HackMaster

I think it qualifies as a variation of a "monster movie".It has a murderous creature and it works off of the fear of the unknown (and often unseen).You fear what is below the surface in much the same way as what is hidden in the dark.Also ,the film is punctuated by shock sequences and the spectacle of violent death.It intends to scare you,it does.I'd say that makes it horror.Others are free to disagree.

Last edited by Erick H.; 09-22-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
life_o_petey

i had no idea this was even debatable.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
dwatts
HackMaster

No - not a horror. An action/thriller.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Workshed
October!

If fucking April Fool's Day is Horror, then Jaws is Horror.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Ash28M
HackMaster

The first half there are some horrific mysterious deaths by an unseen killer. The second half is an adventure monster movie.

Therefore It's a Horror/Adventure/Giallo
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
If fucking April Fool's Day is Horror, then Jaws is Horror.
Your logic is infallible.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
speanroc
I WANNA BAN

weeeeeeeelllllllllllllll, think of this ...if u were being persued by a 25 foot great white shark thats has been eating the locals would that be HORROR , i think so....
speanroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by life_o_petey View Post
i had no idea this was even debatable.
Exactly, Its 100% a horror movie.

P.S.- Where were all you guys that voted Jaws a "horror movie" during the "the perfect horror film" thread? Which by the way was being shot down as a candidate by a couple of people.

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...hlight=perfect
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
Matt89
HackMaster

There is no debate. Jaws is, was and always shall be a horror film. Maybe it's not as scary now as it was back in 1975, but it is still a horror movie. Take a look at the theatrical trailer and original advertising materials...the film was advertised as a horror film. The poster, with the girl swimming and the shark with the jagged sharp teeth swimming beneath her...straight out of a horror movie. The theatrical trailer with the narrator, "There is a creature alive today...it will attack and devour, ANYTHING...it is as if God, created the devil, and gave him JAWS." That's horror movie advertising. Watch the opening scene. There's this ominous lurking presence that we do not see, and only get their point of view. A girl is attacked, screaming...this is all horror movie material. And the number one thing, the fucking musical score! The score to Jaws is horror movie music. Let's see you put that kindof music into an action/adventure movie. The theme to Jaws is looked at as one of the all-time creepiest scores to a film. And one of the most famous scores as well...bottom line, JAWS IS A HORROR FILM.

Not only that, Jaws is almost always in the horror section of video stores anyways. Why? Because it's a horror film.

Another popular debate is that Alien is not a horror and is merely a sci-fi movie...I don't believe that to be the case either, as the original tagline to Alien was "In space, no one can hear you scream." That's a tagline to a horror film. ALIENS is a sci-fi...ALIEN is a horror.

Well anyway, I'm done my rant. Just wanted to add my two cents there.

~Matt
Old 09-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Matt89
HackMaster

Oh and another thing...the Jaws DVD is reviewed on this site. What's the site called? HORRORdvds.com...why would they choose to review a movie like Jaws on here? Because it's horror.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
There is no debate. Jaws is, was and always shall be a horror film. Maybe it's not as scary now as it was back in 1975, but it is still a horror movie. Take a look at the theatrical trailer and original advertising materials...the film was advertised as a horror film. The poster, with the girl swimming and the shark with the jagged sharp teeth swimming beneath her...straight out of a horror movie. The theatrical trailer with the narrator, "There is a creature alive today...it will attack and devour, ANYTHING...it is as if God, created the devil, and gave him JAWS." That's horror movie advertising. Watch the opening scene. There's this ominous lurking presence that we do not see, and only get their point of view. A girl is attacked, screaming...this is all horror movie material. And the number one thing, the fucking musical score! The score to Jaws is horror movie music. Let's see you put that kindof music into an action/adventure movie. The theme to Jaws is looked at as one of the all-time creepiest scores to a film. And one of the most famous scores as well...bottom line, JAWS IS A HORROR FILM.

Not only that, Jaws is almost always in the horror section of video stores anyways. Why? Because it's a horror film.

~Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Oh and another thing...the Jaws DVD is reviewed on this site. What's the site called? HORRORdvds.com...why would they choose to review a movie like Jaws on here? Because it's horror.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

True horror and one of the all-time classics! Enough said.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote