Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Poll #2 Horror of Not? - Jaws
Yes 49 80.33%
No 12 19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #16
Peter Vincent

For the longest, I never thought as Jaws as a horror movie...its just so...Spielburgian/Universal! Can Jurassic Park be considered a horror movie? I mean, in JP man-made Dinos come to life and start EATING the guests on a very dark wet night! I don't consider it horror!

But if by definition of horror, there's a bit of gore and scares..then yes.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Jaws is one of my favourite films. It has horror elements therefore it comes under the horror umberella.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Vincent View Post
For the longest, I never thought as Jaws as a horror movie...its just so...Spielburgian/Universal!

It is? I would figure that came down the road with his other films.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #19
dwatts
HackMaster

Perhaps a more useful thread would have been "What is the definition of Horror"? If any film that has a horrific scene is a horror film, then I think it's too broad a brush. Same with jump scares.

I just don't think Spielberg set out to make a horror film with this one. It was a action/thriller that was originally marketed as such (yes, sadly I did see this on its original theatrical release... sadly because of hiow long ago it was...) It provided some scares, some thrills. As I recall, even in those days when certification was harsher, it got a 15 in the UK.

Still, I realize I'm one of the few. If this is a hroror film then most thrillers are, imo. I have no issue with that if that's the broad definition we're going with. Jaws is a good fun film.

Last edited by dwatts; 09-22-2006 at 08:44 PM.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #20
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatts View Post
Perhaps a more useful thread would have been "What is the definition of Horror"? If any film that has a horrific scene is a horror film, then I think it's too broad a brush. Same with jump scares.

I just don't think Spielberg set out to make a horror film with this one. It was a action/thriller that was originally marketed as such (yes, sadly I did see this on its original theatrical release... sadly because of hiow long ago it was...) It provided some scares, some thrills. As I recall, even in those days when certification was harsher, it got a 15 in the UK.

Still, I realize I'm one of the few. If this is a hroror film then most thrillers are, imo. I have no issue with that if that's the broad definition we're going with. Jaws is a good fun film.
But don't you think this one differs from most thrillers in that it has an actual creature as its villain?

Can you give an example of a thriller that you think constitutes a Horror film if Jaws is one?
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #21
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Exactly, Its 100% a horror movie.

P.S.- Where were all you guys that voted Jaws a "horror movie" during the "the perfect horror film" thread? Which by the way was being shot down as a candidate by a couple of people.

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...hlight=perfect
haha that is one of the reasons I thought these polls could be useful. Next time someones choice is plowed down in a thread, we could always call up these and see that mose people on this thread believe it is a horror film, and should thus be counted. I know that this poll isn't proof of anything, but still!

And as for Jaws, I always thought Speilberg set out to make a high class horror film, something that would scare people of the water, like Psycho scared people of getting in the shower.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #22
dwatts
HackMaster

--But don't you think this one differs from most thrillers in that it has an actual creature as its villain?--

Well, sure. Not all thrillers have sharks in them, for sure. For me though, the presence of a shark doesn't make it horror. There are horrific elements to the film, and S[peilberg uses some horror techniques in some scenes, for sure. I just don't feel he set out to make a horror film, or that he made one. I think, essentially, this was a action/thriller with some horror elements.

--Can you give an example of a thriller that you think constitutes a Horror film if Jaws is one?--

This is part of the problem. We don't have a definition of "horror" to work from - so we're looking at cross-overs and, in my never to be humble view, blurring the lines so much that most thrillers probably would be called horror films. I mean, they have horror elements. But does that mean they deserve the label of "horror film"? Not for me. I think as soon as someone says "it's a action/horror" then it's sufficiently diluted to remain "action horror" rather than deserving of being a simply "Horror" - which is the title of these polls.

Take "When the Wind Blows". A brilliant, and truly horrific little film. But to me, it's not a horror film, it's a powerful drama (slowly dying after a nuclear attack is pretty horrific if you ask me).

I don't know, I'm an old git. Without definitions to work from it's simply a debate that can have no conclusion. Like the Hall of Fame thing - utterly pointless, just a list of films people like. No rules, no guidelines, no boundaries. List it, it's in. While that might be fun to do, it certainly carries
no weight or relevance other than a pastime. Same here.

The trouble is, if I had to write a definition of horror I'd struggle. I think Mutleyhyde has a thread called "What is a classic" or some such thing in the classics forum. I don't think that ever concluded either. It's not easy to do!
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #23
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Why don't we just call up Spielberg and ask him what his intentions were when he made this film?

Jaws is horror. At least to me it is. It still scares the bejeezus outta me everytime I watch it. There's never been a scarier movie monster.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #24
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Not to mention it is always brought up in best Horror movies ever list on TV and Magazines. Most people think of it as a horror film.

Everything about it was design to scare the crap out of you.

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #25
Criswell
HackMaster

Gee. Tough one.

No

It does have the slasher structure, but its still not.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #26
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
Gee. Tough one.

No

It does have the slasher structure, but its still not.
Then wouldn't that make it horror? Jaws is a horror film, plain and simple.

There is no opinion here, or "well I think..." No. JAWS is a horror movie. It was advertised as one, and still is. Are we gonna say now that Halloween is no longer a horror film because it's not that scary anymore? No. If it was ONCE meant to be a horror film, it will always remain that way, no matter how scary it is 30 years down the road.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0073195/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jaws/

http://www.terrortrap.com/creaturefe...ws/index.shtml

People should take a look at those sites...Jaws is under which category?

~Matt
Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #27
Fumi
Stalker

Yes. It might be action/horror/drama or horror/action/drama or drama/action/horror, but it's still horror. That's the appeal of films like that, different people like different things, and a lot of people can find something to like in that movie. Your typical guy might like the action, his wife might like the drama, and the kids will find it really scary.
Fumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #28
Matt89
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumi View Post
Yes. It might be action/horror/drama or horror/action/drama or drama/action/horror, but it's still horror. That's the appeal of films like that, different people like different things, and a lot of people can find something to like in that movie. Your typical guy might like the action, his wife might like the drama, and the kids will find it really scary.
Exactly.

~Matt
Old 09-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #29
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Oh and another thing...the Jaws DVD is reviewed on this site. What's the site called? HORRORdvds.com...why would they choose to review a movie like Jaws on here? Because it's horror.
Hmm so I guess The Losers (a motorcycle action flick) is now considered horror by your logic since it was reviewed on this very site? http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.ph...article&id=363
Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #30
Matt89
HackMaster

No, because I wasn't talking about The Losers, I was talking about Jaws. I was making a point.

~Matt