Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
zompirejoe
Maniac

The Strain on FX

I couldn't find a thread on this one ,so ....... Did anyone catch this last night ? It's based on the series of books by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I thought it was great and this makes the rest of the series seem really promising. I haven't read the books yet, but this has really made me interested. Any fans of the books and or series on here ?
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster

It's good so far, but watching it with ads breaks up the tension too much. It'll play a lot better when it makes it to DVD/Netflix. It's a terrific adaptation and will only get better when the shit hits the fan (and the shit DOES hit the fan).

Last edited by maybrick; 07-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
zompirejoe
Maniac

Yes, like many other shows I cannot stand the commercial breaks. Good to hear it is a good adaptation.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
cjg
Maniac

DVR well worth the money.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Yeah, I DVRed it. I have the book and never read it, so planning on plowing through that really quickly before I started the show.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Paff

I'm gonna wait to see how this one shakes out, and maybe Netflix it later. Too many times I get started on these "buzz" shows that start out great and go out on a whimper (recent examples: The Following, Sleepy Hollow, Penny Dreadful, True Detective). I've just started Orange is the New Black, and Orphan Black is next on my list. Masters of Sex is back on Showtime, and 24 ends tonight. So I'm just gonna focus on those three shows the rest of the summer.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
maybrick
HackMaster

I wouldn't worry about The Strain going out with a whimper. I read the books so I know where it's all leading and there's no fizzling out. It's basically a remake of Salem's Lot (which was in turn a remake of Dracula) but on a far more massive scale and with an emphasis on scientific rather than supernatural origin of vampirism..

Last edited by maybrick; 07-14-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Workshed
October!

I could only make it through the first novel, but the ads for the show have me interested. Gonna watch on DVR this week.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Too many times I get started on these "buzz" shows that start out great and go out on a whimper (recent examples: The Following, Sleepy Hollow, Penny Dreadful, True Detective)I've just started Orange is the New Black... .
You really felt that way. Maybe, maybe a little Penny Dreadful, but True Detective was fantastic start to finish imo.

And on Orange is the New Black, I'll say this. It's the one of rare series that is good despite the awful lead character. By the second season, you'll be saying, "why is she even in this show?" Because everyone else in the jail is more interesting then Piper. You don't root for her, & she's just not important anymore to the series even though the whole show is based on her story. In the second season there's one episode where she's not even in it. And when she comes back, you're like ugh, her again?

My gut tells me that when they were presented the idea of a series, the initial reaction was a movie, but gave it a shot anyway. Well after a few episodes they ran out of the "real story" & started making stuff up for the other prisoners to tell their stories to fill the series out. Bottom line it's an entertaining show, but Piper is the worst part. Plus she makes more weird faces than Jim Carrey on crack.

Last edited by baggio; 07-14-2014 at 08:35 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Paff

Well, everything is subjective, of course. I'm just trying to keep a limit on the amount of TV series I watch, as it starts to get diluted when you're watching a few dozen concurrently. Plus, it takes away from my movie viewing time.

I'm only 3 eps into Orange, although I've already heard the second season is not as good. Not sure what I'll do when I finish this first one. As for The Strain, I'll wait to see how it pans out based on the internet buzz. Without even getting too in depth into the online conversations and spoilers, you can kinda tell how a show is faring. For example, Game of Thrones (which I've never seen), still gets a lot of attention. Same with Breaking Bad, all the way till the end. You can also see which shows start to lose their hold on viewers. The Following, perfect example. And actually, American Horror Story falls into that category too, although I still enjoy it. So I'm gonna lurk on the sidelines for this one, for a little while longer at least.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #11
Dave
Pimp

Orange is a blast. Fell asleep during Strain but Im gonna check it out.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Orange is a blast. Fell asleep during Strain but Im gonna check it out.
I have admit, I came awfully close to nodding off as well, but I'm positive that it had more to do with the lateness of the hour. I spent all day thinking that it was going to begin at 9 like The Walking Dead does, only to find out shortly before that it wouldn't start until 10. And then only learning that it was a 90 minute show when 11 came along. It was rough. Without out a doubt I would have gotten into it more if I could have watched it earlier and cut out the ads to speed it up.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #13
othervoice1
HackMaster

I Dvr'd it - probably wait till a few episodes in then start watching it - sounds very promising
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #14
Dave
Pimp

Yeah the show seemed good but 10 was way past my bedtime. I'm on vaca so figured I'd go for it. Didn't work.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Very underwhelmed by the start. Characters are rather dull. The conspiracy angle is cliche. And the visuals are uninspired. And overall I just didn't find it very engrossing.

The cast is nicely picked and have a good amount of charisma that does a pretty decent job of nearly overcoming how blandly the characters are written. But, it's going to need to pull some pretty impressive turns in the next episode or two in order to keep my attention.

The big sadness for me is that I really like Del Toro and always find myself rooting for him to succeed. But this one just feels like third-tier Stephen King at best.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote