Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Exclamation Lionsgate to distribute Miramax titles on Blu!

Good news to those who want new editions of the Scream movies!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5874

"Lionsgate, Studiocanal and Miramax announced today that they have entered into a worldwide home entertainment distribution deal. Under the long-term deal, Lionsgate and Studiocanal will distribute more than 550 titles from the Miramax film library on Blu-ray. The studio will soon release the Scream trilogy, and Pulp Fiction will finally get its Blu-ray release in June.

Lionsgate will partner with international distributor Studiocanal to distribute Miramax titles in the UK and Europe.

The first home entertainment release under the deal will be The Switch in the US, the romantic comedy about friendship, fertility and family, starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman, which will be released on Blu-ray on March 15.

While commenting on the distribution agreement just announced between Miramax, Lionsgate and Studiocanal, Miramax CEO Mike Lang revealed that upcoming titles include all three films in the Scream franchise, tying in with the theatrical release of Scream 4 (due out April 15). Pulp Fiction, in turn, will come out in June.

Lang noted that, while he is aware that "the packaged DVD media market is maturing and consumers are beginning to look for digital alternatives," he also believes that "we're seeing renewed interest in Blu-ray and this will be especially true for Miramax given the fact that many of our titles have never been released on the format."

The announcement was made by Steve Beeks, President and Co-Chief Operating Officer of Lionsgate, Olivier Courson, Chief Executive Officer of Studiocanal and Mike Lang, Chief Executive Officer of Miramax.

"The Miramax library will be one of the most treasured jewels in our home entertainment crown," said Beeks. "With our longstanding commitment and expertise in aggressively managing library titles, we are thrilled to bring together under one roof such Miramax film icons as Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, Pulp Fiction and Good Will Hunting with our existing classics such as Dirty Dancing and Monster's Ball to create what is unquestionably one of the most powerful and prestigious filmed entertainment libraries in the world. We are looking forward to working with Mike and his incredible team on this exciting venture."

"We are pleased to expand our existing partnership with Lionsgate to encompass this exciting new venture with Miramax," said Courson. "The Miramax library features some of the best of American independent cinema, representing a wonderful mix of creative excellence, award winning films and commercial successes. The Miramax slate is a perfect fit for Studiocanal's core values and vision and we believe it will resonate with European audiences."

"With their expertise and success in the home entertainment marketplace, we consider both Lionsgate and Studiocanal to be the perfect partners to distribute these films," says Lang. "We are thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with them as we work to expand the availability of our library across all platforms to reach new audiences around the world.""
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Sweetness. At least Lions Gate usually delivers, although dnr has been running wild over there on some titles...

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
tropical marsh
Stalker

Ugh...anybody but Lionsgate. If they mess up Scream, From Dusk till Dawn, or The Faculty on BD--I'll burn all my Lionsgate titles in a bright, blazing effigy.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Does Miramax include Buena Vista / Touchstone?

I'd love to see blu-rays (or even anamorphic DVDs) of Adventures In Babysitting, Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Arachnophobia, Encino Man, Can't Buy Me Love, etc.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Does Miramax include Buena Vista / Touchstone?
No it does not.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Adventures In Babysitting
I'd love to see that also , especially since the old DVD was non-anamorphic. But alas, Disney doesn't seem to love their older Touchstone titles too much.

I really wish it was any studio besides Lionsgate that the Miramax were going to though. Their Blu-ray release record in the past has been spotty to the extreme.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I'd love to see that also , especially since the old DVD was non-anamorphic. But alas, Disney doesn't seem to love their older Touchstone titles too much.

I really wish it was any studio besides Lionsgate that the Miramax were going to though. Their Blu-ray release record in the past has been spotty to the extreme.
You aren't kidding. I have a list of titles that need to be re-released as Widescreen enhanced from Buena Vista:

54 (1998)
Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Arachnophobia (1990)
The Faculty (1998)
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
Mimic (1997)
Nothing to Lose (1997)
Phantoms (1998)
Ruthless People (1986)
Scream (1996)
Senseless (1998)
Six Days Seven Nights (1998)
Spy Hard (1996)
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)
What About Bob? (1991)

By the way, I'm not sure which of these titles are involved with this deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

There is a lot of exciting stuff in the Miramax catalog, including the Scream movies and Pulp Fiction.

That being said, and everyone is free to flame me for this, I'm really hoping this leads to a Blu-ray of She's All That. I know, I know, but the first time I ever went on a date with a girl we went and saw that movie, so it's always held a special place in my heart.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I'm really hoping this leads to a Blu-ray of She's All That.
Guilty pleasure of mine. I actually wouldn't mind a Blu-ray of that either

As for Lionsgate distributing Miramax titles, it could be worse. Imagine "Timeless Media Group to distribute Miramax titles on Blu!"
Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I wonder if one of the titles in Miramax catalog is The Thief and The Cobbler. I know it was released by Weinstein Company in 2006 and the rights reverted back to Disney, but just to see the film in it's OAR of 2.35:1 and restored and remastered would make me buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #11
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
That being said, and everyone is free to flame me for this, I'm really hoping this leads to a Blu-ray of She's All That.
It's hard to fault you for it, if for no other reason than Rachel Leigh Cook is hot.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
ekent
The Lord's Arm of Justice

Location: North California, South Alabam, and little towns all around this land
Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and From Dusk Till Dawn are on my must buy list.
ekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
Jason25

I don't know why people are bitching about Lionsgate so much. They'll do a solid job. They fully embrace 7.1 DTS-MA tracks and consistently provide solid transfers. They do all of this at competitive price points unlike many other major studios.
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason25 View Post
I don't know why people are bitching about Lionsgate so much. They'll do a solid job. They fully embrace 7.1 DTS-MA tracks and consistently provide solid transfers. They do all of this at competitive price points unlike many other major studios.
They've gotten better somewhat, but a lot of their old Blu-ray releases had some big problems.

They didn't do a solid transfer on the recent Blu-ray of Bad Boys. It had the most DNR applied that I've seen since Fox screwed with Predator.

I still don't understand why they released The Descent with two different encodes. The older version of The Descent is actually superior to the one they silently re-released later on.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #15
Jason25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
They've gotten better somewhat, but a lot of their old Blu-ray releases had some big problems.

They didn't do a solid transfer on the recent Blu-ray of Bad Boys. It had the most DNR applied that I've seen since Fox screwed with Predator.

I still don't understand why they released The Descent with two different encodes. The older version of The Descent is actually superior to the one they silently re-released later on.
I haven't had a chance to watch my copy of Bad Boys yet, that really sucks though about the transfer.

I still think they do solid work but you're right, they need to do it with each and every title.
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miramax lionsgate