Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #196
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Superbad - funniest movie of the year! My sides still hurt from laughing.

GO SEE IT!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #197
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post

GO SEE IT!
I was about to rant about how great this film was and saw someone beat me to the punch. I have a feeling that most people who watch this will see themselves, even just a little, in any of the characters. Great film, very funny... And I was worried it might be a dud like Talladega Nights. Worth every penny.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #198
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHerbertWest View Post
I was about to rant about how great this film was and saw someone beat me to the punch. I have a feeling that most people who watch this will see themselves, even just a little, in any of the characters. Great film, very funny... And I was worried it might be a dud like Talladega Nights. Worth every penny.

Yup. I know I sure did. My girlfriend kept nudging me during certain parts when a character did something that reminded her of me.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #199
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Haha. There were lots of moments where I was stunned, thinking "I did that" or "That was ME back then!"
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #200
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post

GO SEE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHerbertWest View Post
Totally agreed. I laughed so hard as I watched this over the weekend--and then again as I recounted the film with friends over a few drinks. Michael Cera was fantastic.

edit: Oh yeah, Superbad fans, The AV Club has a 3-page interview with Cera, Jonah Hill, and McLovin here--all about the making of the film and Arrested Development, etc.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 08-23-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #201
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I definitely agree with the posters above, Superbad is excellent. It's my favorite movie I've seen so far this year.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:48 AM   #202
Workshed
October!

Saw Superbad again over the weekend with some friends who hadn't seen it. I enjoyed the McLovin plot more this time. Still very funny the second time around.

I also watched Disc 1 of South Park Season 10. The disc contained the infamous "The Return of Chef" and "Cartoon Wars Part I & II" episodes. The mini-commentaries on the latter two episodes really let loose on The Family Guy. Matt Stone and Trey Parker call it the Justin Timberlake of animated shows, and say that writers from The Simpsons and King of the Hill called them to thank South Park for bashing The Family Guy. Paraphrase: "We hate it from a writing perspective."

I'm not a regular viewer of FG, but it was refreshing to hear two creators speak so candidly. The episodes on this disc weren't really funny ha-ha, however. It was at this early point in the season where the show felt like it was paying more attention to what was being said about them in the news rather than making sure the episodes were old-school SP funny.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #203
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Watched Karate Kids last night (billed as Karate Kids USA on the movie itself and The Little Dragons on IMDB). A little boring but a decent PG-family romp. A family gets stranded on their way to a campsite and a hillbilly family kidnap the daughter for ransom. It's up to two little tykes who are mediocre at karate to rescue her. Not much action and the different ways the hillbillies are taken out are pretty slapstick.

The good news? Directed by Curtis Hanson. Co-written by Alan Ormsby. And it's got Joe Spinell as one of the two bumbling hillbilly idiots.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:30 AM   #204
YottNik
Pay the price!

Watched Beerfest tonight. I don't know, maybe it was just the mood I was in at the time but this movie cracked me up. Hilarious.

"Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves." -- Peart

"They call me Slick."
YottNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #205
Workshed
October!

Let me say that I had no real interest in the Bourne films. I like a good chase scene as much as anybody, but espionage and black ops and blah blah make me sleepy. It always ends up being an inside job with a sacrosanct government branch being rotten to the core. And so it is with the Bourne series, or at least with the first film, which I saw twice and eventually made myself believe that that counted as having seen the second as well.

Bourne Ultimatum? Pass. Or so I thought until my dad called me at work today all psyched about seeing it tonight if I was able to duck out a little early. Ok fine, but only if you buy dinner, Dad. And hey hey, the third Bourne movie is all right. It begins mise en scene, and having not seen the second film (well, not really), it was a bit of a game of catch-up. Thankfully, Dad was on the case.

Me: What, was that his girlfriend?

Dad: Yeah, she's dead now.

Me: Aw. Who's that old lady?

Dad: She's part of the CIA, Bourne pointed a gun at her in the last one.

Me: Ok, how about this girl?

Dad: His girlfriend again. Dead.

And that's pretty much all you need to know because soon Matt Damon is running and jumping and kicking and awesome-punching. This film is one huge chase scene and everything is so damn tense. I don't know if Damon had any extended speaking parts because he was so busy dismantling CIA operatives and then feeling all bad about it--but not for long, because that takes too much time and soon it's Beserker Rage again [Bourne is basically Wolverine, complete with amnesia, government kill-machine training, and unkillability. ].

There were plenty of holes (which I will not blame on having missed the second film), but who cares--Jesus Christ did you just see Bourne beat that guy with a book? And what is the girl from Suburban Girl Dances Urban doing in this? I don't know, run! Run, girl! Bourne doesn't have time for your romance, so move it!

It's taught stuff, and all in the glorious vein of The Government Trained Him to Kill; Now They Want Him Dead. Give it a chance at the dollar theater or if Dad's buying.

Last edited by Workshed; 09-11-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #206
DopeChamberX

Just got home from seeing The Brave One; very good film. Not normally a fan of Jodie Foster, but I really enjoyed this. The audience I was in really got into it and was cheering at the end. I found the film in general to be very crowd pleasing and very sad at the same time. I would highly recommend it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #207
Chunkblower
Stalker

Rhett watched Dreams in the Witch House instead of Scanner Cop, Scanner Cop II or the unrated version of Nightmare 5!?!?!?!

What a sissy.
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #208
Workshed
October!

In thinking about the upcoming Eastern Promises, I realized that I had last seen Rabid six years ago. After The Fly, Rabid was the next Cronenberg film I saw, and the two films sparked my interest in his films. It's his subtlest work, especially the lesbian armpit-rape scene.

I still liked the film, though. Cronenberg showcased a bleak Canada, in dirty winter and brown highway scenery. He also still managed to gross me out, particularly in the skin-grafting scene early on. Ugh. "Can't somebody cover it with a sheet?" Yes, please. I found the progression fo time to be a bit confusing in the earlier attack scenes with Chambers. I thought she'd just woken up and started attacking everyone that night and day, but she tells the doctor that she'd actually been awake for some time. I'm not sure why she'd lie about being awake longer, so I assumed I missed some cue that more time had passed.

I have not yet listened to the commentary--will this week--but has Cronenberg ever addressed the placement of the proboscis? Seems like an awkward spot, although it worked well enough on the eager-to-hug characters in this story.

Also, are any of Chamber's other films around this time worth seeing? edit: just read this thread.

Last edited by Workshed; 09-17-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #209
onebyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeChamberX View Post
Just got home from seeing The Brave One; very good film. Not normally a fan of Jodie Foster, but I really enjoyed this. The audience I was in really got into it and was cheering at the end. I found the film in general to be very crowd pleasing and very sad at the same time. I would highly recommend it.
I really loved this movie too. I agree that it managed to both REALLY please the crowd while keeping a very sad and responsible tone. Great performances throughout the movie really helped it to hit the mark. Can't wait to get the DVD.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:49 AM   #210
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Watched Marie Antoinette for the second time, instead of going to the cinema to see Halloween because it was raining like crazy (gots to take the bus, ya know).

This time, I watched it with some Germans and a French girl. They weren't all too impressed. And they didn't like that there was no
Spoiler:
beheading
in the end. Also felt it was too long and (likely) historically incorrect.

Although I see their points, I can't help but disagree on every level. I think it ends perfectly and who cares about historical accuracy? I'm sure in her own eyes, Marie Antoinette wasn't some evil greedy bitch no matter what certain parties in France think. We all know that woman, but this Antoinette - Sofia Coppola's and Kirsten Dunst's Antoinette - is someone I felt for and liked.

Plus, this film is probably one of the most gorgeously filmed movies of all times. It's really just stunning.

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote