Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 AM   #211
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

I cracked open my Vincent Price Boxed Set a few nights ago. I got through Tales Of Terror & Twice Told Tales which were excellent. I loved the feel of both films. Peter Lorre & Vincent Price played against each other perfectly in the Black Cat segment of Tales. I watched Theater Of Blood last night and about ten minutes in, I was iffy about watching it. Then I decided to give it a try and ended up really enjoying it. Tonight, it's time for some Madhouse. By the way, the only films in this set I've seen previously are the Dr. Phibes films.

Watched some more of my new discs today. From Beyond is just an absolutely amazing film from beginning to end. So much fun for me. Then I did a little 'animal' back-to-back with Food Of The Gods & Alligator. FOTG was alright, not as good as I had hoped. Wasn't a waste of $8 or anything. Alligator was great... Lots of fun and the action was exciting.

Topped this all off with Bloodrayne. Goddamn I love this movie. Michael Madsen kills vamps with a passion.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #212
onebyone

I don't know if anyone here cares about the funny movie Knocked Up, but if you do, I want to be sure you know to get the 2-Disc Collector's Edition. The HD disc is even unworthy, because it doesnt have the 3 HOURS of funny and amazing special features on this one. I swear, some of it was so funny I was crying. This is a top notch dvd release and surely worth the extra few bucks.

I was thisclose to not getting it too, until amazon dropped the price. Thank goodness they did, I would have hated to miss out on this stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #213
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
I don't know if anyone here cares about the funny movie Knocked Up, but if you do, I want to be sure you know to get the 2-Disc Collector's Edition. The HD disc is even unworthy, because it doesnt have the 3 HOURS of funny and amazing special features on this one. I swear, some of it was so funny I was crying. This is a top notch dvd release and surely worth the extra few bucks.

I was thisclose to not getting it too, until amazon dropped the price. Thank goodness they did, I would have hated to miss out on this stuff.
I was on the fence, because I haven't had much luck with "unrated" comedies on DVD (I usually like the pacing better in the theatrical version), but you convinced me. I really liked this film.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #214
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Eastern Promises is the best movie of 2007 so far.

Go see it!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #215
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

I hate getting unrated comedies for the same reason Workshed posted. They cut those scenes for a reason - Why splice them back in? Just put them with the deleted material! Thanks for the heads up onebyone, I'll definitely go for the 2-Disc.

I had a Friedkin double shot (Cruising & Bug). Really enjoyed both films in different ways. Also watched Reeker... Decent indie horror but left me a little befuddled and underwhelmed.

I'm taking on Uwe Boll's Alone In The Dark as we speak. Wooooo!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #216
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

At first I wasn't sure what to make of The Boys From Brazil as the whole concept seemed kind of ridiculous. As it went on I started to enjoy the ride ... and yeah, I'd say it was 'great'. Subtle horror that kinda stuck with me afterwards.

Movie Tracker 2014

Last edited by Hellbilly; 09-28-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #217
Numania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post

At first I wasn't sure what to make of The Boys From Brazil as the whole concept seemed kind of ridiculous. As it went on I started to enjoy the ride ... and yeah, I'd say it was 'great'. Subtle horror that kinda stuck with me afterwards.
Yeah, it does seem kinda silly. They made it work very well, though. It helps when you have two great actors tossing in really good performances.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #218
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Avoid Kickin' It Old Skool at all costs. You may think there will be some funny parts, you may think it could be a fun 'retro' movie since it's based in the 1980's, you may even be willing to give Jamie Kennedy yet another chance.

Don't.

I laughed out loud once and that was because of a joke involving Bobby Lee, not Jamie Kennedy. This movie completely wasted two hours of my life and I urge you not to make the same mistake.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #219
DopeChamberX

Saw The Heartbreak Kid. Really funny movie. Not the funniest I've seen all year, that honor still belongs to Superbad and I haven't seen Knocked Up yet, but it was still really good. Ben Stiller was a big jerk, but a very likable one at that. It was nice to see him something decidely more adult than what he has been in recently. One negative, and it was a fairly big one, was Carlos Menica. Every single time he was on screen it was excrutiating. He is just not funny whatsoever. Other than him, I would recommend it.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #220
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Could be the mood I'm in but I totally was NOT into Wrong Turn 2. A lot of my complaints will be spoiler-ridden, so to be on the safe side...

Spoiler:
When Kimberly Caldwell is sliced in half and dragged off, why didn't it leave a blood trail? Is she made of dirt?

Henry Rollins was pitch perfect as the gung ho commander. Hats off to him, as he was the biggest (and one of the only) bright spots. Killing him off was terrible.

The stereotype roles were to be expected but pretty annoying. So we have a military lesbian who gets killed because she doesn't see a trap in the woods. Don't they train you to look for those sorts of things?

When they cut the director's head off on the "camcorder footage," why is he still breathing when the head hits the floor?

Let's put human meat in the vegan girl's mouth.... ULTIMATE INSULT! And could they have cribbed more from Texas Chainsaw Massacre with that "dinner scene"?

A lot of my complaints are pretty minor things for a DTV release. Still, I was kind of bummed that I wasted my time with this. I can guarantee you that when this film is cheap, I'll still buy it on DVD because I'm pathetic with these sorts of things, though. Also kudos to the director for showing how much love he has for the genre. No matter how much I didn't really like the film, I could tell this guy likes horror and we need that. I'll give it another shot somewhere down the line but for now, I give it a very, very, very, very mild thumbs-in-the-middle. Bah.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #221
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Billy's Top Ten Halloween List

1. Planet Terror (2007)
  2. The Tingler (1959)
  3. The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
  4. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
  5. Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
  6. What's Up, Hideous Sun Demon? (1983)
  7. Them! (1954)
  8. Cujo (1983)
  9. Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror (2005)
  10. Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)

... taken from my October viewings.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #222
onebyone

Onebyone's Halloween Top Ten First Time Viewings

1. The City of the Dead
2. From Beyond
3. Hatchet
4. Severance
5. The Black Cat (1941)
6. The Night of the Sorcerers
7. Scarecrow
8. Eyes of a Stranger
9. Saw IV
10. Horror Island

There were plenty of other really good movies I watched for the first time this month. On the strength of some amazing new releases, it was one of my very best Octobers, well, except for..

Onebyone's Halloween Hall of Shame

1. 28 Weeks Later *I still cannot believe how poorly made this one was.
2. Masters of Horror: The Damned Thing
3. Buried Alive

Total Horror Movies Watched: 57

Last edited by onebyone; 11-01-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #223
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Great October Fun

Workshed's Top 5 October First-Viewings

1. Fido
2. Martin
3. Death Proof
4. Isolation
5. Black Sheep

Hall of Shame
1. MoH: Homecoming (Joe Dante)
2. My Bloody Valentine
3. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Guilty Pleasures

1. Murder Party
2. King of the Zombies--if only for Mantan Moreland's performance

23 films + one short (MoH) and one horror documentary (Roy Frumkes' Document of the Dead). 20 first-time viewings. 26 viewings total (Suspiria viewed twice; I count Death Proof as a first-time viewing because it differed quite a bit from the Grindhouse version.)
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 11-01-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #224
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

DrHerbertWest's Halloween Top Three First Time Viewings

1. Black Sheep
2. 28 Weeks Later
3. Wind Chill

DrHerbertWest's Halloween Hall of Shame

1. Return Of The Living Dead Part 5: Rave To The Grave
2. Wrong Turn 2
3. The Tripper

Guilty Pleasures
1. Pumpkinhead: Ashes To Ashes
2. Eyes Of a Stranger
3. Black Cat (1941)
4. Black Roses
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #225
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Of the (all-too-few) horror films I watched in October, only two first-time views managed to effectively WOW me: Death Proof and Bug. Amazing films, both of them.

I also quite liked Return of the Living Dead, Feast and Demons. I'll have to work harder next year ...

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote