Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #676
crikan
HackMaster

10/10
Dr. No while listening to the rare and controversial Criterion Laserdisc commentary with film historian Bruce Eder, director Terence Young, screenwriter Richard Maibaum, editor Peter Hunt, and production designer Ken Adam.

The Laserdisc commentary is rare because it was removed at the request of Bond producers Albert Broccoli and Harry Saltzman due to many controversial comments made by the participants. For you Bond fans that would be interested in these comments I have typed some direct quotes below that I believe the producers may have had issue with. While I was listening I also took some notes on things I felt were interesting that I didnít already know.

-----
According to Peter Hunt, pre-title sequences were not common in films before 60's. It sounds as if Peter Hunt's style of quick-cuts was uncommon as well.

During the hotel room scene, Terence Young mentions of Eunice Gayson "She was meant to be nude but in those days we weren't allowed such luxuries as you have today. Today she would have been stark naked." Ohh how I wish they would have shot that for an eventual "unrated release". I find Eunice Gayson to be absolutely stunning. I sure wish Terence Young and Peter Hunt could make a Bond film today. There is at least a half dozen times when they claim they wished for a woman had been nude in Dr. No.

Peter Burton, who plays Major Boothroyd (later known as Q), turned down the role in "From Russia with Love" to make a different movie that was never finished. He regretted that choice.

When M refers to Bond being laid up for six months when his Berretta jammed, he is referring to an injury caused in an assassination attempt by Rosa Klebb in the book "From Russia with Love".

I find it interesting how many of the smaller parts were played by locals.
-Puss Feller (Lester Prendergast) is really the bar owner.
-Strangways secretary owns the house used in her scene.
-The Chief of Police is the really the Chief of Police.

Richard Maibaum speaking about Sean Connery "Dr. No had that wonderful girl, Ursula Andress. Sean's treatment of her far was from being the roughneck that he later proved to be with a lot of the later stars. He was very tender and gentle toward her. There weren't many instances of that towards the various young ladies he played opposite in the later films to come."

Richard Maibaum says of Ian Fleming "I had the feeling that Mr. Fleming was a bit of a snob. That's all that I felt about it. But a tremendously talented man. Much greater writer than most people gave him credit for." He goes on to talk about how great Fleming was at describing a scene and that he believes he got bored with writing and eluded that the earlier novels were his best. He claims Fleming didn't show any interest in the screenplays.

Terence Young claims that he and the producers thought the Bond franchise wouldn't last more than 3 films at the time Dr. No was filmed.

Ken Adam painted the counterfeit Goya's painting displayed Dr. No's lair by projecting a transparency on a canvass.

Terence Young tells a story of how Harry Saltzman wanted Connery to comment "So there it is" when he sees Goya's painting. Young claims he told Cubby to get Harry off the set because he's being a "pain in the ass".
-----

I really enjoyed this commentary and highly recommend it to Bond fans. Peter Hunt and Terence Young are fascinating. And while I always enjoy seeing Ursula Andress, Zena Marshall and Eunice Gayson are every bit as stunning.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #677
mclay18
Maniac

Disturbing Behavior (1998) -

A dull but watchable movie, up until the laughable final 15 minutes. I doubt any of the backstory restored to the running length would make this film work better. Even worse, everyone is miscast -- except for Nick Stahl and Bruce Greenwood. Katie Holmes makes for an even less convincing Goth than a Gotham District Attorney.

Avoid it if you can. It has some nice cinematography and a mercifully short running time, but that's all there is to it.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #678
crikan
HackMaster

Breeders (1986) 3/10 **
This is a bizarre movie. There is something about the way this film is shot that made me feel like the budget was larger it most likely was. The acting and creature effects are so horrible its mind blowing, but there is something about the look of the film that makes it feel completely out of place. The actors come off like they are local stage performers that were given the script just moments before shooting, yet the women donít have that local stripper look similar to what youíd see in a Fred Olen Ray picture. Thatís not to say that they arenít attractive, because every woman in Breeders is a natural beauty. I never found myself getting bored or frustrated with the film despite all of its flaws which is unusual for me. At the end of many scenes my jaw would literally be open wide in disbelief of the insanity I just witnessed. The film is also helped by the fact that it rarely goes longer than 20 minutes without a long gratuitous nude scene of one the many lovely ladies. Breeders is a terrible movie, but one I can highly recommend to fans of bad creature features. It can be had for cheap as I picked it up from Amazon for less than $5 shipped. Beware, you really need to be in the right mood for this one.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #679
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Quote:
Beware, you really need to be in the right mood for this one.
I'm always in the right mood for Breeders. One of my favorite bad movies

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #680
maskull
No Avatar! Boo!

Today I watched:

Bitch Slap (2009) - Quite a lot of fun but America Olivo's major over-acting really got on my nerves after a while. The ending wasn't quite as clever as it thought it was either. Really enjoyed the fights, the attractive women, and the style though.

Staunton Hill (2009)- Directed by Cameron Romero...yes, that Romero. Pretty all over the place with some really bad writing but some really good gore. Wasn't a horrible flick but pretty amateurish in many regards.

Autumn (2009)- A different take on zombies. Very, very slow movie. Not much really happens but it kind of draws you in anyway. Low budget but interesting.

Daybreakers (2009)- Cool idea for a movie but it really just ends up being a semi-entertaining time-waster.

Ogre (2008)- Kind of like a SyFy flick but with slightly more likable characters. Katharine Isabelle's in it and she and the fellow playing her boyfriend are pretty fun characters. The ogre looks like $2 cgi though. Movie is made fun by the fact that they don't take thing too seriously.

The Strangeness (1985) - Really liked this one. First off, it takes place in a cave...I love cave movies! Second the monster is....really, really messed up looking. Third, there are some really odd shots and music choices thrown in throughout that make you go WTF? I like that stuff. Fourth, I don't know. I just really liked the feel of the thing and some of the scenes put a big goofy grin on my face. Especially the last few kill scenes.

I also watched Survival Of The Dead (2009) but I posted my thoughts on it in the "Survival" thread.

Last edited by maskull; 04-11-2010 at 04:16 AM.
maskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #681
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

An Education: Probably one of the better "Coming-of-age" films I've seen in awhile. Yet At the same time I'm still perplexed to why this was nominated for best picture at the Oscars. Sure the directing and acting was phenomenal, but the ending was kind of abrupt. I felt just as the story was taking on steam with a pretty big twist, and next thing you know everything is wrapped up nicely in roughly 15 minutes or so. (7/10)

Brothers: Better than I expected it to be, although I felt like the script was two separate films combined into one. For me, the film could of gone in two different directions and made for a more powerful experience. They could of (a) had Toby McGuire actually die and have Jake and Natalie have a love affair and show the whole moral consequences of their action, etc. or (b) focus more on McGuire's traumatic experience with being a P.O.W. and his deteriorating metal state, his struggle to reenter the world and his possible inability to cope with what he's done. Other than that, it was a descent watch, the last 20 minutess or so are particularly intense I must admit. (7/10)

Last edited by Hatchetwarrior; 04-20-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Hatchetwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #682
Spit
HackMaster

What the hell is wrong with Clint Eastwood? I saw Million Dollar Baby the other day, and what a bring down....It was marketed like 'Rocky with a Chick', but its not some fun and uplifting sports movie, its depressing as all hell.

When your a drug addict, its important to pace yourself -Bill
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #683
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
What the hell is wrong with Clint Eastwood? I saw Million Dollar Baby the other day, and what a bring down....It was marketed like 'Rocky with a Chick', but its not some fun and uplifting sports movie, its depressing as all hell.
wow! who marketed it as rocky with a chick!?!?! worst comparison ever! great movie though.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #684
Workshed
October!

I haven't seen it yet, but the trailer for the new Robin Hood film starring Russell Crowe cracks me up every single time.

"I declare him to be...AN OUTLAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!"

I hope it becomes the "This is SPARTAAAAH!" of its time.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #685
Workshed
October!

Enough people told me to check out the television show Dexter that I finally gave the first two eps of Season 1 a chance.

And I'm not sold. I love the premise, but the heavy-handed voiceover ("My sister has a heart of gold, but she won't show it to anyone." Wow, enough telling, please show.) killed it for me.

Does it get better?
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #686
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Shutter Island: Enjoyed this quite a bit, but I managed to figure out who #67 was about 25 minutes into the film. Even the average Joe Shmoe movie goer could figure out the twist by the hour mark, and if you don't, you have clinical brain damage.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #687
Erick H.
HackMaster

Recently spent a lot of time at the AFI Silver theater in Maryland.Caught all of Michael Caine's theatrical "Harry Palmer " films,THE IPCRESS FILE,FUNERAL IN BERLIN and BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN.Also saw Caine's original GET CARTER (WAY better than the Stallone retread),ALFIE and THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING.Caught CATCH-22 as well (amazing print).While I was in the area I also saw Caine's new film HARRY BROWN (very violent) and SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD at an arthouse.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #688
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Enough people told me to check out the television show Dexter that I finally gave the first two eps of Season 1 a chance.

And I'm not sold. I love the premise, but the heavy-handed voiceover ("My sister has a heart of gold, but she won't show it to anyone." Wow, enough telling, please show.) killed it for me.

Does it get better?
I picked them up as well but haven't started watching them yet. I've heard the best is when John Lithgow shows up (I believe its seasons 3 and 4). Lithgow played one of my favorite baddies ever in Ricochet so I'm really excited to watch those.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #689
crikan
HackMaster

Doppelganger 2/10 **

Doppelganger definitely has that train wreck, can't look away thing going on. Its hilariously bad dialogue, creature effects and situations, immediately reminded me of Breeders. It may have less skin, but the skin it provides comes from a much higher profile source (Drew Barrymore). Anyone else think Doppelganger is one of those “so bad its great” films.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #690
MorallySound
There is no magic.

This month's films I programmed at a local theatre.

Dr. Butcher, M.D. on the big screen, uncut 35mm print!

And Birdemic was, HOLY SHIT, EPIC! See this film in the theatre with an audience if you can!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote