Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #691
mclay18
Maniac

Elvira's Haunted Hills

It's fun if you know what you're in for. They intended it to be a campy, fun throwback to those old Vincent Price movies in the 1960s with sitcom-style setups. And so it's enjoyable in that frame of mind. Richard O'Brien's scenery chewing was a bit too much.
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #692
Erick H.
HackMaster

Caught SPLICE at the theater.Great idea,had a Cronenberg vibe going early on.I felt the last reel got to be kind of generic though,another ''let's go find the monster" flick.The earlier portions were smarter.Still not bad but with a little work it could have been great.

I also saw TOY STORY 3.It's fun but it might be a bit intense for very young kids.It's a tad darker than the first two.

Lastly I saw KICK-ASS at the local Cinema Cafe.The cast was good and it was slick but it didn't really do much for me.Didn't hate it but it just left me kinda flat.Just not my bag I guess.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #693
MorallySound
There is no magic.

If you have the chance to see it, go see EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP!

Best film of 2010 thus far! Extremely entertaining and hilarious documentary, which is both a great documentation on the world of street art and also a commentary on the art world in general.

I've already seen it 3 times, it's that good!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #694
Touch The Sun

i watched Simon Says yesterday. i liked it, awesome movie.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #695
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Hot Tub Time Machine was one of the most bland, unfunny, missed opportunities I have watched in a while. Awful performances, huge plot holes, and a title that marks the point at which the film is at its most clever. After that, it's all downhill.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #696
Touch The Sun

watched May yesterday. i liked it, really effed up in the end, and it also reminds me of Frankenstein.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #697
crikan
HackMaster

City of the Living Dead 1/10 **

This is the first blu-ray that was a blind buy that ended up to be absolute garbage. I hope Vintage Stock gives more than $1 in trade-in value.

I don't get the hype. When I hear people gush about this film there are two scenes that get a lot of love. The first is when dude takes an axe to the coffin. That was effing retarded. He heard a woman screaming so he starts hacking away right where her head would be. The scene would have been tense had I not been baffled by his stupidity. The other is the girl barfing up here digestive track. OK, that was the only 30 seconds when I wasn't bored to tears. Sometimes I think zombie fans will watch anything.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #698
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post

City of the Living Dead 1/10 **

This is the first blu-ray that was a blind buy that ended up to be absolute garbage. I hope Vintage Stock gives more than $1 in trade-in value.

I don't get the hype. When I hear people gush about this film there are two scenes that get a lot of love. The first is when dude takes an axe to the coffin. That was effing retarded. He heard a woman screaming so he starts hacking away right where her head would be. The scene would have been tense had I not been baffled by his stupidity. The other is the girl barfing up here digestive track. OK, that was the only 30 seconds when I wasn't bored to tears. Sometimes I think zombie fans will watch anything.
I will buy it off of you!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #699
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Hot Tub Time Machine was one of the most bland, unfunny, missed opportunities I have watched in a while. Awful performances, huge plot holes, and a title that marks the point at which the film is at its most clever. After that, it's all downhill.
Agreed, this movie was awful! It's sole purpose was to cash in the success of The Hangover and failed miserably. Craig Robinson, who is often hysterical, had almost nothing to work with. And then you got John Cusack, who showed up just to get a paycheck. The whole run of the movie Cusack looked bored and uninterested, with a running monologue in the back of his head saying "Please let's get on to the next scene so I can get the fuck out of here!" After awhile I just didn't care anymore, the whole thing was a giant race to the finish line with little build up and no rewarding payoff. The only re demeaning quality is Rob Corddry, the only funny person in the entire film.

Last edited by Hatchetwarrior; 07-07-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Hatchetwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #700
Erick H.
HackMaster

I slowly worked my way through the last Horrorfest box set.

KILL THEORY has a solid premise and slick production values but the direction is pretty slack and the actors in many cases go way over the top.Despite smooth packaging it did nothing for me.Shame,with a little work this might have come off pretty well.

THE GRAVES makes almost no sense and wastes Tony Todd in an over the top,ranting role.Pointless,though the desert locations are nice.The background rock tracks were my favorite part of the film.

DREAD is a well acted and directed spin on the Clive Barker story.Dark and downbeat,it's pretty nasty at times but works well for what it is.

HIDDEN is a very atmospheric Norwegian film that at times evoked memories of THE CHANGLING and THE SHINING,not so much from the plot but the mood.Very well shot and eerily scored it's perhaps a bit slow and open ended for some people's tastes but I was rather taken with it.

THE REEDS is this set's British entry.The locations are great and the acting is decent but it's a murky story.Not without interest but the payoff isn't all it could be.

ZOMBIES OF MASS DESTRUCTION,a ''topical'' horror comedy that already feels badly dated.Plenty of gore but real laughs are few and far between.A mess.

THE FINAL is a revenge/horror film combined with a torture scenario.It's solidly acted but the last reel gets somewhat muddled.Uneven and understandably unpleasant.

LAKE MUNGO is a faux documentary about an Australian family haunted by a ghost.It's well made but may be too subtle for some.

Last edited by Erick H.; 07-13-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #701
Suicide
Space Bastard!

I watched a workprint for Vampires Suck the other day. It's a "vampire movie" spoof from those awful "_____ Movie" guys. By vampire spoof, they mean Twilight spoof because it's just the first two Twilights mashed together with some really, really dated topical humor (Tiger Woods, Kardashians - Ha!). I didn't really catch any other vampire jokes, aside from a character reading "The Vampire Diaries".

It's a completely terrible piece of crap as you'd expect - a mid film werewolf dance to "It's Raining Men" actually made me cry out "Holy Fucking Shit!". This thing is painful - absolutely brutal even, and I'm sad I saw it early because I know I'll have to see commercials for it very soon.

It is worth watching for a few minutes though just to see the amazingly accurate impression of Kristen Stewart the lead actress does. It's the only movie role she's ever had and has the annoying Bella mannerisms down, from the halting, muttering voice to the excessive blinking and twitching. She's also better looking than Kristen Stewart, they probably could've just used her.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #702
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Finally got around to watching my 16mm print of Motel Hell. Didn't have any empty reels big enough to thread it prior, so finally got some in the mail. Had a few friends over and it was a blast.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #703
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

After.Life: Ended up liking this way more than I thought I would. Loved how they never really give an answer weather or not Cristina Ricci is really dead or just being lead on believing she is by the loony Mortician played by Liam Neeson. A real breathe of fresh air for the horror genre. (8/10)

Open House (2010): As far as DTV horror movies go, this one is very well directed and acted. But the loose premise and shallow characters really turned me off. Also be on the look out for a brief cameo from Anna Paquin, sister to the film's writer/director Andrew Paquin, clearly doing him a favor. (6/10)
Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #704
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Date Night (2010)

How does Mark Wahlberg and his lilting, ever-earnest voice continue to get film roles? I do not understand it. Is he considered that good-looking? I liked him in I Heart Huckabees, but it was mostly due to his character being lampooned the entire film.

Given that this film stars Tiny Fey (love) and Steve Carell, I thought this would be a sure-fire, but the only thing sure about it was that the writers were sure to rely on their ab-libbing stars to cover the shit tracks the plot left behind. My kingdom for a dinner reservation!

The best comedies usually have a plot that serves as a skeleton for the madcap mania that its stars and jokes can build upon. Here, we have a story that sounds as if its writers came up with it while..waiting in line for a table. "Wouldn't it be funny if..." No, not really.

Fey and Carell really only signs of life during their big dance number, otherwise, they seem stifled and lifeless, tossing out jokes and mumbling quips. Mark Ruffalo and Kristen Wiig just about steal the show when on camera, but then we are left with long, long stretches of Fey and Carell bug-eyeing about town. Snooze.

The film gets a bit of life in a clever twist on the traditional car chase scene--where the cabbie just about makes a star performance--but then it's back to Mark Wahlberg's apartment for the third or fourth time. Even James Franco's moment felt undercooked, thanks to Carell's been-there, done-that responses.

Fans of the Funky Bunch should appreciate it, though.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #705
Erick H.
HackMaster

Went to a special screening of THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE hosted by the film critic Mal Vincent.The vintage theater I saw it in (built in 1929) was sold out,I had to sit in the back row in the balcony.All of the music that played prior to the film being presented was from the year of the picture's release and it was preceeded by three Warner Brothers cartoons .The print was flawless.A bistro around the corner had been chartered to host a late dinner after the screening but I was unable to attend.Regardless it was a great night.By the way,no talking during the film at all,no texting,phone calls,just a full house enjoying a great film.That's rare nowadays.

Last edited by Erick H.; 08-24-2010 at 05:35 AM.