Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #751
X-human
I ate my keys

Thanks Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
It's just really bizarre that Hellbilly's account is the only one missing...two years in a row. Was he the 666th account or something, or what? Some sort of number or something has to be triggering this, I just don't understand it. Hopefully Davey can work some admin magic here.
I think Hellybilly updates his list more than most, and in general the more you edit a file the more likely it's going to get corrupt.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #752
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
the more you edit a file the more likely it's going to get corrupt.
Is that a fact? This makes sense though I assumed it had to do with my location (Europe) somehow.
I don't think I ever went overboard with the editing, unless once a day or once every two days is considered excessive.

I appreciate the effort Dave, thanks, but since my file can't be fully restored I won't bother anymore.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #753
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Is that a fact? This makes sense though I assumed it had to do with my location (Europe) somehow.
I don't think I ever went overboard with the editing, unless once a day or once every two days is considered excessive.

I appreciate the effort Dave, thanks, but since my file can't be fully restored I won't bother anymore.

bummer, HB.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #754
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
since my file can't be fully restored I won't bother anymore.
that's a shame. are you sure you're not gonna regret calling it off? Speaking for myself, I think that when the year is over, I'd rather have a record with a one-month gap than no record at all.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #755
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Red Riding Hood (2011) - ***
Gonna need to hear a little more on this, Rhett.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #756
Workshed
October!

After work, I came home last night to find that my cable box was acting oddly (it kept displaying "EAS" on the box) and the channel was locked to the Emergency Alert Channel. I looked outside, and mass hysteria had not yet struck, so i unplugged my box and plugged it back in, and all was OK--except that my guide was blank, so I had no info on any shows. I turned to IFC and began to cook dinner.

I missed the title sequence but caught the beginning of a film that featured several good-looking actors on a boat (or "yacht" as the owner kept correcting them), all enjoying the sun and their own trim bodies. The dialogue was fun, the acting seemed decent, but there was an ominous feel to it. I was intrigued. One of the women on the yacht refused to take off her life preserver while aboard, saying that she had a bad experience as a child. While everyone else jumped ship and enjoyed the sprawling miles of empty ocean, she stayed aboard to tend for her child (the husband/father was frolicking in the water, too) with the suave owner (who knew her back in high school). Of course, the cad makes light moves on her, which she rebuffs. But then he picks her up and carries her to the side of the boat, insisting that the way to get over her fear is to..

Jump off! And down they go into the water. of course she emerges comatose, flashing back to a pretty brutal memory which i will not spoil. As her friends crowd around her, they realize...the ladder was never deployed. They are stranded.

And so begins OPEN WATER 2: ADRIFT! (I later found out when it went to commercial.)

No lie, I was hooked! I watched the whole damn thing. I never saw the first, but I was impressed the filmmakers could hold my interest with such a limited premise (and setting). The acting wasn't bad at all (although the grandpa-face of the aforementioned husband was unfortunate), and the tension was high. of course, all the characters are morons and do exactly the wrong thing every time--but otherwise, we wouldn't have a movie. (And Jason would never get to kill anyone in the F13 films, either, haha.) I never, ever would have watched this if I'd seen the title beforehand, but I'm glad my cable box was on the fritz.

edit: there were a couple really eerie and well done lingering shots in this. Made me feel like I was in the water and weightless.

Last edited by Workshed; 06-15-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #757
dave13
HackMaster

Just finished a Wishmaster marathon. the 1st I'd seen before, and it's pretty enjoyable, thanks to Andrew Divoff and the creative and frequent special effects. The sequels were all new to me, though. The 2nd one is dull as hell, and the 4th one is bizarrely pervy - like a mixture of the Highlander tv show and the soft-core Witchcraft movies. But the 3rd takes the series on a truly stunning leap from "so bad it's boring" to "so jaw droppingly inept that it's hilarious". Does anyone who's seen it remember this film? You know, the one where Sean Connery's son does a flying leap onto the top of the lead actress' car while she's driving around with the soul of the Archangel Michael who's inhabiting the body of her boyfriend and wielding the ridiculous "sword of justice"? seriously, the wishmaster engages in drywall punching fisticuffs, then careens around on top of an out of control car before it crashes in glorious slow motion. How did we go from the battle of wills between Andrew Divoff and the blonde in the first one to this? Walker Texas Wishmaster. fucking bizarre.

Last edited by dave13; 08-21-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #758
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

*** - As I've said here before, this is the best erotic thriller ever made. I gather that's because it's meant to be a noir. I can't believe when I brought up this movie in the past, it never got any response. Don't tell me you all haven't seen it. If you haven't, rent it now. Yeah, it's that good.
Watched this tonight, and you're absolutely right, it's one of the best modern noir films i've seen. just as good...in fact probably better, than Dahl's previous film Red Rock West, which is also another great noir. I think what pushes this one over top of red rock are the performances of Fiorentino and Pullman. She is so wonderfully heartless and manipulative, and he is obviously having a great time playing the scummy ex husband. The most surprising thing about this was the level of humor. There were several scenes that had me laughing out loud (especially Pullman's speech about borrowing money from a man whose first and last names end in vowels), and the best part was that they fit the tone of the film perfectly. a really, really great movie!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #759
Workshed
October!

2011 isn't over yet, but I bet that Contagion (2011) will scare me more than any horror film I have seen or will see this year. It will do for germs what Jaws did for swimming. I am not a germaphobe at all, but when I left the theater and used the restroom, I reached for the door handle with a paper towel on my way out.

We see hysteria and rationality in a time of crisis. This isn't played like a thriller; it feels absolutely legitimate, from Jude Law as a blogger with his own agenda to Kate Winslet (swoon!) acting without one. The performances are all top-notch, yet, it's the clinical approach that keeps the film at bay and perhaps makes it so unsettling. As Soderbergh traces the origins of the disease while also tracking its spread, the film flashes from plot to plot with precision, never lingering too long on any moment lest it lose itself in too much emotion. Soderbergh takes a very Powerpoint/clinical approach to humanity as it is swept up in a viral outbreak.

It's terrifying how simply the disease spreads, and it's terrifying how simple it would be to doom so many.

My keyboard looks dirty. Shudder.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #760
Workshed
October!

I'm not much for cop shows, but I'd heard enough about The Wire that I decided to give the first season a chance. I really enjoyed it--the performances were solid, the writing was great, and the plot was addictive and rewarding. Until, that is, I got to the last disc. I felt that the two final episodes were incredibly drawn-out and heavy handed. Everyone spoke in wise platitudes, and I'm not sure, for all the exposition, what the outcome was in the end. Still, it's a superb start to a series, and I'll watch the second season next with the hope that it only gets better.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #761
MaxRenn
Stalker

I love Last Seduction. Linda Fiorentina is a wow in that film.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #762
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #763
dave13
HackMaster

watched this for the first time in what must be at least 15, probably more like 20 years. i loved this movie as a kid, and it still holds up. a few things i noticed...

- the score by Danny Elfman is shockingly similar to his Batman score, especially in the main titles. it almost feels plagiarized.

- the actor playing the main villain played Wollenski in Dark City! had no idea of that until i recognized him here. i like him. kind of hammy, but has good screen presence. shame i haven't seen him in more things...

- when darkman hooks the henchman at the end, on the construction tower, and he falls to his death, i swear to christ it's bruce campbell screaming. it sounds absolutely IDENTICAL to some of his wilder screams in evil dead 2. seriously. somebody go listen to this and tell me i'm wrong.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #764
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

I guess I've watched too many movies this year. I'm getting a message that says I'm only allowed to have 50,000 characters and I have to shorten my post. Is there a way around this or can I no longer track my films for the rest of the year?

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #765
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolpitz View Post
I guess I've watched too many movies this year. I'm getting a message that says I'm only allowed to have 50,000 characters and I have to shorten my post. Is there a way around this or can I no longer track my films for the rest of the year?
The only way around would be to limit the characters in the post. I see you list the directors for each title, so by taking those off you'd free up a lot of characters for the rest of the films for the year.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote