The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)-8/10
Mission Impossible III (2006)-9/10
Final Exam (1981)-8/10
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)-8/10
Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #782
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

MisterTwister:

Friendly note: you are posting in the thread where we discuss the films we track. If you want to TRACK the films you watch, see this thread. Each poster gets one post and updates the films he or she watches in that one post all year long.

Join us!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #783
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I appreciate you letting me know. Joining in now. Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #784
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Been going through a bit of a documentary craze lately...

Into The Abyss: Never been much of a Werner Herzog fan, but this was incredible. Re accounting the events of a triple homicide in Texas, Herzog interviews the murderers, their families, the police and others. It's very reminiscent of the Errol Morris doc. "Thin Blue Line," no where near as good, but still quality. The only complaint I have about this is how little is spent on the morality of the death penalty, which Herzog only scratches the surface of. (8/10)

Semper Fi: Always Faithful: How this story hasn't made national headlines is beyond me. The story is about water contamination on Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, and how the locals have struggled to receive justice after many have died from various aliments. At the head of the cause is Marine Corps drill instructor Jerry Ensminger, who's nine-year-old daughter died of leukemia. A very tragic story, but the documentary itself is far too short and the editing very copy. Quality watch regardless. (7.5/10)

Shut Up Little Man!: The funniest, weirdest, and most entertaining documentary I've seen in the longest time. The story of punk rockers Eddie Lee and Mitchell D, who venture out from their boring lives in the midwest to a new life in California. While there, they move into a shitty loft apartment and discover they have some unusual neighbors, Raymond and Peter, two alcoholic, homicidal old men, who are constantly arguing. After several weeks, the boys find that the arguments between the two old men are so funny, they begin to record their conversations and share with their friends. What starts out as harmless fun, spirals into a cult phenomena that travels the world and lead to the creation of comic books, a stage play and even a movie about Raymond and Peter. From start to finish this documentary has to be seen to be believed. It does a great job dissecting voyeurism, cult of personality and the over all human condition. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. (9/10)

Last edited by Hatchetwarrior; 04-30-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Hatchetwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #785
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I appreciate you letting me know. Joining in now. Thanks
Glad to see there's another tracker in the annual thread. And you're already many, many films in--awesome.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #786
dave13
HackMaster

i just put in the Die Hard blu ray i picked up yesterday. I haven't started it yet, but I just had to comment on how TERRIBLE the menus are. this must have been a seriously early release for 20th century fox, because they just went waaaaaay overboard with the "look at all this crazy shit we can do!!!!" attitude. its just dozens of images from the film, along with what i think is some computer generated model of the inside of an elevator shaft or something. it's all in sepia tone, and the images flash by so quickly, and at any given time there are at least 3 images transposed over each other, that you can't tell anything that's going on. its a complete mess of flashy garbage - they're lucky they haven't been sued for causing seizures. on top of all that, there's a furiously rotating wireframe image of the tower in the top left hand corner, surrounded by the 4 menu options. it really has to be seen to be believed. its just THAT bad. i dunno who came up with this shit, but they should be embarrassed. ok, i'm gonna go watch the movie now.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #787
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Mortuary (1983)

I've been wanting to see this for awhile. Now that it's finally on DVD was it worth the wait?

No.

Mortuary is a fairly dull slasher film with not a whole lot of slashing and isn't as engaging as it should have been. It's just there. It's not cheesy or gory enough to be entertaining. Some interesting ideas are brought up but really don't go anywhere and that ending made no fucking sense what-so-ever.

Now there's some things I did like. The cast was good, especially Bill Paxton and Christopher George, the music score was pretty good and one death was effective enough.

Now that it's finally on DVD slasher fans will probably want to snag this up. For the people who haven't seen it-don't be in a hurry.

5/10
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #788
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Carnosaur 3: Primal Species (1996)

Not as entertaining as the first two flicks but is still enjoyable B-movie fun.

A decent cast, some funny bits, cheesy but awesome FX work and an explosive and limb ripping finale.

Love Corman and the first two flicks?

Check it out!

7/10
Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #789
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Monster Brawl (2011)

Entertaining flick. Not much plot to it, just monsters brawlin' for 90 minutes.

Impressive production values for a low budget flick ($200,000CN according to IMDB). The make-up is pretty good, the gore is plenty and the matches are fast and entertaining. The old cemetery setting for the matches was creepy and used well.

If I must nitpick I do wish the matches were longer and they could have picked a better monster than Witch Bitch (she sucked!). The backstories for some could have been better (Swamp Gut's was the best) and I'm not sure if I like the open ending. Saying that I'm all for a sequel.

This is a great flick for older kids and a group of drunken wrestling fans.

7/10 (could go up with future viewings)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #790
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Flesh Eaters from Outer Space & Invasion for Flesh and Blood

This horror/sci-fi double feature was released on DVD by Troma and was directed indie filmmaker Warren F Disbrow (director of the entertaining indie slasher film "Haunted Hay Ride"). Shot on video in the 90's, both films are cheap and nasty but far from the best of their kind. None of the acting in either film is anywhere close to being good (it's pretty awful) and there's padding to the run time.

BUT Disbrow gets two things very right and it's what makes both films watchable to splatter/SOV fans: The Monsters and the gore. The Alien beasts in both films look they stepped right out of a 1950's B-movie and Disbrow is not afraid to throw around the gore like there's no tomorrow. Limbs, spinal cords, penis' etc. are all ripped off with glee and I couldn't help smiling every time someone met their end.

Warren F. Disbrow might not have good actors or a big budget but he made two entertaining enough B-movie's. He clearly has a love for this kind of stuff and fortunately that has been carried over to Haunted Hay Ride (I have the sequel to that ordered).

I give both films 7/10's.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #791
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Haunted Hay Ride (2008)

Indie slasher film directed by Warren F. Disbrow. The film starts off just right with a violent and bloody opening and continued to entertain me for the next 90 minutes.

There's LOTS of kills and even though there could have been more variety with some of them here and there I can't deny smiling when Hate (the film's slasher villain) dispatches a victim. The FX is a mix and practical and CGI and looks good enough considering the low budget. Hate is a fun villain to watch and even though he'll never join the ranks of Freddy and Jason I liked him and would to see a whole series build around him.

Using actual Hay rides and Halloween shops around the NJ area gives the movie a sense of authenticity and Disbrow utilizes these locations in the best ways possible.

The acting is an improvement over the Flesh and Blood films but still amateurish. Some give better performances than others. This leads to my biggest problem with the film. I didn't give a shit about the main characters of the film. Hell they don't even take the hay ride until the final 10 minutes of the film. The stuff with them in the middle of the film feels like padding. A person I did care about was the character of Mr. Brock. He's a likable old guy who's concerned why his employees are suddenly disappearing one by one.

Overall a solid slasher flick worth seeing if you're an indie horror fan.

7/10
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #792
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

The Seattle International Film Forum is currently running the following program:

Quote:
Castles in the Sky: Miyazaki, Takahata and The Masters Of Studio Ghibli

June 22–July 5, SIFF Cinema Uptown
SIFF Cinema Uptown is thrilled to present a comprehensive retrospective of Studio Ghibli’s films, featuring new 35mm prints, rarely seen treasures that have never been released in North America, and most films presented in both their original Japanese language with English subtitles and the celebrated English language versions as supervised by Studio Ghibli.
I've seen Princess Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle, but I'm otherwise clueless when it comes to the rest of the oeuvre. So far, I've seen three films that were new to me:

Majo no takkyŻbin/Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
Omohide poro poro/Only Yesterday (1991)
Umi ga kikoeru /Ocean Waves (1993)

Kiki's Delivery Service is one I've heard about, of course, but the other two are apparently not on video and were presented in Japanese only. I chose to see Kiki in its original Japanese as well. Kiki was great, breezy, and beautiful, but the double feature I caught last night was a much different pacing in terms of narrative. Very long stretches of dialogue that I would consider "everyday"--as in, it wasn't progressing the plot but instead moving forward character development. Only Yesterday had dual narratives about the same woman (one as a 10 year old girl; the other as a young woman), while Ocean Waves was more about friendships between teens. Only Yesterday was captivating if not a bit long, but it was my favorite of the two.

The animation, however, is without parallel. I'm going to try to catch a few more over the next week.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #793
Lane Jordan
Victim

Shame - 9/10
Silent Hill - 6/10
Gamera Vs. Gyaos - 7/10

Edit... sorry for just posting the scores, will post them in the other thread from now on.

Last edited by Lane Jordan; 07-11-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Lane Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #794
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Hate's Haunted Slay Ride (2010)

Warren F. Disbrow's sequel to Haunted Hay Ride is an entertaining indie horror sequel that is the best work Disbrow has done.

Running at a beefy 116 minutes it never felt that long to me. Maybe it was because I was actually interested in the characters but the movie went by fast and I was never once bored.

The acting is better here than Hay Ride (except the actor who played the priest-he was awful), there's loads of kills including a great moment when Hate kills off some cops in his house, some decent CGI for an indie film (except the digital snow in the beginning) and a fun and explosive finale.

I give props to Disbrow for not simply rehashing the first film and putting more effort into the story than most people making slasher films these days.

8/10
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #795
MisterTwister
HackMaster

The Dead Hate the Living! (2000)

One of the better Full Moon flicks to come out during the post-paramount years. It's an entertaining and unique zombie film with lots of love towards Fulci. Good cast, great make-up FX and gore and an ending straight out of The Beyond.

What lowers my score, though is the really shitty CGI used in the final act. I understand Dave Parker was working with no money and time but the CGI was really distracting.

Overall a fun zombie flick worth checking out.

7/10