Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #76
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
I have never changed my signature in my 7 years here, but I am seriously tempted by that legendary quote.
I wonder what all the Rhettamaniacs would think if you did such a thing! Would the fanboys revolt? Only one way to find out.

I hate to be so hard on E.T., but I really hate the little bastard.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #77
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Hardbodies?

Hey Rhett,

I see you were enjoying some HARDBODIES lately. I know I rented that VHS tape when I was a kid. Did it mostly feature middle-aged dudes searching for nookie? Kind of like Spring Break for Dads.

I'm always working on my 80s sex comedy collection, so pass along any word on this film.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 AM   #78
rhett

As much as I try to be a pretentious art film snob, I can never deny the pleasures of those 80s sex comedies. HARDBODIES was pretty fun, and even though it has three rich, old guys looking for love (probably surrogates for the producers) it mainly centers around a suave twentysomething (the guy from KILLER KLOWNS). Most of the acting is really bad (the actresses especially), but the main guy holds the film up well, and a surprise visit from Kathleen Kinmont (ironically the ONLY woman in the film not to take her top off) makes for fun times as well. I think of all the 80s sex comedies, this one has to take the award for best stunt coordination. Wholly shit, there are like 20 scenes where guys are falling off buildings, jumping off ladders, diving into hot tubs, etc. I've never ever noticed (or cared) about stunts in a sex comedy (maybe that awesome one in NERDS when Ogre drops the guy off the building) but HARDBODIES was actually noticably impressive. Lots of boobs, lots of sight gags and one-liners, and a cool summer party vibe helped elevate it a notch above the stanard comedy. Since you mentioned it though, SPRING BREAK still stands alone as my fav of the 80s sex comedy lot.

HARDBODIES was one of the last major sex comedies I had yet to see, even though it was always on store shelves at the old mom and pop place I rent from. It was a nice change, since after seeing most of the classics, I've been stuck trying to find worth in the Crown International movies (HOLLYWOOD HIGH please god let me never see again) or shit DTV stuff like PREPPIES. But search and ye shall find, there's always a diamond in the rough!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:16 AM   #79
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Saw the Zodiac tonight. Bravo!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #80
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Saw the Zodiac tonight. Bravo!
Yeah, I may have to go back and see it again. Great experience!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #81
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
HARDBODIES was one of the last major sex comedies I had yet to see, even though it was always on store shelves at the old mom and pop place I rent from. It was a nice change, since after seeing most of the classics, I've been stuck trying to find worth in the Crown International movies (HOLLYWOOD HIGH please god let me never see again) or shit DTV stuff like PREPPIES. But search and ye shall find, there's always a diamond in the rough!
I'll have to pick it up if it ever hits DVD. I'm still trying to figure out if PRIVATE SCHOOL is going to be available here in Canada this week, or if I'll have to import the thing.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #82
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

Just some quick notes on a few films I've watched so far this month:

Stranger Than Fiction was amazing. It tugged on my heart strings, made me laugh, made me think and it even had Will Ferrell in a serious role. I really, really enjoyed this movie all around.

For Your Consideration... Hmm, chalk me up as 'disappointed.' I thought it was funny and had some great scenes but overall I felt it was a few notches below Guest & Co.'s usual output. I love Best In Show & A Mighty Wind, but this didn't totally do it for me.

Found Snakes on a Train for $5 at Hollywood. Should've paid $2.50....

Zodiac was amazing. Gyllenhaal, Downey, Edwards, Ruffalo... Almost every one in this film was pitch perfect. I also give props to the look of the film. I felt like I was inside the past from 1969 on up. David Fincher just can't seem to do wrong in my book.

School For Scoundrels was terrible. I laughed at maybe two parts and I worship at the altar of both Old School AND Starsky & Hutch. Better luck next time.

I bought the 9 Deaths Of a Ninja/Killpoint DVD the other night. Only Brentwood would release both of these together as they are terrrrrrible. 9DOAN is easily the best-worst movie I've ever seen. Almost every line of dialogue and every scene comes out of nowhere. If you want cheese, this is 110% ripe for you. Killpoint was... Eh. It was cheesy but not as fun.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #83
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHerbertWest View Post
Just some quick notes on a few films I've watched so far this month:

Stranger Than Fiction was amazing. It tugged on my heart strings, made me laugh, made me think and it even had Will Ferrell in a serious role. I really, really enjoyed this movie all around.

For Your Consideration... Hmm, chalk me up as 'disappointed.' I thought it was funny and had some great scenes but overall I felt it was a few notches below Guest & Co.'s usual output. I love Best In Show & A Mighty Wind, but this didn't totally do it for me.

Found Snakes on a Train for $5 at Hollywood. Should've paid $2.50....

Zodiac was amazing. Gyllenhaal, Downey, Edwards, Ruffalo... Almost every one in this film was pitch perfect. I also give props to the look of the film. I felt like I was inside the past from 1969 on up. David Fincher just can't seem to do wrong in my book.

School For Scoundrels was terrible. I laughed at maybe two parts and I worship at the altar of both Old School AND Starsky & Hutch. Better luck next time.

I bought the 9 Deaths Of a Ninja/Killpoint DVD the other night. Only Brentwood would release both of these together as they are terrrrrrible. 9DOAN is easily the best-worst movie I've ever seen. Almost every line of dialogue and every scene comes out of nowhere. If you want cheese, this is 110% ripe for you. Killpoint was... Eh. It was cheesy but not as fun.
good idea with the summary. Maybe I'll start doing that at end-of-months. Gives a good perspective. I was curious about Stranger than Fiction so I might have to check it out.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #84
Angelman
HackMaster

1) Thank You for Smoking Jason Reitman/2005 - Pretty funny with a great cast but I wasn't crazy about it.

2) Vera Drake Mike Leigh/2004 - Great performance my Imelda Staunton.

3) In the Land of Women Jon Kasdan/2007 - Saw this one early. I was shocked at how much I liked it. Best performance by Meg Ryan in years and the kid from the OC does a great job. Just a super-solid drama.

4) The Illusionist Neil Burger/2006 - Norton is good, Biel looks good but... just wasn't feeling it as much as I though I might.

5) The Prestige Christopher Nolan/2006 - Really liked this except for one plot point at the end that shattered my suspension of disbelief and kind of violated the rules of the film.

6) Zodiac David Fincher/2007 - Excellent. This ran 2 hrs and 40 mins and I didn't notice at all - neither did my girl (the true test). This looked and felt like a 70s movie (All the President's Men, anyone?). Very un-Fincher, yet a film I could believe came from him. Having grown up in the Bay Area I could not believe how much he nailed the area with all the details. Just a flat-out good movie.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #85
allmessedup
It's beer time.

PATRICK STILL LIVES--Highly recommend this Italian flick...I remember catching the original PATRICK on the CBS late show long, long ago. This sequel has all the great Eurohorror elements....nudity throughout, elaborate gory kills, a great soundtrack, and goofy dialogue like "This man's death was the result of a fatality..."
Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #86
life_o_petey

i'll second that recommendation. i haven't seen them in a few years, but i enjoyed both Patrick movies quite a bit.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 AM   #87
Workshed
October!

After watching the killer Resident Evil: Extinction trailer, I realized I'd put off Resident Evil: Zombie Rocket Launcher long enough. Milla Jovovovorich has really carved a nice niche here, hasn't she? She's the go-to babe when action needs a spinning, jump-kicking, jump-punching, guns blasting, semi-articulate, lithe action hero. And that's not a bad thing. She really sells it, that Milla, and she reprises most of her roles in this one, playing a breathy hero who sort of survived the first Resident Evil and is back to give all those fucking scientists exactly what they asked for.

In case you don't remember what happened in the first film, don't fret, you get to watch it all again as the films opens. And then, at the end of this one, you don't have to worry about remembering what you just watched because it's played again for you at the end. Thanks, Resident Evil! Alice may remember everything, but she tends to forget it pretty often.

This sequel is much more focused on the action this time around, exemplified in the scene where any reason is thrown out the window and the evil scientist (or government guy, whatever. The bad guys are interchangeably evil scientists or government types, or a combo sometimes.) demands, "Fight!"

Big explosions! Milla jumping!

I do wonder about that whole zombie DNA splicing thing. So, the DNA of an animated corpse can give Milla the powers of super martial artist, the aim of an expert marksman, and the instincts of a stuntman, but the little girl just gets the powers of walking? Maybe she'll grow into it.

And note to Resident Evil filmmakers: Lighten up on the mouth-breathing, warbly accented bad guys. I could understand Nemesis better than the main evil government guy: "Zees vill mean ze dee-struk-shun of all zee-vee herr za hertzog!"

This wasn't as good as the first one, but it still got me pumped for Extinction.

* I listened to the commentary with Milla and thought she was a riot. There are two other commentaries to seek any technical info you want on the filming of Apocalypse, if you're going to hate this commentary, at least do so for the pretentious interjections from the actress who played Jill. Look, lady, your character ran around blasting zombies in the least amount of clothing out of any other character (and Milla was naked part of the time!), so let's not get carried away. There was a zombie with a rocket launcher, remember.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 03-12-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #88
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

I guess I'll comment on Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning. It had better intentions than the Dukes movie and even a slight fraction of the charm of the original series. If this had the production values of the Dukes movie, I'd write it off as OK. It's ridiculous in the fact that it shows origins for EVERYTHING! Even Daisy has an "origin". I rolled my eyes, but laughed all the same.

And April Scott is hot.

This is my fifth year birthday cake, BTW:

I suppose I'll watch it again.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #89
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
And April Scott is hot.
Yeah, the trailers pretty much sold me on this fact, at least.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #90
DopeChamberX

Just got home from seeing Disturbia. I was pleasently surprised. For a "teen" thriller, it was really good. David Morse was fucking creepy as hell. It got pretty suspenseful in a couple parts. Carrie Anne Moss was pretty much wasted in this , shame.

I also picked up the Ants/Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo double feature from my local grocery store for under $5. Totally worth it. Haven't watch Tarantulas yet, but I remeber seeing Ants years ago on a pretty bad vhs recording. Hasn't aged very well at all, but total cheesy fun. I was really surprised by the transfers on these discs too. For made-for-tv films from the 70's they looked pretty damn amazing.