Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Creepy & Eerie comics

The popular '70s comic properties Creepy and Eerie will be developed for television and film by Gotham-based Submarine Entertainment and Grand Canal Film Works, according to Variety. Creepy and Eerie, which were released by Warren Publishing in the 1960s, reached the peak of their popularity in the 1970s. They focused on macabre and otherworldly stories in the manner of "Tales From the Crypt" and "The Twilight Zone." Read on for the news.

Variety continues...

Dan Braun, co-topper of Submarine with brother Josh, sees theatricals as a likely platform but wouldn't rule out a TV series or digital media. "We're basically looking at this as a re-launching of the brand," he said.

Submarine and Grand Canal, which have secured worldwide rights, are developing the projects as independent productions but may also try to set them up at a studio.

Deal ends seven years of negotiations between the pair and copyright holder Jim Warren, who secured the rights to Creepy and Eerie after a legal battle with Harris Publishing.

Submarine and Grand Canal will form a separate shingle, New Comic Co., to oversee development and production of the pro-jects.

Creepy and Eerie, which were released by Warren Publishing in the 1960s, reached the peak of their popularity in the 1970s. They focused on macabre and otherworldly stories in the manner of "Tales From the Crypt" and "The Twilight Zone." Their success even prompted comics giants DC and Marvel to launch horror titles.

Though both Creepy and Eerie have horror and sci-fi elements, duo will likely develop Creepy as more of a horror project and Eerie as a sci-fi brand, execs said.

While a younger generation may not be aware of the brands or the comic books, Josh Braun said that auds will find much of that they like about contemporary genre films and TV embedded in these earlier properties.

The Brauns are known primarily as sales agents; they peddled two docs in Sundance for nearly $4 million. Josh Braun also has production credits, including as exec producer on the comics adaptation "The History of Violence."

Grand Canal is comprised of former Greystone execs Craig Haffner and Rick Brookwell.

News was announced at the three-day New York Comic-con, which ended Sunday.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Fucking Crazy!! I collect these things... I have a TON of em... great stories in these! The Bernie Wrightson issue is one of my favourites... Wicked!

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
mutleyhyde
Fuck it.

Eh, and Hammer's resurrection is right around the corner too.

Sorry to be pessimistic right off the bat, but even if this did come to fruition, I'd be so worried that they'd do crap work on it. Who the hell are these guys again?

The comics kicked major ass, and certainly provide great source material. Hopefully this present endeavor does them justice.

And yeah, the Wrightson issue is tops. Love that cover.

I just wish Jim would get the comics reprinted. I actually emailed him about how cool the Mad Magazine cd-rom collection was and asked if he'd be interested in reprinting the mags in that format. Unfortunately, still being in litigation (at that time) with Harris, he was reluctant to comment on it, but he also didn't seem that interested in it either.

M. Hyde
Movies seen; 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
mutleyhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
dwatts
HackMaster

--I just wish Jim would get the comics reprinted. --

There ya go, that's exactly what I was thinking. Movie-smoothie, give me a reprint - a nice big fat hardback would be nice.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

I actually hope they don't get reprinted. I've always liked the fact that I was one of the few people who knew about the Warren magazines because to this day you can still acquire them easily enough on ebay or through Scary Monsters magazine for about the same price or cheaper than they would be if they were sold today brand new at Borders. Of course, if they were more popular then the worth of my near mint copy of Creepy #1 would go through the roof. Not that it would matter much because I'd never part with it if it did.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

This could be good!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
mutleyhyde
Fuck it.

Early issues on eBay go for more than new copies would go for*, and in any event, a package like the Mad Magazine cd-rom deal would be something between fifty and a hundred for all the issues (or, all the stories more accurately, as the laster issues were reprint heavy). I'm looking on eBay now, and while it looks like some interest may have waned, nice VF copies of Creepy 1 seem to be getting $20 and up. The last time I was actively scoping out the early issues, maybe a year or two ago, the early issues (1-10, let's say) were all hot, and were fetching around $30 or $40 regularly. 1 was getting up in the $50s even. Eerie was getting similar cash, sometimes more. Even the later issues, of both series, say between 10 and 50, were getting up to and over $10 regularly, and I'm still talking about VF grade, not NM. And we haven't even brought up Vampirella. The thought of doling out the required cash for originals of that series makes my head hurt.

If these were printed today, in the same format (magazine size, black and white for the most part, same content layout and book length) they'd be around $5 to $8 an issue, and that's accounting for modern paper stock (just an example, color loaded, slick Heavy Metal currently retails for $8). That's still a lot cheaper than the $20 or more for vintage copies.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to reclaim the originals I used to have and have landed a few nice issues over the past few years, but the several times I've stalked eBay, it was just too much work trying to build a collection of any reputable size for an average of $5 to $10 an issue (and $10 an issue is really out of my range anyway, except for the first ten or so issues). The only way to do it on the cheap is in buying lots, and that's a job in itself once you've gone down that road trying to come across lots that won't land you countless doubles.

Nope, I'm lazy and poor; give me a cd-rom set any day, or like Watts said, a nice hardback collection where it may be a little more costly than a cd-rom set, but it'd still be a good chronological chunk, or even a complete collection like the Russ Cochran/Gemstone EC hardbacks.

*I have no idea what they go for in Scary Monsters magazine, and didn't know they were available from them. I'll have to check this out.

M. Hyde
Old 02-28-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
JW77
Support Halliburton

Heavy Metal generally runs for $5.99 an issue, which is actually quite a bargain when you consider that the base price for a 22-page comic book from Marvel or DC runs $2.99. (I believe that Heavy Metal subsidizes the magazine by doing a strong mail order business.)

One way that Creepy and Eerie could be reprinted would be to go the Essentials/Showcase route that Marvel and DC have done. Big, black and white "phone books" of around 400-500 pages that sell for under twenty dollars.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -- Harry J. Anslinger, first commissioner of the United States Bureau of Narcotics
JW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
mutleyhyde
Fuck it.

Yeah, and since they were primarily in b&w anyway, I'd be cool with that. In fact, now that I think of it, I wonder whether the few color specials they did weren't just colored reprints of previous work. That's worthy of research.

As for the price of HM, I was quoting the current issue's price. Maybe it's a special or something. If they are currently publishing standard issues at 5.99, then that only further solidifies my belief that Warren reprints could be published around the $5 range, or lower even, as HM is color loaded.

M. Hyde
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
maybrick
HackMaster

I bought #1 and #2 together on ebay for $20. No doubt it was a good deal, but still, forgetting the earliest issues most of them are only worth about $8-10, and that's the price range of modern day horror magazines.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I recently bought the issue of Creepy that had the original story from the Masters of Horror episode Jenifer. I was lucky enough to find it for $3 at a convention.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
baggio
HackMaster

For anyone interested they started this comic again. Not REPRINTS.

First new comic is out July 15th 2009. from Dark Horse Comics.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
Slackjaw83
Lonely St. Tattooer

Will it be as horrible as the new "Tales From the Crypt" comics? I think that the old Creepy books had a charm that'll be near impossible to duplicate (especially the great inkwash black and grey art style of guys like Frazetta)
Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw83 View Post
Will it be as horrible as the new "Tales From the Crypt" comics? I think that the old Creepy books had a charm that'll be near impossible to duplicate (especially the great inkwash black and grey art style of guys like Frazetta)

From Dark Horse:

"What’s black and white and clawing its way onto your reading list? It’s the newly resurrected Creepy, of course! Now, don’t fret, my putrid pets — these new terror tales are cut from the same cursed cloth as the outlandish originals, telling contemporary horror stories with gorgeously ghoulish art from a lineup that’ll make you lose your head! Original Creepy artist Angelo Torres teams up with devilish Dan Braun on “Hell Hound Blues”; Michael Woods and artist Saskia Gutekunst serve up a dose of “Chemical 13″; Neil Kleid and Brian Churilla provide “All the Help You Need” at a weird weight-loss camp; and jaundiced Jason Shawn Alexander brings his phenomenal painting skills to Joe Harris’s “The Curse”! Plus Bernie Wrightson, the return of “Loathsome Lore,” and more. All this, plus one classic story from Uncle Creepy’s dank dungeon, and you’ve got 48 freakish pages of terror to bring home to mummy!"
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Personally I'd much rather see reasonably priced reprints in anthology / TPB form. Ditto with the Marvel and DC horror titles (and not in the cut rate black & white phone book volumes they did for other titles).

Tales from the Crypt and other EC titles have been released in collector volume form, but the price tag is a bit steep ($50 HC for 6 issues).
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote