Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #76
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

And speaking of Creepy, how about lucky Vol. 13?

This volume marks the arrival of Bernie Wrightson. Have not gotten much further than that, ha, besides a few flip-throughs to find Corben's work in color. Love this one.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #77
Paff

I'll have to see what I can find at Comic-Con next month. I'm talking about the independent sellers who start marking things way down on the final day. Not the Dark Horse booth, where everything sells at list price, and list price only. Even 5 minutes before the convention closes and they've got tons still on the shelf.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #78
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'll have to see what I can find at Comic-Con next month. I'm talking about the independent sellers who start marking things way down on the final day. Not the Dark Horse booth, where everything sells at list price, and list price only. Even 5 minutes before the convention closes and they've got tons still on the shelf.
I never understand that practice. It must be cheaper to ship back home than sell at a steep discount, I guess. I suppose it's a fine line betw. wanting your booth to look beefed up with books (and look like a big publisher) and wanting to act like a retailer.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #79
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I never understand that practice. It must be cheaper to ship back home than sell at a steep discount, I guess. I suppose it's a fine line betw. wanting your booth to look beefed up with books (and look like a big publisher) and wanting to act like a retailer.
Yeah, I think that's it. They're not really there as retailers, in fact they'd probably prefer to not sell anything at all (though I'd still think they'd rather sell the stuff at a discount rather than pack it back up). They're there as more of a promotional thing, and have stock on hand so people can look at it all. Even if they buy it elswehere.

But the indie dealers? They want to move as much stuff as possible and not have to haul it back home after a long-ass weekend. Man, Sunday afternoon you can clean up on older stuff.

So I'll see what Creepy and Eerie I can grab. With more of those Archives getting released, there's more to be had, and that's a good thing.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #80
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yeah, I think that's it. They're not really there as retailers, in fact they'd probably prefer to not sell anything at all (though I'd still think they'd rather sell the stuff at a discount rather than pack it back up).
If it is like game conventions, publishers and distributors are usually contractually obligated not to undercut the prices of retailers - which is generally a bad business practice anyway, when you're basically undercutting the people you are more or less relying on to put your product on the shelf. This is generally the reason why you rarely get bargains at any publisher booth - and why you instead often get publisher exclusives.

Having said that, any publisher should *unofficially* be willing to cut a deal on the last day of the convention. Especially if you have become the only source of the product on the dealer room floor. The cost of shipping the items back is a *significant* factor, better to eat a little bit on the sales profit than lose more in shipping. As long as in doing so you're not pissing off the retailers you need to keep you in business.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #81
Damage
Mirror Mirror

After reading through this thread for a while now, I finally got off the fence and ordered Eerie Archives Volume 1, and will likely order more in sequence, slowly over time. Looking forward to it!
"May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous -- in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."
My DVD List and Movie Tracker... Like you care!
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #82
baggio
HackMaster

Chris Columbus will produce 4 Creepy Magazine movies!

A four-part horror anthology film.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...agazine-348600
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #83
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

that's awesome!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #84
pdw
Victim

Baggio, cool!
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #85
Paff

I missed the Creepy panel yesterday. No cheap copies of the Archives on the dealer floor, or even discounted ones. They're going for list price. Boooo. Did find a few sellers with some old 70s issues, about 10 bucks each. I might grab some before the convention is over.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #86
Paff

Didn't get any Creepys or Eeries at the con. I know if I had looked deeper, I might have found some people selling older individual issues, but I only found a couple, with just a handful of issues no less that $10 each. I'm better off on E-bay. Also only found one booth with any Archive reprints from Dark Horse. They had a few copies of Eerie Archives #4, which I've heard is a low water mark in Eerie's history. The price wasn't bad, $25, but it's kinda hard to lug around heavy books all day so I chose not to.

I did get a few newer horror-themed comics though.
Crawl to Me TPB (signed by the artist)
Hack/Slash Omnibus
Godkiller TPB#1
The Stand - American Nightmare (hardcover)

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #87
maybrick
HackMaster

There are quite a few reprints in Eerie Archive #4, but if you have yet to purchase any of the archives then you might not walk away disappointed. The reprints are pretty good. It's the fresh material that's lousy. But I wouldn't know any of this first hand because I skipped from Volume 2 to 5.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #88
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I'm enjoying the double-digit archives much more than the middle single digits.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #89
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Well, Eerie Archives Vol. 11 was a bit of a letdown.

I admit I don't LOVE the Hunter stories, and The Spirit stuff doesn't do much for me at this point. The Spanish influence on the artwork, though, is superb. Still, I'd skip this one.

Creepy Archives Vol. 14, however, was great! The stories are much more "mature" (if that can be said--perhaps "adult" is better), and the artwork...wow. Severin, Corben, Wrightson, Sanjulian, and more. This is one of my favorites. Worth it!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #90
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Creepy Archives Vol. 16

Quote:
Art by Richard Corben, Alex Toth, Josť Ortiz, Rich Buckler & Wally Wood, John Severin, Paul Neary, Esteban Maroto, Vicente Alcazar and Neal Adams
WOWZA! Look at that lineup. I've only just flipped through this and it's a visual winner. Beautiful pages and layouts. The archives are getting into the more "serial" era of the stories, which can be daunting, but these just keep getting better.