Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #286
Ash28M
HackMaster

I remember my DVD of the Long Weekend looking pretty great. I'm debating this.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #287
gobad2003
Victim

Yeah, the dvd is plenty good enough. You don't need everything on blu-ray. I need to make more smart decisions when buying my movies, I'm running out of space
gobad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #288
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobad2003 View Post
Yeah, the dvd is plenty good enough. You don't need everything on blu-ray. I need to make more smart decisions when buying my movies, I'm running out of space
You and me both...
The only difference is that Iīm already out of space. Piles on the floor.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #289
Mikey Horror
Maniac

I'm dying to know exactly how many copies of Demons and Demons 2 have sold so far.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #290
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I currently own Demons 1 and 2 on DVD, and for me, that is fine with me. Not going to pay almost $100.00 for them on Blu-Ray, when I have pre-ordered House of Wax 3D, with Vincent Price, Amityville Horror Collection, and Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary 3D Blu-Ray Set, and that will cover about 2/3 of my order.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #291
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobad2003 View Post

Don't take this personally but if we all thought like this there wouldn't be a Blu-ray format today. True, not everything needs to be on Blu-ray but if you think about it for a second, it's the low-budget independent films that are currently driving the format. If the little guys don't release films like LONG WEEKEND on Blu-ray, what are we left with? Hangover III and the likes of Sharknado . Lack of space will never stop me from upgrading the films that I feel need an upgrade. Nobody stops driving cars because gas is too expensive. No, don't upgrade every single DVD you own, just the ones that you love.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #292
Steel76
Maniac

I was thinking about waiting for a future regular edition, but since Don said itīs not very likely at the moment, and seeing those screenshots, looking way better than the Arrow discs (correct blacks and colors), that I already owned, I just couldnīt resist anymore and pre-ordered the steelbooks. Sure they are expensive, but I payed a LOT more for just ONE movie on Laserdisc back in the mid 90:s, like the Criterion "Halloween" box, etc. and 100 dollars was MUCH more 20 years ago

But this is definitely the last time I will ever upgrade "Demons"
Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #293
cjg
Maniac

Just let me buy a bare bones good looking copy for 15 bucks without all the extras, most of the time I don't watch that stuff anyway and even if I do I sure as shit not gonna watch it ever again, not enough hours in the day and to much other stuff to watch.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #294
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Don't take this personally but if we all thought like this there wouldn't be a Blu-ray format today. True, not everything needs to be on Blu-ray but if you think about it for a second, it's the low-budget independent films that are currently driving the format. If the little guys don't release films like LONG WEEKEND on Blu-ray, what are we left with? Hangover III and the likes of Sharknado . Lack of space will never stop me from upgrading the films that I feel need an upgrade. Nobody stops driving cars because gas is too expensive. No, don't upgrade every single DVD you own, just the ones that you love.
You say that if we all thought like this there wouldn't be a Blu-ray format today, but then you say everything he already said in other words.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #295
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Pair of reviews for THE ODD ANGRY SHOT:

DVD Talk:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/61442...ngry-shot-the/

Rock!Shock!Pop!
http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...Angry-Shot-The

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #296
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Just watched Long Weekend for the first time and was really impressed by it. I loved the slow burn, the focus on the drama between a very small number of characters, and the fact that there was still some mystery as to what was actually going on at the end of the film. I had bought this on DVD as a blind buy during Black Friday last year, so I'll wait to see if there will be any additional supplements on the Blu-ray before I decide if I'm upgrading or not.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #297
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
Just watched Long Weekend for the first time and was really impressed by it. I loved the slow burn, the focus on the drama between a very small number of characters, and the fact that there was still some mystery as to what was actually going on at the end of the film. I had bought this on DVD as a blind buy during Black Friday last year, so I'll wait to see if there will be any additional supplements on the Blu-ray before I decide if I'm upgrading or not.
Same here. I rather enjoyed it. Still, I'd like to know why that stuff happened to them. I don't think the guy deserved it. Also, I've never been so creeped out by dead sea life.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #298
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Some reviews of SCHOOLGIRL REPORT, VOL. 10: EVERY GIRLS STARTS SOMETIME... (Apparently it has an EXORCIST segment!!!)

Mondo Digital:
http://www.mondo-digital.com/schoolgirl10.html

DVD Drive-In:
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n...eportten76.htm

Rock!Shock!Pop!
http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...tarts-Sometime

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #299
WesReviews
HackMaster

Don May is teasing Synapse landing of a fairly high profile title...

Quote:
Something extraordinary happened today. A day I really never though would come. Let me explain.

Around 20 years ago, when I first started in this business, I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to work on so many horror/cult classics. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, LEMORA, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1-3, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 1 & 2, EVIL DEAD 2, STREET TRASH, INTRUDER, THUNDERCRACK!, RE-ANIMATOR, THE STEPFORD WIVES, PROM NIGHT, BRAIN DAMAGE, FRANKENHOOKER, CURTAINS, TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD, BLUE SUNSHINE, DEMONS, DEMONS 2, PHENOMENA, TENEBRE, all those HAMMER classics … Just a small selection of the many films I’ve helped release on home video (some listed above are still to come, of course) in one form or another with the two companies I’ve owned.

I grew up on these films, and it is a huge honor that I’ve been able to work on them all before I either quit the business or dropped dead (probably from exhaustion caused by actually working on said films). But there are still a few films on my “bucket list” that I’ve always wanted to work on that I haven’t been able to for one reason (money) or another (stingy studios). My “dream” films. Many others I really wanted to work on slipped right through my fingers even though we started working on them: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 4 & 5 (The license expired too quickly and we only got out the first three. But we tried. Hard.), MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE (I don’t even remember why that failed to get finished), and WILD AT HEART (After a huge amount of pre-production, phone calls and element searches with David Lynch and his office), too. The film license was left to die after I left Elite Entertainment, I guess. We even made an ad for it! Then there was the huge DVD life-project I started with Clive Barker around 10 years ago, when we discovered the “NIGHTBREED: CABAL CUT” VHS tape in a random box at his place. Clive was a saint, and I loved visiting when he was covered head to toe in paint, but his agents stuck a fork in all our great plans. Maybe another day, Clive.

But, there is ONE particular film that, since I took that risky, all-or-nothing head-first dive into the home video biz, I’ve always wanted to do and it’s always been out of reach. I’ve met and talked with the director over the years about it, but was never able to get it. But, we got a lead not long ago, and pursued it immediately. There was a small bit of hope.

I was working on DEMONS at home when my business partner, Jerry Chandler, called me with the news. I pick up my phone and he says in his non-reactive, calm, easygoing tone that he always tries to fool me with (but it never works), “Just wanted to let you know, we got the signed contract today. Just throwing that out there, in case you needed to get some good news this morning.” I was sitting on my couch and I just hung up the phone and stared at the floor for a few minutes trying to absorb what I’d just heard. I couldn’t believe it. I have to admit I got a bit misty eyed, too.

Getting this film has been quite a few stressful months in the making. As a matter of fact, knowing that there was really only a slight chance we could get it, we had to let a few other titles slip through our fingers that we wanted. We were in the running for NIGHT OF THE DEMONS, WITCHBOARD and one other film that we know went to Scream Factory. I won’t spill the beans on what that one is. I’ll let SF announce it when they are ready. Truth is, with my bucket list film as a possibility for Synapse, we just didn’t want to put a lot of money towards these other three films. We didn’t offer a lot of money for them because we knew getting this one film was much more important to me. We couldn’t really have afforded larger advances on those other three films, and then this one too (contrary to what some folks would like you to believe, we are a struggling indie company… we aren’t loaded with money, and we have to be smart about how we spend it). We gambled that we would get it, held our breath, and let the other three films slip away… All three films went to Scream Factory, but the film we wanted wasn’t locked up yet. It wasn't a sure thing. I was torn, anxious… almost devastated that we lost the three and started to believe we’d never get the one we gave them up for. This ONE film was more important to me than anything else on the table and I thought we’d made a horrible mistake.

But, then it came to us. The agreement was in.

Now, at this point you are probably like… “Don, what the fuck? Tell us what it is already.” I will eventually, but not today. WAY too much planning, scanning and work await me on this one before I’m comfortable with talking more about what we’re doing. I just had to get this off my chest tonight. I needed to shout out to the world that dreams do come true sometimes. Sometimes. And for me, today was that day.

So I sit here, in awe of what just went down at Synapse Films. I’m stunned, ecstatic, shaking… not exactly sure if I believe what happened, even though I know it did. We got it. Twenty years… and it’s finally mine. Twenty long, hopeful, wishful, mother fucking years! I have never been more proud to be in the home video business than I am right now.
Gotta wonder what it is. Most speculation leans toward PHANTASM.

It's got to be something pretty big to have passed on Witchboard, Night of the Demons, and a yet-to-be-revealed title that all went to Scream Factory.

Thoughts? Theories? Guesses?

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #300
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Don May is teasing Synapse landing of a fairly high profile title...

Gotta wonder what it is. Most speculation leans toward PHANTASM.
I would love if it was Phantasm or Suspiria!