Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #1546
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicreep View Post
And, let's remember that: there is always an entity between Code Red and the buying public, and that is the distributor. How likely is it that an established company like Navarre would release a disc that might get them sued?
Well it wouldn't necessarily be the distributor that would get sued but the studio behind the release. The distributor really is just the guys who get the product out there, they're paid by the studio to release a film, they really have nothing to do with the rights or legalities of that nature so Navarre would have been in the clear in this case.

Actually Music Video Distributors was the company that was distributing THE VIDEO DEAD back when Televista tried to release it and they didn't even know anything about the release itself, just that they were supposed to be getting the master disc to replicate in a few weeks. All they got was the standard cease and desist from the studio to halt any production or discs getting out, I think if they still go forth and release the film after that they are liable but not if they're not aware of the situation.

It isn't the job of a distributor to find out of the rights are with the studio that's handing them the master disc, that's the studio's job.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #1547
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post
Well it wouldn't necessarily be the distributor that would get sued but the studio behind the release. The distributor really is just the guys who get the product out there, they're paid by the studio to release a film, they really have nothing to do with the rights or legalities of that nature so Navarre would have been in the clear in this case.

Actually Music Video Distributors was the company that was distributing THE VIDEO DEAD back when Televista tried to release it and they didn't even know anything about the release itself, just that they were supposed to be getting the master disc to replicate in a few weeks. All they got was the standard cease and desist from the studio to halt any production or discs getting out, I think if they still go forth and release the film after that they are liable but not if they're not aware of the situation.

It isn't the job of a distributor to find out of the rights are with the studio that's handing them the master disc, that's the studio's job.
what about nightmare there has been several people saying code red doesnt own the filn just like rituals
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #1548
delicreep
Stalker

Speak of the devil! CR just posted this on their blog:

There have been some 2ND hand statements and slanderous lies posted on few message boards regarding CODE RED and the motion picture THE MUTILATOR. Here is the truth once again to set the records straight.

(1) CODE RED has a valid contract with Buddy Cooper on the film.

(2) Mr. Cooper told us that he had the negative and prints in New York, but later we realized that the place was gone. Buddy used his assistant to search for it, only to come up empty handed.

(3) Buddy did find a 3/4 inch tape (I recall the R cut), but this is unusable for today's standards for a DVD release. 3/4 will look worse than your old VHS Vestron Tape and most likely will not play since it has had a 15 year lifespan.

(4) A youtube video poped up with Buddy showing a storage shack with some 35mm cans in the background. I talked to Buddy and he told me it was empty. He did find some trims and some trailers which we sent to a Los Angeles lab (the one Something Weird used). The 35mm trailer was damaged due to poor storage/weather conditions after 25 years. If there had been a 35mm print inside, it would most likely also be damaged/beyond repair.

(5) Rumor circled around that Movielab New York had the negatives. Cliff MacMillan of BCI personally asked Mike Vraney of Something Weird and he didn't have it. It was not at Movielab. Since then, many print collectors and film storage people were contacted. Nothing.

We can't understand why so many people spew slanderous lies about us regarding this film. We have mentioned these facts countless times, but it seems we might have to put this bulletin out once a year. If Buddy has a 35mm usable print, he never told us or delivered it to us. This is the 2011 bulletin. Come back next year to probably see the same bulletin all over again. This is what we have on the table, nothing else.
delicreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #1549
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

I've heard NIGHTMARE is in a catalog with 12 other films that in debt $1.2 million that is owned by Bank of America.

Then again, ONE DARK NIGHT is supposedly in that catalog as well and that came out with out any major issues.

I'm waiting to get a confirmation on information regarding NIGHTMARE, and RITUALS as well.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #1550
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Speak of the devil! CR just posted this on their blog:

There have been some 2ND hand statements and slanderous lies posted on few message boards regarding CODE RED and the motion picture THE MUTILATOR. Here is the truth once again to set the records straight.

(1) CODE RED has a valid contract with Buddy Cooper on the film.

(2) Mr. Cooper told us that he had the negative and prints in New York, but later we realized that the place was gone. Buddy used his assistant to search for it, only to come up empty handed.

(3) Buddy did find a 3/4 inch tape (I recall the R cut), but this is unusable for today's standards for a DVD release. 3/4 will look worse than your old VHS Vestron Tape and most likely will not play since it has had a 15 year lifespan.

(4) A youtube video poped up with Buddy showing a storage shack with some 35mm cans in the background. I talked to Buddy and he told me it was empty. He did find some trims and some trailers which we sent to a Los Angeles lab (the one Something Weird used). The 35mm trailer was damaged due to poor storage/weather conditions after 25 years. If there had been a 35mm print inside, it would most likely also be damaged/beyond repair.

(5) Rumor circled around that Movielab New York had the negatives. Cliff MacMillan of BCI personally asked Mike Vraney of Something Weird and he didn't have it. It was not at Movielab. Since then, many print collectors and film storage people were contacted. Nothing.

We can't understand why so many people spew slanderous lies about us regarding this film. We have mentioned these facts countless times, but it seems we might have to put this bulletin out once a year. If Buddy has a 35mm usable print, he never told us or delivered it to us. This is the 2011 bulletin. Come back next year to probably see the same bulletin all over again. This is what we have on the table, nothing else.
Well, I can assume that's true, certainly sounds legitimate enough and if there's any doubt, one could ask Cliff MacMillan about the situation as well since he was brought up.

Don't understand why Buddy's friend would lie - maybe Buddy is really just unhappy it's taking so long to come out or something to that effect so HE lied. I can't vouch for Buddy or say that he's an honest, stand up guy, but Bill has been dishonest with us in the past - so as I've said before, I have to take what he says with a grain of salt. I'm not accusing him of lying about this, but I'm not buying into it until I get confirmation from the other parties mentioned.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #1551
highclassrob
Stalker

Good thing I picked up the unrated VHS. Looks like it'll be quite a wait.
highclassrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #1552
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:

(4) A youtube video poped up with Buddy showing a storage shack with some 35mm cans in the background. I talked to Buddy and he told me it was empty.

I'm telling you I have this feeling someone else will release this movie one day.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #1553
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

My Rituals DVD arrived from FamilyVideo today! Extremely fast shipping, it shipped out on Saturday! (and it was free shipping too!)
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #1554
FinalSora
Victim

Watched the RITUALS disc today. Considering the lab accident, I think Code Red did a pretty good job with what they had. There is a disclaimer before the film starts, as previously reported. The film looks a hell of alot better than it did in previous incarnations, I must say. There are some scratches and debris, but it doesn't detract or pull you out of the film. I thought it added character actually. The daytime scenes were very sharp, even the night scenes which are a little soft, are still an improvement over the Embassy VHS that I own. The damage is nowhere near the level that THE REDEEMER went through. I did NOT notice any sound issues. Audio seemed nice and clean. All in all, this is the best this film will ever look.

The extras are really cool and professional, with good sound. Really enjoyed the Lawrence Dane interview. The menu screen is really evocative with the beautiful score being played.

Watching this today reminded me of what a GREAT, GREAT movie this really is. I hadn't watched it in a long time, and I was actually surprised. Probably the best film, from top to bottom, that Code Red has ever put back out there. 2 thumbs up from me!
FinalSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #1555
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Thanks for that positive review!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #1556
SteveG
Victim

I received my copy of Rituals from Buy.com yesterday. Not bad 2 days ship time. I must say I too was pretty impressed with the transfer. I have numerous copies of this film from the Astral VHS, to the German DVD, and this print is really an improvement. Not perfect, but I agree with FinalSora, kind of gives the film some additional character.

I will say while the commentary was informative and I enjoyed hearing from Lawrence Dane, the two guys who did the interview were horrible. They asked far too many questions on how cold was the water? and were the locations really that remote?
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #1557
Ash28M
HackMaster

Reading other reviews. It seems like FulciLuvver was being a bit harsh with his but I'm going to reserver judgment until I actually see the transfer.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #1558
Demoni
HackMaster

Mine arrived today but I can ony see it later on because Im at work.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #1559
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I got mine today too. I am so glad to finally close the chapter on getting this in my hands - thanks Code Red!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #1560
Stige
HackMaster

well mine was at least sent today, looking forward to comparing it to the german abomination dvd.
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote