Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #1891
FinalSora
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
^ I've never seen Vampire At Midnight and I'm curious for opinions before I blind-buy. Let us know what you think!
I watched VAMPIRE AT MIDNIGHT yesterday. It was a decent film with an unexpected little twist at the end. The actor who plays the vampire (Gustav Vintas) played the role with a weasel-like, slightly effeminate manner that I found amusing. There are some moments in this movie where I found myself laughing at the screen; a couple of out-of-nowhere dance scenes in particular are absolutely hilarious, reminded me of some similar unintentional hilarity from MURDER ROCK, the hero of the movie feeds his pet gold fish tuna and burritos, and the aformentioned way in which the vamp delivers his lines.

Not a gory movie, but the hypnotist vampire has a nifty way of dispatching vicitims with a large razor that protracts from a device around his wrist, so there are some slashed throats and blood spilled.

This is a late night horror movie that you would have caught at 1am on HBO in the late 80's/early 90's, and I mean that in the best possible way. It's an entertaining way to spend an hour and a half, and if you collect horror dvds, and have a particular love for 80's horror then picking this one up is a no-brainer. This film and Central Park Drifter/Graveyard Shift are leagues better than something like VAMP or Fright Night 2. So it all comes down to personal taste.
FinalSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #1892
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Finally watched Night of the Demon. Some minor pacing issues aside this was an entertaining as hell slice of slasher cheese.

This Bigfoot didn't fuck around. He fucked these people up.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #1893
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Thanks for the comments on Vampire, I think I might give it a shot. FinalSora's comment really sold me on it (although I love Vamp )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
This Bigfoot didn't fuck around. He fucked these people up.
Yes, he did. Reminds me of something that happened in these parts many years ago... (cue flashback)
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #1894
FinalSora
Victim

Quote:
(although I love Vamp )
Haha, well it's been a long while since I viewed VAMP, so I might reevaluate my opinion slightly on that one some day.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #1895
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalSora View Post
This film and Central Park Drifter/Graveyard Shift are leagues better than something like VAMP or Fright Night 2.
I know everyone´s tastes are personal and theirs alone but... you´re kidding right?
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #1896
FinalSora
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
I know everyone´s tastes are personal and theirs alone but... you´re kidding right?
Hardly.

I wouldn't lift films like Central Park Drifter or V.a.M. up to the lofty heights of MARTIN or NEAR DARK, for instance. But I definitely find they have higher artistic value than the skating vampires of Fright Night 2. I love the original, but the sequel is highly tedious.

Central Park Drifter in particular is very underrated in my eyes, with wonderful lighting and production design, and an overwhelming sense of loneliness that permeates the proceedings.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #1897
FinalSora
Victim

Here is how I would rank the four horror titles released in the Maria B-Movie line so far-

1. NIGHT OF THE DEMON: Classic low-budget gore flick that I have had on VHS for years and never dreamed would see an official dvd release. I love this one. Shame that none of the people involved in the production were able to contribute to any bonus features.

2. Vampire at Midnight

3. Mardi Gras Massacre: another one that I had on vhs for years. This one is decent considering the poverty row budget. There is such an oddly compelling atmosphere with this film. Definitely recommended to HG Lewis fans.

4. Haunted: Really wasted opportunity. The idea of a payphone in the middle of a graveyard is just such a surreal idea, but this movie just never milks any aspect vaguely resembling horror. I really disliked Haunted and it was a real chore to sit through. Love the cover-art though.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #1898
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalSora View Post
But I definitely find they have higher artistic value than the skating vampires of Fright Night 2. I love the original, but the sequel is highly tedious.
I've never seen C.P.D., but I do agree that Fright Night Part 2 is kind of a bore.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #1899
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

So found this interesting;

"Code Red's distributor sent out a press release yesterday saying that their POPCORN release is delayed due to 'circumstances beyond their control' with no definite release date."

Maybe the illegal implications caught up with them???
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #1900
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac87 View Post

"Code Red's distributor sent out a press release yesterday saying that their POPCORN release is delayed due to 'circumstances beyond their control' with no definite release date."

That's not surprising. More interested in the Fan Edition anyway.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #1901
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Still hoping for further news on Ghostkeeper.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #1902
FinalSora
Victim

Quote:
Still hoping for further news on Ghostkeeper.
I inquired about GHOSTKEEPER two weeks ago. Bill, (owner of CR), said that it's slated for a possible March 2012 release. The commentary and interviews are done, the transfer is done. They are just looking for a good quality copy of the cover art, then they will be ready to go.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1903
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:

More Code Red bullshit. I already have the watchable Elite DVD, there's no sense in getting excited over yet another generic reissue. Besides, I don't "do DVD" anymore unless it's a title I'm sure will never get a Blu-ray.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #1904
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:

No surprise there.

I'm still waiting to hear the truth about why the first God's Bloody Acre DVD was recalled. It sure wasn't "defective" like they claimed.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #1905
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:

No surprise there...

This is what the guy named Bill wrote on another forum about why the release date of "Popcorn" changed to the statement: "To Be Determined 2012"...

"I got a pre-order of 195 copies and one 21 year old girl and her large techincal advisor slandering me. I'll rather wait to see what happens. I just more cult films recently that I have to deal with then this film."

Yeah, right!

Last edited by Demoni; 10-28-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote