Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #181
CrazyFatEthel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoViolence View Post
I could see Night Of The Dribbler being a bonus disc with another slasher of theirs, but as a special edition on its own? This is def gonna lose them some $$$
Shit, just the title turns me off...I dont know, I guess it could be an ok movie...
Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #182
SynapseFilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot View Post
Synapse announced THE KINDRED and that's also disappeared now.

That said, dammit, stop announcing shit until it's ready to come out!!!
Well, we finished the HD transfer of THE KINDRED and everything but, you are right, it is currently off our schedule. The DVD market is so awful right now that we have to be extremely careful with what we put out and when. To put out more expensive, higher budgeted titles, in this market the way it is right now, is certain death. There's just no way a title will get any sort of push or market penetration in this economy. Nobody is buying anything. (sigh) How I long for the market to be like it was 7-8 years ago. Hopefully, we'll see a cyclical upturn in the economy over the next 12-24 months and things will get back to normal (or semi-normal). If not, I fully expect to see more DVD companies hanging it up, and soon.

We had a licensing scare a few years ago with THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN. We bought it from producer Max Rosenberg and we paid a pretty hefty sum for it, too. He was a nice enough fellow (at first) and we started working on it, but he said he only had a few 35mm prints. I HATE working from 35mm prints, so I started calling around looking for other materials and, I have friends at MGM. They had the original negative, etc. so I asked to get an inventory and they were like, "Uh... WE own that." When I called my bud in legal over there to find out more, he explained to me a little bit about Max and how he'd done this before (selling films he produced to multiple parties, hoping, I guess, that no one would find out... but he'd sold the same films, in perpetuity, to MGM years before). When Max found out I'd called MGM for materials, he went ballistic on me, calling me, literally, every name in the book and accusing me of "meddling in his personal affairs". Imagine an 80 year old Jewish fellow dropping "f" bombs, calling me the "c" word a few times, and I think "bastard" and "a-hole" were thrown in, too. Well, when you sell me a bogus film license, in my opinion, it becomes MY personal affairs... Anyway, thankfully, MGM produced an astounding amount of paperwork and Max ended up (begrudgingly) refunding us our advance money. Two weeks later, he died... thank God we got the check cleared first! Such is an average day in the independent DVD business! And people say they wish they had my job! Trust me, you don't...

Last edited by SynapseFilms; 02-11-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #183
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynapseFilms View Post
Well, we finished the HD transfer of THE KINDRED and everything but, you are right, it is currently off our schedule. The DVD market is so awful right now that we have to be extremely careful with what we put out and when. To put out more expensive, higher budgeted titles, in this market the way it is right now, is certain death. There's just no way a title will get any sort of push or market penetration in this economy. Nobody is buying anything. (sigh) How I long for the market to be like it was 7-8 years ago. Hopefully, we'll see a cyclical upturn in the economy over the next 12-24 months and things will get back to normal (or semi-normal). If not, I fully expect to see more DVD companies hanging it up, and soon.

We had a licensing scare a few years ago with THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN. We bought it from producer Max Rosenberg and we paid a pretty hefty sum for it, too. He was a nice enough fellow (at first) and we started working on it, but he said he only had a few 35mm prints. I HATE working from 35mm prints, so I started calling around looking for other materials and, I have friends at MGM. They had the original negative, etc. so I asked to get an inventory and they were like, "Uh... WE own that." When I called my bud in legal over there to find out more, he explained to me a little bit about Max and how he'd done this before (selling films he produced to multiple parties, hoping, I guess, that no one would find out... but he'd sold the same films, in perpetuity, to MGM years before). When Max found out I'd called MGM for materials, he went ballistic on me, calling me, literally, every name in the book and accusing me of "meddling in his personal affairs". Imagine an 80 year old Jewish fellow dropping "f" bombs, calling me the "c" word a few times, and I think "bastard" and "a-hole" were thrown in, too. Well, when you sell me a bogus film license, in my opinion, it becomes MY personal affairs... Anyway, thankfully, MGM produced an astounding amount of paperwork and Max ended up (begrudgingly) refunding us our advance money. Two weeks later, he died... thank God we got the check cleared first! Such is an average day in the independent DVD business! And people say they wish they had my job! Trust me, you don't...
Heh, now that's a story. And you guys aren't the only ones getting double sold on rights these days, either. I'm glad you are sticking it out though, like Blue Underground, cautiously releasing titles, but still releasing nonetheless. It would be a sad day if Synapse quit pulsing.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #184
captain_brandon

Quote:
Imagine an 80 year old Jewish fellow dropping "f" bombs, calling me the "c" word a few times, and I think "bastard" and "a-hole" were thrown in, too. Well, when you sell me a bogus film license, in my opinion, it becomes MY personal affairs... Anyway, thankfully, MGM produced an astounding amount of paperwork and Max ended up (begrudgingly) refunding us our advance money. Two weeks later, he died... thank God we got the check cleared first! Such is an average day in the independent DVD business! And people say they wish they had my job! Trust me, you don't...
*LMAO*
Dear holy controversal passion of the Christ, was that ever a good story, Mr. May ...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #185
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:

Awesome story. Keep up the good strategy (and send me a copy of the Kindred )
Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #186
DrHerbertWest
For Your Health

So you don't own THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN? Aw... That's one I've always wanted to see.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #187
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
It would be a sad day if Synapse quit pulsing.
I agree, I'd say that overall Synapse has the best mix of great releases paired with fantastic transfers and extras. It'd suck to see them go.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #188
hellraiser40
Maniac

Quote:

when you do this movie eventually, make this story into an extra, it would be worth it!
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #189
Angelman
HackMaster

Don... please spill the beans on the HALLOWEEN negs.

I know this is a Code Red thread... but this is important stuff!!!
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #190
Wez4555
Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i second that.
Wez4555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #191
Mattapooh
Maniac

Thirded. Even though there's probably nothing else new
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #192
spawningblue
Deadite

Fourth.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #193
SynapseFilms

We still have the HALLOWEEN negs and they are safe and sound, but Malek Akkad has not stepped up to the plate to help us restore them, or even transfer them.

Obviously, while we own the physical "property" for this stuff, that does not give us the right to do anything with them. We have so much stuff that, to look and transfer it all, would cost us 10s of thousands of dollars and Malek has, as of right now, refused to help us. If we were millionaires, I would've transferred this stuff for my own archival purposes long ago, but we need financing and we don't have any money. Akkad won't help us and won't buy the stuff, so we're at a stand still.

Anchor Bay wanted to do something with it, and we were in discussions, but it all falls under Malek's approval and he won't cooperate (or even return my emails or phone calls).

No biggie... at least we've preserved the materials and kept it all from being destroyed. Maybe, if we take up a collection, we'll be able to at least transfer it all! Hahah! Anyone got about $100,000???
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #194
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
We still have the HALLOWEEN negs and they are safe and sound, but Malek Akkad has not stepped up to the plate to help us restore them, or even transfer them.

Obviously, while we own the physical "property" for this stuff, that does not give us the right to do anything with them. We have so much stuff that, to look and transfer it all, would cost us 10s of thousands of dollars and Malek has, as of right now, refused to help us. If we were millionaires, I would've transferred this stuff for my own archival purposes long ago, but we need financing and we don't have any money. Akkad won't help us and won't buy the stuff, so we're at a stand still.

Anchor Bay wanted to do something with it, and we were in discussions, but it all falls under Malek's approval and he won't cooperate (or even return my emails or phone calls).

No biggie... at least we've preserved the materials and kept it all from being destroyed. Maybe, if we take up a collection, we'll be able to at least transfer it all! Hahah! Anyone got about $100,000???
Wow, I'm really suprised at that. To me Halloween is up there with Psycho and Night of the Living Dead. Just flat-out, untouchable classics. You would think The Akkad family would be VERY interested in a new way to present/market the film. I guess with Anchor Bay for the most part dropping off the map and the economy being so bad no one wants to put the dough in. That is a damn shame. At the very least I am glad they are in your hands because I know the time will come. If there is one thing about your xfers, Don is that they are what make me buy your releases (or the releases you worked on). Stunning. Really.

I wish Malek had a little more of that cowboy spirit his father had... his Dad made several great movies that were financial risks (but great).... Lion of the Desert comes to mind... anyway - would be great if he at least gave his blessing and sat back to collect profits because I am sure someone would front the cash.

Last edited by Angelman; 02-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #195
FilmFiend
Stalker

Ask Jamie Lee Curtis to help restore the Halloween material.
FilmFiend is online now   Reply With Quote