Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #1996
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

None of this is surprising anymore. Anyone listen to the Deadpit.com interview with Bill? He's... a character. But then again, we all knew that.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #1997
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I just read an email that my Popcorn pre order was cancelled by Amazon due to no repsonse from distributor. I headed over to Code Red's blog and apparently the only way to buy Code Red titles now is through Code Red themselves...they are "cutting out the middle man" as it states in order to turn a better profit and also to keep track on who buys what.
And we the customer will be forced to buy the titles at the SRP price from them then I would guess. Grand.

Perhaps if they promoted their releases more, and marketed them a little better they'd make a profit on more of the titles. When's the last time you saw a Code Red advertisement?

The dude is beyond paranoid:

Quote:
and we can personally answer the complainers since we can check our records to see if they actually bought the dvd or not.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #1998
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I wonder if Scorpion is going the same route?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #1999
x666x
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
And we the customer will be forced to buy the titles at the SRP price from them then I would guess. Grand.

Perhaps if they promoted their releases more, and marketed them a little better they'd make a profit on more of the titles. When's the last time you saw a Code Red advertisement?

The dude is beyond paranoid:
If this company really does not sell a lot of each release then the advertising costs may actually outweigh the potential profit. Perhaps they should experiment with promoting one of their more popular films or a film that would be destined to sell a lot if they put some money into promoting it upon its initial release. It can be a gamble for a company like this. It would be more beneficial to promote a film that they license for dvd,on demand, and some sort of theatrical run for obvious reasons.

Last edited by x666x; 02-19-2012 at 03:12 AM.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #2000
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I wonder if Scorpion is going the same route?
Hopefully not. Compared to Code Red, they're caviar in terms of the quality of their releases and how they promote them. Code Red has to settle for being canned anchovies.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #2001
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Not sure how this will help with sales. Sure they will make more money from each unit sold, but how many will sell without listings on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc? But if it works for them and gets more obscure movies released, then I'm all for it.

It was weird that in the blog post a shot was taken at rental stores. Are the dozen or so independently owned stores that order Code Red titles to keep their collections complete really cutting into business? I tend not to blind buy, so if I'm not able to go to my local indie store and rent them then I won't be buying.

And as far as the Scorpion comparison goes, the companies may be ran by brothers and each have a WWE Diva horror host, but they have nothing in common. I'm happy with what Code Red has released in the past, but Scorpion on average releases better movies, with better quality prints, and better bonus features. It's also awesome that we never have to hear Scorpion whining about sales and arguing with customers.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #2002
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

If this will cut out the middle man and give Code Red higher profits, then good for them. However, since there will no longer be merchants taking a cut, I hope this allows for lower SRPs. As long as the prices are reasonable, I have no problem buying directly from Code Red.

The only thing that has me weary is that this could be one step closer to them going the DV-R route.

Last edited by CPT HOOK; 04-01-2012 at 06:50 PM.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #2003
dave13
HackMaster

so this is why their titles have become unavailable through amazon. bummer, i had a couple of titles waiting in my inbox for around $10 a piece that i was waiting on, trying to exercise a little responsibility in my spending habits. apparently that was a mistake (moderate consumption be damned, i think, is the take-home message here). but what does he mean at the bottom that this will only apply to smaller titles? because it looks to me that ALL titles are now unavailable from amazon. or at least from amazon private sellers. I'm really curious to see how this works out. Bill may have his issues, but my 30 or so code red dvds are some of my favorites, and i'd like to be able to keep building my collection. Here's hoping he offers reasonable prices. If we're buying straight from the horses mouth, any titles costing more than $15 would need to be seriously justified. If they come in at a decent price-point, however, then I can see becoming a regular customer.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #2004
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
If we're buying straight from the horses mouth, any titles costing more than $15 would need to be seriously justified. If they come in at a decent price-point, however, then I can see becoming a regular customer.
And let's also hope they don't overcharge on shipping. I would assume he's going to charge at or near the SRP (to make his "profit"), but if shipping charges are also going to be excessive...this might suck for us.

I also wonder if he'll even be able to offer all titles to people overseas, due to licensing/region restrictions of some releases.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #2005
foller
Stalker

This 'Bill' is so unprofessional. He hasn't even updated his own website for months. All the titles listed as coming soon have already been released. I don't think that this will be positive for us. I have always ordered from DVDpacific because their rates were very low. I don't think that I will blind buy as many DVDs anymore than I used to. I am sure that the prices will be much higher, especially in the shipping department.

And I really don't want to deal with this weirdo when it comes to returns, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if he rejected an enquiry or order because someone said something negative about one of his releases. I can imagine him sitting in front of his 'personal customer list' double-checking names...
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #2006
Stige
HackMaster

sheesh

I'm guessing they will sell even less now, I'm sure some people ( like me) bought some of the titles as "recommended" by amazon and such. Hate to be "that guy" but not sure myself if I want my info and card numbers used at yet another site online. And I'm foreign , so I guess no more code red for me....

Not a problem really, until night warning and savage streets come out IF they are true upgrades from what I already have.
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #2007
eric_angelus
Testacular

While I think it is good idea for a company to offer direct to the buyer so they offer more obscure films (ie Warner Archive) I would also fear credit card information being given to him. While I don't think he would purposely rip someone I off, I shudder to think about the chain of snarky hate mail that one would have to go through if an order was ever lost, mis-shipped, or damaged. I have had things go lost with amazon and had them replaced (at their expense) two or three times over the last decade. Of course, they are a big company and can afford to do something like this in the name of customer service. If the post office lost a DVD from Code Red in the delivery process I can see the situation getting real ugly real fast. So yeah, I guess I will just have to live without Ghost Keeper.
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #2008
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Sucks - I had a nice little run of getting Code Red DVD's for less than $10 each through Borders and Deep Discount with all the random coupon deals.

Forget Popcorn, where's GhostKeeper?!?!?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #2009
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post
sheesh

I'm guessing they will sell even less now, I'm sure some people ( like me) bought some of the titles as "recommended" by amazon and such. Hate to be "that guy" but not sure myself if I want my info and card numbers used at yet another site online. And I'm foreign , so I guess no more code red for me....

Not a problem really, until night warning and savage streets come out IF they are true upgrades from what I already have.
Yeah, I bought a lot of Code Red titles as complete "blind buys" — but since the prices will obviously now not be as competitive as I could usually order them on say Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc... I almost certainly won 't be buying as many CR titles as I have in the past.

I think Bill will find that he's not going to make the type of huge profits he wishes for with this new business model.

And this entire "track which customers actually own them" almost sounds like a gestapo formula.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #2010
JGrendel
HackMaster

Yeah count me out too
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote